"I Aint Got Nobody Much (And Nobody Cares For Me)"

H

Hippie Dribble

1915. music Spencer Williams; lyric Roger Graham (though authorship and composition credits are debated to this day)

popular standard recorded by artists in various genres, ranging from country to jazz to pop to folk. Notable among them are Cliff Edwards, Bing Crosby, Cab Calloway, Fats Waller, Merle Haggard and Rosemary Clooney. (And as Bill just reminded me, the great David Lee Roth!)

Hope you enjoy my own ragged rendition, ukulele swing style! Thanks for watching friends. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC12RTYOsAk

Love it. LOVE it.
Every detail of the singing and the playing and, good golly, the tie.
Just aces.

stunning as ever jon, loved your singing on this particular track, and you always choose such great surroundings to record as well, so you not just a aural delight, its visual as well, dont forget to pm me yours and the Mrs, t- shirt sizes :)

I love this song, but as a native son of Ustica, it seems your description, while including David Lee Roth (ick), does not include the beautiful son of Ustica's most famous lady, Angelina Caravella.
Head in hand, heart on sleeve...I send this subtle reminder, lest we all forget.

OK- now I will stop being a dork and tell you that that was so well done it made me sing right along, and it touched me almost as much as watching Louis do his thing (because nothing touches a cheeky dago, who's parents came from the same places he did, the way Louis Prima does...it just does not happen). You hit that tune out of the park Jon.
As for Louis...I have spent every day of the last twenty years making Melissa look at me the same way Keely looked at Louis (like he was the biggest ass she had ever met), and I hope to do so for the next 20 ;)

Last edited:
Oh Jon, I suspect that you don't realize how amazingly talented you are. That piece was perfection and a joy to watch and listen. I feel blessed to have you on UU. You enrich us with your talent. And that is one purty ukulele your mama and papa got you.

Love it. LOVE it.
Every detail of the singing and the playing and, good golly, the tie.
Just aces.
thanks lulu! the tie I found in an op shop a few weeks ago for 50cents. :eek:
Great song Jon. That new uke really sounds sweet.

Thanks for sharing
thanks vf. yeah this a lovely uke mate, I'm very blessed
As always, first class job.
Love the way you have your tie tied.
cheers Alan. he he...dodgy effort on the tie tieing wasn't it :p

stunning as ever jon, loved your singing on this particular track, and you always choose such great surroundings to record as well, so you not just a aural delight, its visual as well, dont forget to pm me yours and the Mrs, t- shirt sizes :)
I filmed it one of our 3 delapidated sheds...seemed to fit the 'down-and-out' sentiment of the song. Thanks for your awesome encouragment brother
You ain't got nobody??? I guess you got a lot of fans round here:smileybounce:
cheers Ukelites. You too... :)
Another delight, Jon! And - I love the way each vid you do is a little visual work of art as well! :D
thanks Lesley. Didn't have to arrange anything either...the junk was all there in its glory...only had to sit down next to it he he

Another excellent job. You really made the song your own.
thanks a lot Geoff
Wonderful Jon, loved it.
cheers Cam, really kind of you brother. Thanks for your selfless encouragment to all of us posters here on this board. Still patiently waiting for the racing season to end, so you can start showing these folks your incredible talent... :)
I love this song, but as a native son of Ustica, it seems your description, while including David Lee Roth (ick), does not include the beautiful son of Ustica's most famous lady, Angelina Caravella.
Head in hand, heart on sleeve...I send this subtle reminder, lest we all forget.

OK- now I will stop being a dork and tell you that that was so well done it made me sing right along, and it touched me almost as much as watching Louis do his thing (because nothing touches a cheeky dago, who's parents came from the same places he did, the way Louis Prima does...it just does not happen). You hit that tune out of the park Jon.
As for Louis...I have spent every day of the last twenty years making Melissa look at me the same way Keely looked at Louis (like he was the biggest ass she had ever met), and I hope to do so for the next 20 ;)

thanks so much for this clip Dave. Alas, I must confess total ignorance of Louis Prima...not anymore. Thanks for awakening me out of my shameful slumber mate. He's another one on my hit list now...

Jon -

this is just so laid back and realaxed. Great accompaniment, and fantastic vocal performance. Great, great job!!!
thanks John. Any praise from you is worth a huge amount to me mate, thanks for chiming in
Oh Jon, I suspect that you don't realize how amazingly talented you are. That piece was perfection and a joy to watch and listen. I feel blessed to have you on UU. You enrich us with your talent. And that is one purty ukulele your mama and papa got you.
thanks Rox, so sweet of you to write these things to me mate. As for the uke, still getting over the shock of having it...but now that I've put a few inevitable strum marks on her, I'm relaxing a bit more with it now and really enjoying it. Look forward to spending many hours with this one. It will stay precious to me for the rest of my life :)

I have had this stuck in my head ALL weekend! Great song!

Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
Did I miss the one too....Darn...must have been when my computer was down... Loved it...an old favorite....keep um coming...Your friend, Stan

popular standard recorded by artists in various genres, ranging from country to jazz to pop to folk. Notable among them are Cliff Edwards, Bing Crosby, Cab Calloway, Fats Waller, Merle Haggard and Rosemary Clooney. (And as Bill just reminded me, the great David Lee Roth!)

And Marty Feldman in Young Frankenstein

Thanks, Dave. Roth's version was almost note-for-note Louis Prima's, but I always loved Keely Smith's singing, and her "bored" stage presence. She might have looked like she was phoning it in, but she brought so much to the stage.

-Kurt​

Jon, this might be my favorite uke video ever; and I must've watched in the thousands these last few years. About 54 of the 139 views are mine, by the way. Haha. You make that Collings sounds so good. It's not even fair, because I'll buy one and expect it to sound just as good as yours, full well knowing after years of playing that it's not the uke- it's the player. Oh well, I'm gonna keep trying anyway, with you and everyone else around here as my inspiration. This is perfection, dude.

Top Bottom