Resawing Madrone

Michael Smith

Reaction score
Have any of you resawn madrone. I'm on my way to get a truck load and wondering if it is best resawn right away like the acacias or billeted and left to dry for a time.

Good luck either way. Madrone is very prone to cracking and twisting. Larger pieces left to dry slowly might give you a better chance at getting something usable. I used a piece of madrone for a neck, but I probably won't do that again. Although it carves and works nicely, I think it a little too heavy.

I've seen a couple of nice guitars made from madrone and a dulcimer. That's what lead me down this path.

Here is what I have so far. It resaws green like butter. Easily the nicest wood I have resawed to date as far as ease of resawing. Has Decent flame when cut right on the quarter. I have stickerd well and anchor sealed the ends and am hopeful.
madrone.jpgmadrone2.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, the stuff I have rarely shows that kind of color or grain. Mine is usually more cream colored, and the grain is often indiscernible. I agree that it is a very nice wood to work with, and very pretty. Hope it works out for you.

Top Bottom