Does Anyone Have Experience Putti9ng Faikebook Charts on Laptop

Kimosabe

Reaction score
I need to consolidate for a move to Oahu. I can't take my fakebooks with me. Someone suggested photographins the individual charts with a camera on a tripod rather than scanning. I would like to put them on a Macbook Pro. Any experience or advice on getting them to be the right, readable size? I'm not the most experienced computer person. This is my first laptop. thanks

I've used a Hewlett Packard scanner with my macbook, it works pretty well. You can scan to PDF, or other formats, but PDF is good for charts. The resolution is good, and they print out looking pretty close to the originals.

Do you have to adjust size?

I've used a Hewlett Packard scanner with my macbook, it works pretty well. You can scan to PDF, or other formats, but PDF is good for charts. The resolution is good, and they print out looking pretty close to the originals.

Do you have to adjust size?

How many pages are we talking about?

One solution might (might) be to just re-notate everything in something like MuseScore. If you realistically only play 50 or fewer songs, that's totally doable.

If the fake books you're talking about are popular ones, especially the Hal Leonard Real Books, then what you absolutely do not want to do is use torrent software to download already-scanned versions that are out there on the internet. That would be illegal, and I would never recommend that you do that.

JJ

I have nearly all my songs and tunes on computer, but it has taken me many years to build up my collection.

I put the tunes into the computer using a notation editor. Someone suggested Muse Score which seems to be a popular free choice. I am not familiar with it, but the one I use allows me to export the scores as a graphic which I import into a word processor and add the words underneath. I usually have the first verse, and chorus if there is one underneath the notation. With the rest of the verses underneath the dots. Works well for me but it's time consuming and if you have only limited time and a large collection of songs this may not be a practical approach. As a long term project it is worth considering, though.

Otherwise scanning in or photographing your fake books seems the best bet. If you can export to PDF, then fine, otherwise export as JPEG and import to a word processor is probably the next best bet. I would think scanning is a better bet unless you can set your camera up properly to take a clear picture. On the other hand the camera might be better if you can't open your books out flat easily.

I would suggest whatever gets the job done quickly initially, then once you are settled you can gradually tidy things up and build up a good collection in your computer.

Top Bottom