martin?

BIGDB

Reaction score
i just found a ukulele in my grandmas garage and it says martin and it looks pretty old but i dont know what that diamond thing is

Attachments

• IMG_7066.jpg
    IMG_7066.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_7067.jpg
    IMG_7067.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_7068.jpg
    IMG_7068.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
They stopped putting that diamond up there very early on. I would think that it is not later than 1925. Late teens - 1923 would make sense to me. The squared bridge makes me think it is in the earlier part of that time frame. You only see that on the early ones. The striped nut, the "bowtie", and the tuners put it in that general time frame as well.

Yes, a very nice early Martin. Also, quite a desirable and valuable ukulele! You are lucky to find such a gem. Indeed, a style 3, solid Mahogany.

Are you going to play it?

If you decide not to keep it, offer it up for sale here. I know there a lot of members who would love to get their hands on this [ my precious] . I know I would. I read that this is the model Tiny Tim played!

Last edited:
If you decide not to keep it, offer it up for sale here. I know there a lot of members who would love to get their hands on this [ my precious] . I know I would. I read that this is the model Tiny Tim played!
Im never gonna sell this cause they just gave to me so I don't think they would be happy if I did and it sound to good even with a crack

I'm very relieved to find out that Martin put that diamond On though

Thanks for all the advice

Gorgeous! Like finding a Rolls Royce in a barn!!

Martin also used the diamond logo on the Ditson heads. Martin built the Ditson ukes (my favorite) for Ditson, and although they are rare, this shape diamond was on the upper models. (Like your gorgeous Martin...)

Congratulations, what a great and special day!

Glad you aren't selling it; you'd feel haunted everytime you thought about it. How wonderful that she gets to sing again after so many years of silence. Granma gets to play again thru you.

Lovely find! Clean it up and put some new strings on it and play it!

Off topic: I never realized Martin used that diamond logo. Seems Kamoa is using it now?

Cheers,
Skottoman

Yes, a very nice early Martin. Also, quite a desirable and valuable ukulele! You are lucky to find such a gem. Indeed, a style 3, solid Mahogany.

Are you going to play it?
I'm gonna be playin it all the time

There is like one magor crack and two little ones but other than that it's very good condition even with the cracks it still sounds amazing

Does anyone know the price it could go for?

Last edited:
Cracks can be easily repaired I think, and old Martins, while the market is fickle, fetch a lot of money (the only reason I have mine still- I would have hawked it in college for beer if I had not realized that very fact). Hard to say without the seeing the cracks and without seeing what it would do, but I have seen them in the asking range from 1K to 3K. Shoot- I found a style 2 a few weeks back in PERFECT condition- guy wants 5k and would not let me play it (it is in an antique store), he wouldn't play it...and I left feeling he was a little crazy, but who knows- he may get it on sentiment.
Heck of a garage find there mate- I kept mine for 20 years before I learned to play it...please don;t do that- lot of joy in the little buggers.

Congrats I wish my relatives game me a 3M martin too....darn...you know 3 years ago they would have been about 700.00, now prices have skyrocketed it to over 1200 even with the cracks...
happy strummings... yes clean it and polish it... some martin M600 strings from elderly music would be great.....

That's a great find! From what I understand, they didn't put the "kite" on the headstock after 1922 or '23. As for the cracks, they should be a pretty simple repair for a good luthier, and well worth the cost. I just had three cracks repaired in the back of my Style 3. One was pretty big, and the other two were small. The crack repairs and an action adjustment cost me $150. You definitely don't want the cracks to get worse, and stabilizing/repairing them is pretty straightforward and won't affect the value (it will actually make it MORE valuable than having open cracks!).
I wish I had relatives who had played ukulele (or ANY instrument, really) that I could inherit and keep in the family. At least I can pass mine on to my niece and/or nephews one day.

Top Bottom