You All Have A Great Sense of Humor...Thanks

frets alot

Reaction score
I'm new here, but noticed someting very interesting...people who belong to UU generally have a great sense of humor. I belong to other forums for my other instruments, but those folks aren't as fun as you are here. Don't get me wrong...the other forums are great. But, the people here are different...in a good way. Maybe since the uke is such a fun instrument to play, the folks that play are just naturally fun. Maybe you have your own thoughts on that. Just an observation on my part and I wated to thank you all for making my new endeavor just that much more fun.
Susie ;)

Everyone in England has the same sense of humour (apart from Liverpool, but don't get me started on them). The danger is that you colonists have a totally different sense of humour overall, and sometimes don't "get" sarcasm/irony etc, which often leads to misinterpretation and a bit of a falling-out, until apologies are made and things get straightened out.

That said, I've only ever managed to offend one person on Kauai...that was my intention though. I have friends from all over the USA, and I've noticed that what someone on the west coast finds hilarious, someone on the east coast might find offensive.

Hi Susie and welcome! You are right, everyone here is fun and we have fun too. How can you not, playing such a fun instrument. I think if everyone in the world could play ukulele, the world would have less conflicts. Maybe no wars at all! To quote a great man, "Imagine".

Hello frets alot,
The folks in Northern Michigan are real cool. Especially the 3rd week of February.
jim

The uke has a certain whimsy to it. I think it probably attracts people who have that as part of their personality.

Hi Susie, this has been discussed before. Who knows for sure but the uke is a friendly instrument and maybe a little bit quirky and attracts fun people. I also think credit should go to a great group of moderators. I have experienced with local gatherings that the uke group is a welcoming fun group, the accordion group I went to not so much

Playing the blues on a ukulele is an expression of musical sarcasm!

Yeah, I said that.

To paraphrase Jean-Paul Sartre: I uke, therefore I laugh. :D

I think I'm going to have alot of fun with this. Glad I finally got my head screwed on straight and got a uke. Or, from the sounds of it, maybe my head isn't screwed on straight and that's why I got into it. Who knows.

""You must be either a snowmobiler or a skier, just a guess.""
Business isn't too good these days. I shovel snow on driveways for my uke string fund. A pensioner does what he can.

Last edited:
To paraphrase Jean-Paul Sartre: I uke, therefore I laugh. :D

I hate to be "that guy" but I tend to play the role rather nicely -- just ask Kahuna ;P

Anyway, it wasn't Sartre whom you're paraphrasing. It's Descartes, who uttered "Cogito ergo sum"

Funny thing though, one day Descartes was in a cafe ordering an Espresso when the waiter asked if he'd also like a croissant. After contemplating if tor a moment, he said, "I think not" then promptly vanished.

True story.

....The danger is that you colonists have a totally different sense of humour overall, and sometimes don't "get" sarcasm/irony etc, which often leads to misinterpretation and a bit of a falling-out, until apologies are made and things get straightened out....

Take that back!

I see nothing funny about the ukulele or the people on this forum. Goodbye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

A guy walks into a bar with his ukulele and the bartender asks him what he'll have. He says, "Give me a beer and a strum punch over chunk ice for my little friend here." (rim shot, groans)

Top Bottom