New Uke Day - KoAloha Long Neck Soprano

Thinker

Reaction score
Hi,

I'll post photos tomorrow, but I unboxed an incredible KoAloha Long Neck Soprano that HMS and MGM shipped over to me. I was blown away by how loud and clear this thing sounds. It plays incredibly easy and looks flawless.

Update: Pics added.Image 1.jpgImage.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! KoAloha does a great thin body, clear sounding, bright and detailed sounding uke!

They are great ukes!
Cheers,
Skottoman

Congrats! KoAloha does a great thin body, clear sounding, bright and detailed sounding uke!

They are great ukes!
Cheers,
Skottoman

I was completely unprepared for the amount of sound that escapes that small body. It's great!

Thinker, I'm a week into ownership of my soprano with tenor neck from HMS and I agree with your assessment. I had a KoAloha soprano standard in the past, but really found the neck tight (although, in reference to one of your other threads, I could reach the fifth fret easily on it---lol). I wanted a tenor necked soprano.

I, actually, within a few days, found the stock KoAloha clear "Worth" strings too bright. At first I thought, "wow, loud and cool", but after a few days I came to realize that the notes were not distinct enough--it was puckering lips bright.

So, on go a set of Worth Brown Mediums, and it's much more to my liking. Only a few dBs off the volume, but tons more clarity string to string. Each string is more individual now, plucking or strumming--each more distinct.

I have no idea if what I am speaking of pertains to your concert-neck soprano (I think that's what the long neck is). Looking forward to your photos, and a review. Cheerio.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I bet you'll fall in love.

I THINK this is enough for now! Pic attached. I'm delighted with my suite of ukes.

Image 1.jpg

Image.jpg

Thinker, I'm a week into ownership of my soprano with tenor neck from HMS and I agree with your assessment. I had a KoAloha soprano standard in the past, but really found the neck tight (although, in reference to one of your other threads, I could reach the fifth fret easily on it---lol). I wanted a tenor necked soprano.

I, actually, within a few days, found the stock KoAloha clear "Worth" strings too bright. At first I thought, "wow, loud and cool", but after a few days I came to realize that the notes were not distinct enough--it was puckering lips bright.

So, on go a set of Worth Brown Mediums, and it's much more to my liking. Only a few dBs off the volume, but tons more clarity string to string. Each string is more individual now, plucking or strumming--each more distinct.

I have no idea if what I am speaking of pertains to your concert-neck soprano (I think that's what the long neck is). Looking forward to your photos, and a review. Cheerio.

Yes - I have a concert neck Soprano. You're right - now that there are tenor necks....one should specify!

I loved the sound of the soprano tenor when HMS posted a clip. I thought it was dramatic! For me, since I am new and have a great tenor, I wanted something smaller to try out for me and my family. You might be right. These strings are bright - though very clear. But I haven't had much time with it. I just put Aquilla's on my tenor (I need to restring E - I mucked it up a little) and love the sound and the feel. I've been reading a lot about the Worth Browns. I'm not experienced enough to know fine details, but I know the Aquilla's made a huge difference on my tenor.

Yay, pictures! What a lovely family! (I THINK you may be mistaken......[hah hah hah].)

Kathryn

I am probably just a little biased but I think the KoAloha longneck (concert) soprano is the best ukulele deal on the planet!

Here's hoping you enjoy yours half as much as I enjoy mine...wait...that sounds wrong...hopefully you know what I meant. :)

John

I am probably just a little biased but I think the KoAloha longneck (concert) soprano is the best ukulele deal on the planet!

Here's hoping you enjoy yours half as much as I enjoy mine...wait...that sounds wrong...hopefully you know what I meant. :)

John

You realize that saying something like this is like practically forcing me to get out my Mastercard, right?.......

Keep. It. In. The. Wallet.

Kathryn

You realize that saying something like this is like practically forcing me to get out my Mastercard, right?.......

Keep. It. In. The. Wallet.

Kathryn

Heh, heh. Occupational hazard around here...

John

Where does one find one of these, everywhere I look they are out of stock. I did send a message to HMS a few days ago, nothing yet so I'll keep looking.

Congrats on your uke - it looks beautiful!!

Where does one find one of these, everywhere I look they are out of stock. I did send a message to HMS a few days ago, nothing yet so I'll keep looking.

There was one here on the marketplace a day or so ago - not sure if it's sold yet. Looked like a pretty darn good price on it too. $525 shipped with a hard case, if I remember right, though I wasn't personally crazy about the blue case.

I actually got mine here on the marketplace about 18 months or so ago. I was getting ready to order one from MGM (back when he had his own shop) when I stumbled across a brand new fresh listing for a used one on the marketplace and snapped it up. As soon as it arrived I sold the KoAloha concert that I'd bought from MGM. (This was back when I was buying and selling ukes like crazy trying to settle on what I liked the most - I finally settled on concert scale but liked the soprano body sound better - still do.)

One nice thing about the higher-end ukes is when you do sell you don't lose much of your investment unless you've beat the daylights out of the thing. I offered the concert with the caveat that I wasn't willing to lose much more than shipping costs on it or I'd just keep it and it sold within a few days. By contrast, most of the time the "lesser" ukes (which might be very good ukes, BTW) often go for well below their new price when sold used.

John

On the other hand, I know my AmEx number by heart, along with the expiration and security code. No removal from wallet required!

Kathryn

Ahhh...I wish life were so simple - I've got six or seven cards (don't ask, I'm not sure why, maybe because it makes my wallet fat) and I'm old and shopworn so things like remembering numbers takes way too many of my limited remaining brain cells.

I don't even try to remember my debit card number (though I do remember the expiration and security code) and that's the one I use 99.9% of the time!

John

Diane, do look at the other active thread now where someone asks about long neck sopranos for more info (and John and Jane have replied there, too). The tenor neck, same price including case as the concert with some new features, is in stock at HMS (I think). See that thread. Plus, as you said, Brad could make you one. LOL Cheers, friend.

HMS was awesome to deal with. Contact Andrew Kitakis. I have found both him and Music Guy Mike super responsive.

Give it another try. If they didn't reach you it was likely a fluke.

Top Bottom