Aquila strings...

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
Is it just me, or are they stupidly high tension ? If so, is this how they "transform" cheaper Ukes ?

What is "high" tension for you?

I recently had a Makala Dolphin w/ the original black strings (GHS?) and my Makala Soprano (restrung w/ Aquila) side by side and couldn't feel a difference in playing.

They don't seem particularly high tension to me. I have them on a concert and on a soprano in D-tuning and the are fine. They are quite hard which is particularly noticeable on the high tuned soprano so I'm planning to try some others.

i found the worth brown bf's i put on super high tension was like cheese cutting wire, that was on my sk35g, by the way i was having trouble with the c-string they sent me a replacement new uke today ???? im not sure if i like it or if it sounds right, think that bruko #6 is on the cards.
I am not a great lover of Aquia's, this just a personal choice/taste, i love Martin M600's, but i also think each uke is different and our ears have different tastes to, but i know so far the only strings that sound good to me on a ohanask35g are martin;s m600s, that or a saw cutting it up lol :)

I'm having a hard time fretting the Aquilas. I've dropped the tuning half a step to F# and it's a lot more playable. I'm wondering if a set of Low G low (medium?) tension Worths might be better or more comfortable, or if I'll have to make a set up from classical strings.

If anyone has any suggestions along these lines I'd be grateful: "low tension" (I know that's subjective), low G, preferably plain G, but wound isn't a problem particularly.

I think they fall somewhere between Worth mediums (CM) and Worth hards (CH). Not particularly high tension, but a bit higher than some others and almost certainly higher than the cheap strings that come on some low and medium priced ukes.

John

Never considered Aquilas to have a high tension myself. I find them comfortable myself. Horses for courses..

Anyone ?

There's a reward.

/waves packet of Peanut Butter M&M's
For a Bounty Bar I'd be there if I could! Seriously - I think perhaps the only way to get your answer is to get a few different sets of strings and try 'em all out... good luck with it - I've only ever used Aquilas to replace the cheap strings on my ukes and I really like them, though I'm going to try some Worth clears at some point.

I'm having a hard time fretting the Aquilas. I've dropped the tuning half a step to F# and it's a lot more playable. I'm wondering if a set of Low G low (medium?) tension Worths might be better or more comfortable, or if I'll have to make a set up from classical strings.

If anyone has any suggestions along these lines I'd be grateful: "low tension" (I know that's subjective), low G, preferably plain G, but wound isn't a problem particularly.

Honestly, you really don't want the softest strings you can find. Much better to build up your fingers a bit. After a while you won't notice the tension at all whereas if you go with soft strings you're pretty much stuck with low volume and (arguably) poorer tone forever. That doesn't mean you have to get bridge cables - but you do need a certain amount of tension to get the "slap" out of the strings.

John

I used to use flatwounds on an old Gretsch that could have held a bridge up, but that was nothing compared to these Aquilas.

I used to use flatwounds on an old Gretsch that could have held a bridge up, but that was nothing compared to these Aquilas.

Hmmmm, I just don't get it. I've got Aquila strings on my mahogany tenor and if anything they're a bit softer than the Ko'Olau golds on my other tenor. They are definitely lighter than the Worth CM strings. Is the action maybe pretty high? That would make them seem higher tension than they are because you have to push them so much further...

John

Hmmmm, I just don't get it. I've got Aquila strings on my mahogany tenor and if anything they're a bit softer than the Ko'Olau golds on my other tenor. They are definitely lighter than the Worth CM strings. Is the action maybe pretty high? That would make them seem higher tension than they are because you have to push them so much further...

John
For what it's worth - I'd guess that the action is too high. Honestly.

The action is approx .8mm @ the 1st fret and 3.8 @ the 12th. I've been hunting around the house for something of similar thickness to the bridge, that I can use as a template before I start shaving bits off the original.

<edit> Just remeasured and it's more like 3mm @ the 12th. Strangely, it's a bit easier this morning. Might be the stupidly hot weather we're having here that's messing with my fingertips*

* Probably the best excuse you'll ever hear for playing like a n00b

Last edited:
I haven't got a tenor but I use Aquilas on my soprano and concert - just measured the height from the top of the 12th fret on both - 2mm. I find that action fine for both strumming and fingerpicking - hope that's helpful! Cheers, Lesley :)

Hi

I have a Kala Solid Acacia tenor and recently swapped from Aquila to Worth browns.

I immediately thought the browns were thinner and harder.

I haven’t tried them but was also recommended the D'Addario Pro Arte J71 Tenor Ukulele Strings which may be worth a try as they are nylon and I would guess would be softer.

Top Bottom