New uke day!! Wooooo!!!!

UK Paulie

Reaction score
God I love new uke days!! I think the feeling I get on days like these is to blame for my UAS!! Anyway, so I collected it from the parcel depot late this morning. Its a Pono RTSH5 which is a cedar top, rosewood back and sides little bundle of angel-song!! I heard it described as just like the maple one but with added honey and thats a pretty great description. It has Abalone purfling and an abalone rosette, ebony fingerboard and bridge, ebony binding front and back and I got the fantastic folks at Hawaii Music supply to install a Mi-Si pick-up. It seems quieter than my Koaloha but thats to be expected I guess and plus, being all solid-woods, it will only get better. Off to play some now, cheers :shaka:

Ho! Bruddah Paul!!!

CONGRATS on your new Pono RTSH - E (Mi-Si)!!!:cheers: What a great day! Aloha Friday, too!!!:nana:

Enjoy your new acquisition and have a great weekend, Brah!!!

Malama pono

Congratulations! I hope you love your new Pono ukulele as much as I love my Pono solid mahogany baritone. And yeah, we need pics.

We need some photographic...or better, video...evidence here...

Congrats on what I've heard is a pretty good uke.

Honestly, I wouldn't be real surprised if it doesn't ever get as loud as your KoAloha (KoAloha ukes are loud, loud, loud and sweet, sweet sweet) but the key is to celebrate the differences! If it was just like the KoAloha why have both, right?

My KoAloha is still definitely the king of my personal little heap when it comes to volume and tone but I have a couple of other "lesser" ukes that don't give up much to it and the cool thing is that they each have their own character.

Another thing - I don't think I'd want a pickup in my KoAloha - it is so lively that I'm afraid feedback might well be a problem. My ukes that have MiSi pickups aren't quite as crazy loud as the KoAloha and that is probably a good thing because I don't have problems with feedback! Likewise, it's probably a good thing that your Pono is not quite as "alive" as your KoAloha if you plan on using the pickup a lot.

John

Congrats, that's so exciting! Now you've kept us all hanging without pics...

Thats a really good point John. The koaloha is a right little livewire. If I put a mi-si into that I fear it may attack me...I've been playing the pono for that last hour and you know what? I love it!! I wasn't sure at first (I've been playing the koaloha ALOT lately) but this pono is soooo sweet!! so smooth...If it were a person it would beFrank Sinatra, winking as it strutted through a smokey lounge as if to say "you dont need to be really loud when you can sing like this".....Ah.....I'm not sure about the worth clears on it though. Have any of you guys ever compared worths with D'addario J71's? I would like something with a bit more attack and a bit more sustain too. All in all, its a keeper I reckon. Oh and I'll post pics or a video (maybe both) a bit later or tomorrow. Promise!!

Ho! Bruddah Paul!!!

CONGRATS on your new Pono RTSH - E (Mi-Si)!!!:cheers: What a great day! Aloha Friday, too!!!:nana:

Enjoy your new acquisition and have a great weekend, Brah!!!

Malama pono

Hey thanks Kimo, its a RTSH5 with a mi-si though, not the RTSHE, pics on the way. Have a great rest of Aloha friday and rest of your weekend brother

DSC_0301.jpgDSC_0302.jpg

Some pics as promised but thew light is rubbish so I'll do more or a video in the morning when its daylight here. Cheers

Pono's are so, Awesome!... especially the Slot Heads!...

It is lovely. I hope it brings you many hours of enjoyment.

Paulie, It's beautiful! Congratulations. What kind of strings did you get on it?

Paulie, It's beautiful! Congratulations. What kind of strings did you get on it?

Hi Nickie, thank you. As for strings, it has worth clears on it at the moment. I like them, and will give them some time to settle too but I'll likely try some others when I re-string. Maybe some J71's. Thanks to everyone too, I'm just loving it at the moment. It was all I could do last night to drag myself away for long enough to actually take and post 2 pics....This morning, same deal. The mi-si, by the way, IMHO sounds fantastic!! Really true reproduction of the 'ukulele sound' when I tweak my amp just right, which was what I wanted. As I said to my ex-better half (I know....) last night, if I wanted something to sound like a guitar I'd have bought a guitar...

Ooh it is so pretty. Congratulations!

I agree the rush you get shopping, decided, the anticipation and finally new uke day is the rush that keeps bringing us back for more.

Top Bottom