Chord change Am to G

ukumic

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question about switching from Am to G. I guess the "proper" way of playing an Am chord is to place your middle finger on the 4th string, which comes in handy if the next chord is an F, for example. But what if the next chord is a G? For me it's easier to then use my index finger for the Am in order to quickly switch to G. So do you think there's a problem with that like losing flexibility, bad style in some way, etc.?

I might add that the thumb of my left hand is usually placed in the back of the center of the neck, so when switching from Am (using my middle finger) to G there is a small fraction of time where I'm not really holding the neck and it wants to drop. I hope you guys out there with (or without) the same problem know what I mean. ;)

I think it's okay, though if you practice the other way it will become easy as well... I actually play the G different then most of the other people I've seen so far, I switched the middle and pointer fingers when I started the Uke, dunno why, but it totally works for me. so I think that thing with your a should not be a problem...

learn to play that Am with all five of your fingers. then, no matter what chord is coming next, you will be prepared.

its a chord that requires only 1 string to be fretted. in that sense, there is no improper way to play it, as long as you can do it without deadening or buzzing the C string.

Hi,

I have a question about switching from Am to G. I guess the "proper" way of playing an Am chord is to place your middle finger on the 4th string, which comes in handy if the next chord is an F, for example. But what if the next chord is a G? For me it's easier to then use my index finger for the Am in order to quickly switch to G. So do you think there's a problem with that like losing flexibility, bad style in some way, etc.?

I wouldn't worry about what's proper or anything. It's an ukulele, not a violin. Use whatever finger you want. If it's more comfortable to fret it with your nose, then use your nose. Whatever works, my friend.

I might add that the thumb of my left hand is usually placed in the back of the center of the neck, so when switching from Am (using my middle finger) to G there is a small fraction of time where I'm not really holding the neck and it wants to drop. I hope you guys out there with (or without) the same problem know what I mean. ;)

There is a way to hold the uke so that you don't need your left hand as support at all. The forearm of your strumming hand should be applying slight pressure to the ukulele, keeping it against your body and off the floor.

If you can't hold the ukulele like this, you can get a strap, or you can just play sitting down and rest the uke on your lap.

learn to play that Am with all five of your fingers. then, no matter what chord is coming next, you will be prepared.
Wow. I only have four fingers on either of my hands... that extra digit must make for some interesting chord constructions... :rolleyes:

Wow. I only have four fingers on either of my hands... that extra digit must make for some interesting chord constructions... :rolleyes:

he was talking about the thumb too.

have your tried barring the G chord with your middle finger, then playing the E-string 3rd fret with your ring finger. It gets some practice to not mute the G string, but it helps for me.

actually i thought about that post for a good while. and i figured there would be a lot less people pointing out that i only have four fingers and one thumb on each hand as compared to how many people would try to point out that i forgot to mention one finger, had i said "all four fingers".

one of those damned if i do, damned if i dont situations. it was just a calculated scientific wild ass guess that there would be less smart-asses that would point out that the thumb is not a finger, than the other way around. hahaha.

on the other hand, i didnt wanna waste my breath (as i am now) by saying "learn to play that Am with all four fingers and your thumb". but i wanted to be clear that the thumb was included in that statement.

next time i will refer to them as "all five phalanges". ;)

Top Bottom