Cedar, 'opening up'?

UK Paulie

Reaction score
Ok, so people talk about cedar 'sounding good' straight away and not going through the same opening up process as, say, spruce. So does that mean that a solid western red cedar top wont open up at all? Or just not as much? In short, will my cedar top ukulele's sound still improve over time??

I think the "opening up" thing depends more on the build than necessarily on the wood.

The only acoustic guitar I ever had that I could say with conviction "opened up" was a cedar-top Seagull S6. For the first three to six months I owned that guitar it literally got better every time I picked it up. I've never had one open up that obviously before or since. By contrast, my Taylor guitar (spruce) that I've had for more than a decade and that has been played far more than that S6 hasn't changed a speck from the day it was new (not that I can tell, anyway). So, if the Taylor opened up at all it did so very slowly - of course, it was an amazingly good guitar to begin with while the Seagull started out just about average for a solid-top guitar.

John

The 1600 yr old red cedar on my Griffin tenor has definitly opened up. He does a French polish so as a result, it's turning into a deep rich brown. I love the cedar for a soundboard. May try redwood nextime.

Top Bottom