Mya-Moe Myrtle Low G Tenor on the way-wound G or not?

ukulele64

Reaction score
I have a Mya-Moe being built in June. I know, I'm a lucky fellow. My first handmade uke. It's a low-G tenor with striped myrtle and I originally decided on flourocarbon, but, have since played a bunch of nice tenors-Kamaka, Kanilea, William King, DeVine, and they all had a wound G and I loved the sound. Just wanted to weigh in with thoughts and experiences from others on the pros and cons of wound G tenors.

To my ear, the bass response was more complex due to the different material. At first, I thought I wouldn't like that, but, it worked great on these high quality handmade instruments. If it makes much difference, I will have a K&K pickup installed and will be playing some solo shows with the uke in the Fall. Does the wound G sound different amplified?

Thanks for the help!

Have you asked Gordon for his opinion? I recently received my May-Moe striped myrtle tenor (#635) and had a similar concern after a bad experience using a wound low-g Aquila string set (the low g was too boomy and overwhelmed the rest of the strings). I asked Gordon about this, and this was his response, in part: "The tone of the wound vs. unwound low-g is completely personal opinion. I like them both for different reasons, very much like my feelings about high-g and low-g. We put on way more wound low-g's than fluorocarbon low-g's, but that is because (as you mention) the fluoro low g is very fat and requires such a wide nut slot that you can't then go to a high-g...."

I went with the majority and got a wound low-g string, and I've been very happy with the way it sounds. The wound low-g MM uses doesn't seem to be as boomy as the one that came with my Aquila set, and the sound is therefore more balanced among the strings. My feeling was that as the builders of the ukulele, Mya-Moe ought to know what sounds best on one of its instruments (although people who dislike Kamaka's stock strings say the opposite is true of Kamaka). For what it's worth, I also have a Kamaka tenor strung low-g with Worth clears and an non-wound low-g, and I like the way that sounds too.

By the way, what's the serial number on your Mya-Moe?

Last edited:
One of the advantages of the wound is that many times no modification to the nut is required.
The allows you go between high/low as your tastes change.

Use what Gordon suggests which is a combo of Worth clears and a D'addario wound string. No nut modification, similar tension and good balance, IMO.

Top Bottom