iPad stand for uke songbooks

fretie

Reaction score
When we attended a uke meetup in Hawaii earlier this year we saw that many of the players had the group's songbook as pdf files on their iPads.
They had their iPads mounted, for easy viewing, on a stand, kind of like a music stand but made specifically for an iPad.

Do you use a stand like that for you iPad? Any feedback on it - pros, cons....?

Fil, do you know if this stand would mount on a music stand as well. I'm thinking that mic stands may use thicker tubing than music stands.

thanks,
Erin

Fretie, they were probably using regular mic stands, with iPad adapters. Everyone in my band uses them. There are a few different companies making them. I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064EGHV2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

I like it because I can easily rotate from landscape to portrait as needed.

- FiL

I do not know definitively. It may work with one of those old-school black metal stands (though if you have one of those, you might as well just put the ipad right on the stand), but definitely not for the skinny fold-up type of music stands.

- FiL

OK, thanks.

I do not know definitively. It may work with one of those old-school black metal stands (though if you have one of those, you might as well just put the ipad right on the stand), but definitely not for the skinny fold-up type of music stands.

- FiL

Fretie, they were probably using regular mic stands, with iPad adapters. Everyone in my band uses them. There are a few different companies making them. I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064EGHV2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

I like it because I can easily rotate from landscape to portrait as needed.

- FiL

OKay...that's just majorly cool. I should get...no, come to think of it I'll just keep using my music stand...for some strange reason they won't let me have a microphone... :)

John

Hey fretie
I bought a stand at a kiosk that Verizon had a year ago, they were discounted out for half price. No need to get a big stand, this one is heavy & does not block the view, made for Ipad. Maybe look on Amazon or ? for this stand, I believe it was made for Ipad 1. Maybe it was just Verizon who handled it.

Hey fretie
I bought a stand at a kiosk that Verizon had a year ago, they were discounted out for half price. No need to get a big stand, this one is heavy & does not block the view, made for Ipad. Maybe look on Amazon or ? for this stand, I believe it was made for Ipad 1. Maybe it was just Verizon who handled it.

Do you have a photo somewhere of the stand you bought from Verizon? Thanks!

I got the "Gig Easy" holder and short mic stand, and I like it very much. Here is the US url– http://www.thegigeasy.com/index.html
I even got the "Air Turn" foot switch. I had a regular mic stand, which is good if you're standing, but the short size they offer on their website is perfect for sitting, and a lot easier (shorter and lighter) to carry around. I really didn't want to put my nice iPad on a standard folding music stand... it felt unsafe/ unbalanced, and it would be so disastrous if somebody bumped it passing by. If you get the Gig Easy iPad holder, make sure you get the right one for your iPad model. The newest iPad needs the iPad 2 version, so that the camera isn't blocked by the holder.

I refuse going back to lugging books and reams of paper that weigh more than a uke. It is great to have all my music with me all the time.

–Lori

I got the "Gig Easy" holder and short mic stand, and I like it very much. Here is the US url– http://www.thegigeasy.com/index.html
I even got the "Air Turn" foot switch. I had a regular mic stand, which is good if you're standing, but the short size they offer on their website is perfect for sitting, and a lot easier (shorter and lighter) to carry around. I really didn't want to put my nice iPad on a standard folding music stand... it felt unsafe/ unbalanced, and it would be so disastrous if somebody bumped it passing by. If you get the Gig Easy iPad holder, make sure you get the right one for your iPad model. The newest iPad needs the iPad 2 version, so that the camera isn't blocked by the holder.

I refuse going back to lugging books and reams of paper that weigh more than a uke. It is great to have all my music with me all the time.

–Lori

Oh man oh man oh man oh man! Thank you Lori! I'm going to get that puppy with the air turn swtich when I get back from UWC. Biggest problem I've had since we went to a dark stage format was trying to fit two pages of music on one page of iPad in a format I could both read with my lousy vision and not get totally lost in. Rehearsal went so badly Wednesday night I was seriously considering asking our band leader to find a replacement for me. This may be the solution!

John

Oh man oh man oh man oh man! Thank you Lori! I'm going to get that puppy with the air turn swtich when I get back from UWC. Biggest problem I've had since we went to a dark stage format was trying to fit two pages of music on one page of iPad in a format I could both read with my lousy vision and not get totally lost in. Rehearsal went so badly Wednesday night I was seriously considering asking our band leader to find a replacement for me. This may be the solution!

John
Glad I could help. There are several apps you can use from the iTunes app store. I am using OnSong, but I hear there are other good ones too. Some people just use pdf viewers/ readers, so there are lots of choices.

–Lori

I don't have an iPad myself, but this topic is very useful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom