Changing strings on a Koa Pili Koko....?

SpeedBump

Reaction score
Well - I can't figure it out. :(

Can someone please explain to me how to change strings on a KPK? I've done it successfully on my Mahalo, but the bridge on the KPK is different and I just can't see how to thread a string through the holes - 'cause the holes are within the bridge itself. :(

I don't need to change the strings yet - I'm just trying to figure it out in advance.

Thanks.

If it's a tie on bridge, the string enters from the rear of the bridge. Just look at it, it's pretty much self explanitory.....

If it's a tie on bridge, the string enters from the rear of the bridge. Just look at it, it's pretty much self explanitory.....

This is the kind of "answer" that keeps beginners from asking questions. I, too, would like to know how to do this - for when the time arrives. After all, it is the beginners section......and please, please don't tell me "look it up".

Early morning rant over.

Kathryn

Alas, I don't think it's a tie-on bridge and if it was that self-explanatory, I wouldn't have had to ask the question. Believe me, I've studied this thing and I simply can't work it out. Hence the question - as kvehe pointed out, in the beginner's forum, where 'silly' questions are expected.

Anyway - here's a photo of the bridge. It looks like there's nothing to loop the string around - as if you need to tie a good, strong knot in the end of the string and then slot it into the bridge. Any advice will be much appreciated.

koa-pili-koko-9.jpg

Hello SpeedBump,
Your bridge where it is touching the uke top has the 4 indents into the wood which is hiding the knots on each string. The grooves or slots make their way with the strings from there to the nut. Whenever you restring make a double figure eight knot on the smaller gauge strings. The heavier C string will only need the one figure eight knot. I hope that helps. Thanks for the picture to help clarify your query.
Regards
1931jim

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! Answered my query perfectly! Now can't wait til I need to change my strings! The knot is the answer! Thank you!

A picture says more than a thousand words.....

Top Bottom