A slap my forehead moment.

Shazzbot

Reaction score
I've been strumming my flea for about 15 months now.
Almost daily.
I finally got around to replacing my aquilas with new ones.
Sheesh!
What a difference.
Sustain, tone, volume - all vastly improved.
Doh!

So how often should I change out my strings?

So how often should I change out my strings?

As often as they need.

No help, I know, but really there is no standard timeframe. Change them when you feel they need changing. Or, when one breaks, cause, you know, that's kind of like a sign.

I read the other day that strings should be changed every 72 days, 15 hours, 32 minutes, and 55 seconds

or

whenever you feel they should be changed.

yeah, depends on the playtime. But I'll tell ya a secret....my first ever higher-end uke was a mya moe mango soprano which I bought about May 2010...I've still got the same strings on it that it arrived with and it still sounds incredible. I just can't wait to hear how it sounds when I do finally change them he he...

All the above is sound advice. Depends on the strings and how hard you been playing them. You can also physically inspect them - can you see any dimples forming from fretting. Lift a string near the nut and rund finger underneath them - feel any grooves or notches indicating wear? Those are indicators that a change may be in order. Most of all though it's a sound thing. If they feel and sound dull, then change em.

Or, when one breaks, cause, you know, that's kind of like a sign.

Yeah, a sign that your Uke' just got 25% easier to play.

Yeah, a sign that your Uke' just got 25% easier to play.

LOL!

My Aquilas last about 5 months, then they get that darn groove along the underside from the frets. They sound dead.

Seconded on the Aquilas after a few months;so I have secretly
started to move over to Worth Browns.Just changed a set I had
fitted almost a year ago, and no grooves or nicks noticeable to
the touch,but the replacement Worth set just sound 'brighter'!

You do realize that if you have too many of those moments people will accuse you of chasing parked cars... :)

It depends a lot on your playing style and on the strings. I use my nails a lot and I can destroy Aquilas pretty fast (3 to 6 weeks with a lot of play) while fluorocarbon strings actually wear my nails down (and last up to a year with the same amount of play). That fluorocarbon is some seriously tough stuff!

John

I truly like the Aquilas on the flea and since I am mostly a thumb strummer, they don't break.
I think I will go 3 or 4 months and change again to see if the difference is noticeable.
No more 15 months though.

@O'phart: When I get out of line, my wife slaps me on the back of the head, so things tend to even out.
As I said on another post, exedrin is my drug of choice....

@O'phart: When I get out of line, my wife slaps me on the back of the head, so things tend to even out.
As I said on another post, exedrin is my drug of choice....

BWAAA-HAAA. Womenses - can't live without 'em and go to jail if you puts 'em in their places! (And, in case anyone doesn't know me well - that's a JOKE from a guy who has been married to the same woman for thirty some odd years - some of them very odd!)

John

I don't change strings. I just buy a new ukulele!

Whenever I find myself wondering whether the strings might need changing, it means they do.

Top Bottom