PDA

View Full Version : Fifteenth Season of the Ukulele

mattydee
05-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Being for the benefit of Ukulele Underground,

The Fifteenth Season of the Ukulele: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

http://www.mattdanielsonline.com/sgtpepperseasons.jpg

June 1, 2012 will be the 45th Anniversary of this landmark album by the Beatles. This season, we will cover it.

THE CHALLENGE:

Cover a song from the Beatles' 1967 album, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

PARAMETERS:

* one take, no overdubs, unless it is a virtual collaboration (i.e.: split screen using the powers of the technology to join two seasonistas across the globe, see below...)
* ukulele front and centre
* state in your clip that the recording is for the "15th Season of the Ukulele: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band"
* I would love it if we got every song from the album in the competition, which means, for the first time, I am going to actively encourage calling dibs on songs, which should, I hope, allow for more variety. We generally have more seasonistas than the number of songs on the album, so duplicates will certainly be allowed, but let's get into the spirit here! How cool would it be to have a seasons of the uke version of this album! Also, this is a perfect season for collaboration -- get those tight harmonies going. Or get creative -- maybe 4 seasonistas get together virtually to do A Day in The Life, each taking a section of the tune.

To be clear, just because someone else has called dibs on a song doesn't mean you can't do it. I am simply looking for at least one layer of coverage for the whole album. But I do not want to discourage contestants from entering simply because their song choice has previously been spoken for. The album only has 13 tracks, and I hope to have many more entries! The contest is open to all comers.

TRACK LIST:
(EDIT: This is the final track list, including cover artists)

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band strumsilly
With A Little Help From My Friends: ukuleledavey
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds: chrimess
Getting Better: J-peg
Fixing A Hole: thesillydave
She's Leaving Home: weerpool
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!: Rook/Penguinofsorts
Within You Without You: benjoeuke/peewee
When I'm Sixty-four: ukuloonie
Lovely Rita: onlyukethatmaters/penguinofsorts
Good Morning Good Morning: ukuleledaddy/benjoeuke
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise): myrnaukulele
A Day In The Life: TheOnlyUkeThatMatters

and the final playlist!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF338F35CA4C8FCA0

JUDGING CRITERIA:

* Once again, it's just me, judging, though my wife will be helpful in sorting out possible ties.

points awarded in the following criteria:

* Playing /15
* Singing /15
* Overall performance: your ability to sell the song (camera presence; personality; creative flair; x-factor etc...) /10
* Set and Costume /10

for a total score out of a possible 50 points.

* Bonus clause / If, by the end of the week, all the songs from the album have not been covered (or spoken for), bonus points may be awarded for contestants who enter more than one video—provided the extra video is not a duplicate of someone else's called or already recorded entry. At this point, the contestant may choose which of their videos will be the full entry, and which will be bonus. The full entry will be scored as normal, and the bonus entry will be treated as extra credit, worth up to 3 points based on how I fancy it.

This bonus clause will only take effect if by Friday June 1, 11:59PM Central Time, every track has not been spoken for at least once.

(Because of the nature of the contest, please release your song if it looks like you won't make it in time. This way someone else can grab it. If it turns out you've got the time after all, hurrah! You can still record the same cut, but then we won't be scrambling at the end.)

PRIZES:

* The Beatles Companion by Ted Greenwald coffee table book
* The more in-depth bio SHOUT! by Phillip Norman
(Both of these books have been gently used and part of my library for some time.)
* There will also be a brand new set of Martin soprano/concert strings.

First place winner will get first choice of prize, etc...

PARTING SHOTS:

* closing date is Sunday week June 3 @ 11.59pm Hawaiian Time.
* I will be out of town on vacation during some of the week, and away from the internet, so I likely won't be able to respond to queries or update the track list between Tuesday afternoon and Friday afternnon. So play nice in my absence. The weekend the contest closes and the beginning of the week following are busy, too, so our trademark seasonista patience my be required...

Okay, gang: Picture yourself in a boat, on a river, annnnnnnnd...

GO!

ukuloonie
05-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks Mattydee for doing week 15
I'm collecting some prizes and I have a couple of ideas brewing.
for some of the weeks.

ukuleledaveey
05-25-2012, 10:27 PM
wow yourr a legend matty like eugene two goes at running this :) ...... as it's the eurovision song contest saturday night could that be the theme ??????????????

Anyway thanks so much for runnng this again, :worship:

glass
05-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Wow there is a week 15 thanks Matt for keeping it going!

UK Paulie
05-26-2012, 11:05 AM
wow yourr a legend matty like eugene two goes at running this :) ...... as it's the eurovision song contest saturday night could that be the theme ??????????????

Anyway thanks so much for runnng this again, :worship:

Good idea Davey, eh we could have a bit of Johnny Logan!! haha!!! The only time us Irish have ever won anything I think!! lol

mattydee
05-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Find your coat and grab your hat, kids. Details added above.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Dibs encouraged? Okey-doke. I'll do "A Day in the Life". (I need to let both my inner Macca and my inner John out).

mattydee
05-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Boom! Tracklist:

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band strumsilly
With A Little Help From My Friends: ukuleledavey
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds: chrimess
Getting Better: J-peg
Fixing A Hole: thesillydave
She's Leaving Home: Zaki and/or weerpool
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!: Rook
Within You Without You: benjoeuke
When I'm Sixty-four: ukuloonie
Lovely Rita: nscafe
Good Morning Good Morning: RevWill
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise): myrnaukulele
A Day In The Life: TheOnlyUkeThatMatters

Hippie Dribble
05-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Find your coat and grab your hat, kids. Details added above.

coat. check. hat. check. clue about anything to do with the Beatles. um, got some work to do. :o

Thanks Matty, a BIG and AWESOME challenge this week. Looking forward to it mate.

I'll try 'When I'm 64' as it's 1 of 3 in the list I recognise the name of he he...

rook
05-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Calling dibs on 'Kite!" Cheers! :cool:

strumsilly
05-26-2012, 02:20 PM
dibs on when I'm 64, I hope to make it, It's getting closer all the time, haha

chrimess
05-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Dibs on LSD.

ukuleledaveey
05-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Dibs on With A Little Help From My Friends

WOW amazing theme Matty absolutely fantastic, well done mate :) hope we do you proud

nscafe
05-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Since "When I'm 64" is taken (by two people!) I'll take Lovely Rita. :)

eor
05-26-2012, 03:26 PM
what a great theme.............

OldePhart
05-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Cool contest MattyDee! I probably won't be intering (or even entering) because I'll be at UWC (nyah, nyah) but it looks like a lot of fun!

You've also stimulated a couple of my remaining brain cells with this idea and I might be sponsoring another week sometime after UWC.

John

OldePhart
05-26-2012, 03:40 PM

Heh, heh. This would have been my choice too if I'd been able to enter (UWC week - woohoo!)...mostly because I honestly don't expect to make it! (my cardiologist recently told me he was surpised I made fifty given the condition of my heart)

(But, hey, that's okay, I'm cool with it and have no complaints in that regard - I believe where I'm going to be on my 64th birthday is a heck of a lot cooler place than even Needmore Indiana!)

John

J-Peg
05-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Since my first three choices have been called already, I'll call dibs on "Getting Better."

thesillydave
05-26-2012, 05:40 PM
tentatively dibs-ing on fixing a hole....

mattydee
05-26-2012, 05:54 PM

Hey strumsilly, eugene ukulele beat you to this one -- you're welcome to work on it, but you might want to call dibs on another track.

mattydee
05-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Only five tracks left unclaimed!

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
She's Leaving Home
Within You Without You
Good Morning Good Morning
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)

She's Leaving Home was my favorite cut on the album when I first started listening to it many years ago... I hope someone picks it up.

benjoeuke
05-26-2012, 06:02 PM
I'll take 'Within You Without You'
oh no, what have I gotten myself into!?!?

Zaki
05-26-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm going to try She's Leaving Home. I have to admit that this is the first time that I've listened it, and I feel inmediatly in love with it :D

weerpool
05-26-2012, 06:30 PM
ill do sgt. peppers ( reprise) if its not too late

mattydee
05-26-2012, 06:32 PM
You're good!

RevWill
05-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I'll take Good Morning Good Morning.

mattydee
05-26-2012, 06:38 PM
All right, just the title track left!

Remember, just because a song has been called by someone else doesn't mean you can't still join this week's competition. I was just hoping to fill out the entire album before we had any repeats. Looks like we're pretty close to that now!

All it took was a little help from my friends!

rook
05-26-2012, 06:58 PM
I'll take 'Within You Without You'
oh no, what have I gotten myself into!?!?

ben, that takes ca hones my friend Cheers!

myrnaukelele
05-26-2012, 07:23 PM
ill do sgt. peppers ( reprise) if its not too late

weerpool- it's the reprise for me too- :-)
although i might not have time to record it - tomorrow is the only day i could possibly record and the reprise is the only song i could learn in one night...

weerpool
05-26-2012, 07:37 PM
yay! i wanted to collabo on she's leaving home (vocals) but the song was taken :9
weerpool- it's the reprise for me too- :-)
although i might not have time to record it - tomorrow is the only day i could possibly record and the reprise is the only song i could learn in one night...

Zaki
05-26-2012, 07:49 PM
yay! i wanted to collabo on she's leaving home (vocals) but the song was taken :9

:( sorry!! I'm trying to experiment with the song at the time :( tunning the uke half step up to make the song confortable for my voice, I don't know if its working :( it's the first time that I got enough courage to put dibs on a song (actually it's to pressure myself to finish something)

But, for what I understand you could sing that song too!!

Sorry for my english :(

weerpool
05-26-2012, 07:56 PM
can i please dibs?!! pweety pls./!! that would be awesome if you dont mind :0)
:( sorry!! I'm trying to experiment with the song at the time :( tunning the uke half step up to make the song confortable for my voice, I don't know if its working :( it's the first time that I got enough courage to put dibs on a song (actually it's to pressure myself to finish something)

But, for what I understand you could sing that song too!!

Sorry for my english :(

Zaki
05-26-2012, 08:01 PM
If you want to sing the same song it's fine with me :)

weerpool
05-26-2012, 08:18 PM
thank you Zaki!
If you want to sing the same song it's fine with me :)

ukuloonie
05-26-2012, 08:24 PM
I was thinking of doing "When I am Sixty four"
I know bold move but I like this song a lot.

barefootgypsy
05-27-2012, 03:35 AM
Gotta say - I don't do videos but this is one of my favourite albums of all time and I am SO looking forward to watching this! Thanks for choosing it for a theme! Have fun everybody! Wow! :D

mattydee
05-27-2012, 05:57 AM
thank you Zaki!

Does this mean that Myrna has the reprise covered, and you are off it?

strumsilly
05-27-2012, 06:12 AM
sorry, didn't see it was taken, Eugene beat me to it.

strumsilly
05-27-2012, 06:14 AM
sorry, didn't see it was taken, Eugene beat me to it.
so SPLHCB is the only one left. that's going to be hard w/o a band but I'll try.

weerpool
05-27-2012, 07:17 AM
yes sir, i should've asked you first for permission. im sorry

Zaki
05-27-2012, 07:41 AM

Is there any problem that two people play the same song? I understand that it don't ._.

mattydee
05-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Is there any problem that two people play the same song? I understand that it don't ._.

You're right, there can be as many versions of the same songs as people who want to play it -- I'm just looking to make sure every song gets covered once! Since you called She's Leaving Home first, you've got the official dibs, Zaki. But weerpool is more than welcome to play it.

And with strumsilly, I think we have all the songs covered!

Hurrah!

mattydee
05-27-2012, 08:22 AM
yes sir, i should've asked you first for permission. im sorry

No permission necessary, just trying to make sure every song is covered at least once!

Hippie Dribble
05-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Matty, I'm gonna sit out this week so 'When I'm 64' is not taken anymore...

strumsilly
05-27-2012, 04:15 PM
OK i GOT FIRST DIBS ON IT THEN?? BUT i WILL BE HAPPY TO AUCTION IT TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER.

myrnaukelele
05-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Anyone interested in a collab? I've got the reprise.

Key of F#?- Chords are here: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/beatles/sgt_peppers_lonely_hearts_club_band_reprise_crd.ht m
and here: http://www.yourchords.com/175734/Beatles/Sgt-Peppers-Lonely-Hearts-Club-Band-Reprise-Chords/

Video of all three vocal parts is here: http://youtu.be/m4YZdvSZ6gU

I'm recording tonight and have learned the lead part. I'll post my vid by tomorrow.
If you're interested in collaborating on the reprise let me know ASAP (no later than 3PM Alaska time tomorrow- which is 7PM East Coast time) and I can send you the footage. You, collaborator, would then record your part to match and split screen (?) the two parts. And post the new vid. Which I'm assuming will then negate the vid I post tomorrow.
If anyone out there is interested in collaborating the reprise is relatively easy to learn and lots of fun to sing. PM me if you decide to go for it.

ukuloonie
05-27-2012, 04:25 PM
oh bum
how come
I was looking forward to you playing old chum

Take care mate

ukuloonie
05-27-2012, 04:50 PM
OK i GOT FIRST DIBS ON IT THEN?? BUT i WILL BE HAPPY TO AUCTION IT TO THE HIGHEST BIDBVER.

Urrrrrm
I would like to do this one
I know where the Isle of wight is
And I've been there by Hovercraft
does that count?

ukuleledaveey
05-28-2012, 12:45 AM

:( NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!

Thats a shame Jon, you will be sorely missed.

Luana Gouvea
05-28-2012, 04:16 AM
Hey guys,

Me and me boyfriend and UU user fernandogardinali have recorded Getting Better, he's with the video, so a little later it will be online for you guys.

;)

mattydee
05-28-2012, 04:27 AM
Urrrrrm
I would like to do this one
I know where the Isle of wight is
And I've been there by Hovercraft
does that count?

You can both do it.

mattydee
05-28-2012, 04:32 AM
OK i GOT FIRST DIBS ON IT THEN?? BUT i WILL BE HAPPY TO AUCTION IT TO THE HIGHEST BIDBVER.

Which means the title track is still uncovered... Any takers?

ukuloonie
05-28-2012, 04:43 AM
Which means the title track is still uncovered... Any takers?

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Ill take when I'm 64

strumsilly
05-28-2012, 04:58 AM
Which means the title track is still uncovered... Any takers?\
OK, I'll take it, don't know if I'm up to it but I'll give it the old UU try since ukuloonie wants when I'm 64 so badly.

ukuloonie
05-28-2012, 05:03 AM
\
OK, I'll take it, don't know if I'm up to it but I'll give it the old UU try since ukuloonie wants when I'm 64 so badly.

We can both do it we each can do our different take it would be cool.
ach thez wurdz on de cumputer neber cum out how you really want them tooo

strumsilly
05-28-2012, 05:16 AM
We can both do it we each can do our different take it would be cool.
ach thez wurdz on de cumputer neber cum out how you really want them tooo
na, dat's ok, what woudls da lbum b w/o a tittle twack

don't know if I CAN MUSTER THIS MUCH energy by myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rofczyq12s

this may be a help if you don't own the album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKIKmU1Tc5g

wee_ginga_yin
05-28-2012, 05:37 AM
I have already done a couple of songs from SP. I don't know if I will
have time this week, but I will put some links to my efforts to get the show on the road... as I would like to participate in some sort of way, and not miss out on the 15th season.

When I'm 64 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrCr_V0GhZI)
Lucy in the sky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41cnD8oZxek)

mattydee
05-28-2012, 06:46 AM
\

Okey dokey...

myrnaukelele
05-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Starting off with the ending - Here's the reprise.

http://youtu.be/8sBwZpGirwI
And I'm off to the Midwest tonight so this is it for me this week. See you all in the next Season...

weerpool
05-28-2012, 10:09 AM
woohoooo!! nice myrna!!!

ukuloonie
05-28-2012, 11:19 AM

And I'm off to the Midwest tonight so this is it for me this week. See you all in the next Season...

That was groooovy.

strumsilly
05-28-2012, 01:34 PM
very sweet Myrna, love your outfit, song, and yard.happy travels

peewee
05-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Hi

Just back from camping, gotta try a song, and the only Beatles I really find compelling is the trippy stuff, so I would like to take a stab at Within You Without You. es possible?

mattydee
05-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Si, señor. Benjoeuke is the official dibs caller, but you can do any song you choose!

So excited to hear two versions of this tune!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Just started practicing 'A Day in the Life'. I'll admit that the bridge (semi-improvised by a forty-piece orchestra on the album) is a little tough. Ah, those Beatles (and George Martin) were clever blokes. Gracias, Matty, for a great idea.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Sweet one, Myrna. Groovy style out in the garden, too.

peewee
05-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Just started practicing 'A Day in the Life'. I'll admit that the bridge (semi-improvised by a forty-piece orchestra on the album) is a little tough. Ah, those Beatles (and George Martin) were clever blokes. Gracias, Matty, for a great idea.

Mouth Orchestra time!

ukuleledaddy
05-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Man, I wish I had the time to work something out for this contest. I'll be sitting out as well unfortunately. Great contest though Matt and I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

ukuleledaveey
05-28-2012, 11:37 PM

Well done myrnaukulele, beautiful setting,loved your dress,excellent version of the song, and you sang so well :) a great entry to kick it all off

fernandogardinali
05-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Here it is our submission (me and member Luana Gouvêa):
Getting Better

http://youtu.be/FLfRR0t84BI

ukuleledaveey
05-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Getting Better

Well done guys and great to see you back this week, hope your here to stay in seasons land now :) lovely duet, lovely strumming,lovely chemistry between the two of you, great job :)

J-Peg
05-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Getting Better

Great job you two! It's good to see you back for another week.

I'm especially glad you did this song because I originally volunteered to do it, but I've been having real trouble with it. It just refuses to come together for me somehow. And I just found out I've got family coming to visit for the weekend so I don't know if I'll have time to get anything done for the contest this week.

Now, thanks to you two, "Getting Better" has a great version for the contest.

Luana Gouvea
05-29-2012, 03:44 PM
ukuleledaveey and J-Peg,

Thank you guys! It's worth for the fun of recording it! Even though it may not be the fancier video, we had a great time playing!

;D

ukuloonie
05-29-2012, 04:19 PM
ukuleledaveey and J-Peg,

Thank you guys! It's worth for the fun of recording it! Even though it may not be the fancier video, we had a great time playing!

;D
That the geat joy of playing the Uke it's just fun
Cool playing too

fernandogardinali
05-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Thank you guys!

We do have a great chemistry in all things in life! Luana makes me very happy and I really really love her!

Luana Gouvea
05-30-2012, 02:43 AM
Thank you guys!

We do have a great chemistry in all things in life! Luana makes me very happy and I really really love her!

Couldn't agree more with my baby!
Love you honey! :o

peewee
05-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Here's my mostly instrumental attempt at Within You Without You, I had "fun" figuring out what tuning to use for this one. thanks!

http://youtu.be/AT37gwxaaJw

ukuloonie
05-30-2012, 12:34 PM
I think I am seriously trippy right now watching this wee vid
this was groovy too.
Thanks Peewee

ukuleledaveey
05-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Here's my mostly instrumental attempt at Within You Without You, I had "fun" figuring out what tuning to use for this one. thanks!

:drool::bowdown::shaka: WOW that was visually great but Aurally fantastic, Peewee that was so so good i loved it, your getting better and better as each week comes round. I loved this my friend it is seriously good.
I have a rough draft of my song on file, but trying to put a costume together for a re take
Anyway peewee that was absolutely fandabbiedozzie :)

chrimess
05-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Lucy in the sky with diamond- yeah, right,John, no pun intended.

http://youtu.be/XBLHTRwXKf0

weerpool
05-30-2012, 05:17 PM
:drool: go Christian!!

strumsilly
05-30-2012, 05:34 PM
:drool: go Christian!!
omg, THE KOOKALELE, what a performance, and in a bathtub no less, you kooked it.

ukuloonie
05-30-2012, 06:28 PM

The acoustics in the bathtub are always the best
you really nailed it

peewee
05-30-2012, 06:50 PM
This is coming together nicely, it will make an interesting playlist.
Myrna in her flowery dress in her flowery garden, finally with the nice weather, singing her heart out. That sounded great.
Fernando and Luana, you two are a great duet, with well worked out vocal parts, and tons of energy, and all that youth and love. Very sweet, great to have you aboard.
Christian, everyone knows that the bathroom is the place for LSD, especially the tub. That was not a half hearted version of that song, you brought a little of your Chris Cornell I think.
Four down, nine to go. Keep 'em coming kids.

And Ukeloony and Daveey, thanks for the comments on my bit as well.
best, peewee

thesillydave
05-30-2012, 07:33 PM

peewee, i'm trippin' on your wowness! keep it up!

thesillydave
05-30-2012, 07:35 PM

sweeet! pure flower child power!

thesillydave
05-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Getting Better

loved it! nice harmonies! cheers!

thesillydave
05-30-2012, 07:44 PM

i'm trippin'! but does it tell time? you are indeed a renaissance uker! liked the globe in the bathroom! nice touch! cheers!

ukuleledaddy
05-30-2012, 07:45 PM

Peewee, that was great! I was wondering how this song would turn out for this contest and you did a wonderful job. Loved it.

ukuleledaddy
05-30-2012, 07:50 PM

Christian, loved your energy as always. The bathtub, the unique ukulele and the now signature bare knee, it all works. What a funky uke, that's awesome! I hope we get to see more of it as the seasons progress!

benjoeuke
05-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Wowzers everyone, great renditions by all! Here's my rendition of Within You Without you as promised :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxdjZubFI28

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-30-2012, 09:45 PM
I set up some live echo to get in the mood...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge_b71Coc38&feature=youtu.be

Great challenge, Matt!

weerpool
05-30-2012, 09:49 PM
damn! that was some melt in your face riffage man!! youre good.

Wowzers everyone, great renditions by all! Here's my rendition of Within You Without you as promised :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-30-2012, 09:50 PM

Killer diller. Wonderful uke playing and groovy singing. Muchas gracias, mi amigo!

benjoeuke
05-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Oh. My. God. Ralf :)

weerpool
05-30-2012, 09:58 PM
mind..boggling performance.

Great challenge, Matt!

thesillydave
05-30-2012, 10:22 PM

Great challenge, Matt!

no fair! your playing waaay too many ukes! ha! nice recording! cheers!

barefootgypsy
05-31-2012, 12:22 AM
:drool::bowdown::shaka: WOW that was visually great but Aurally fantastic, Peewee that was so so good i loved it, your getting better and better as each week comes round. I loved this my friend it is seriously good.
I have a rough draft of my song on file, but trying to put a costume together for a re take
Anyway peewee that was absolutely fandabbiedozzie :)That was aways one of my favourite tracks - I love your interpretation of it, fantastic!

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 12:47 AM

Wow the standard again for this week is being raised, Great job Christian and the Subliminal Knee :) loved the cuckolele that was impressive that you built that yourself.Another amazing entry and another visual and aural treat. Wow that bath is masssive, made you look really tiny :) great song, great playing and powerful vocals, i thought you sounded very much like neil young that is a compliment hope no offence caused by the comparing. Great to see you taking part as ever as this after is your little baby that is rolling on week after week :)
Anyway great job loved it :)

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 12:55 AM

awesome Benjoeuke, amazing, your getting better and better each week :) glad to have you along hope you stay mate, as your playing and picking is up there with the best. That was fantastic just scraped my jaw up off the floor from your amazing playing. Loved your costume you certainly put alot of thought into it. great job mate and keep them coming :)

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 01:06 AM

Great challenge, Matt!

:bowdown::shaka:::worship::rock: WOW WOW WOW Ralf that was amazing,im still gobsmacked from watching that. Mate that was (Im lost for words) stunning, you have done such a great job on that tune, the live echo was great really added to it, damn there is some serioulsy good ukers on here, i think i am in the wrong place im gonna have to head over to the noobs challlange thread. ralf serioulsy that was amazing, every entry has been EXCELLENT but ralf that is smokin my man

wee_ginga_yin
05-31-2012, 01:48 AM

No doubt you are getting ready for some Beatles oldies.

She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh.
I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath.:old:

Raygf
05-31-2012, 01:59 AM
No doubt you are getting ready for some Beatles oldies.

She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh.
I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath.:old:

She came in through the bathroom window . . . .

peewee
05-31-2012, 04:01 AM

Holy Mixolydian Mastery! I am so happy I got my WYWY in before yours, as yours is amazing! Folks, this is not your average I IV V chord progression, what we have here is some clever playing! Very nice.

peewee
05-31-2012, 04:10 AM

Great challenge, Matt!
Gobsmacking Goodness. complete with double uke switcheroo and dissonant bits. wow

chrimess
05-31-2012, 04:11 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words- this week's submissions are outstanding- we are all well aware of our obligations to both matty and the fab four.

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 04:21 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words- this week's submissions are outstanding- we are all well aware of our obligations to both matty and the fab four.
:) im sure my entry will bring the quality down lol just uploading to youtube now :)

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 04:35 AM
here goes folks here is my entry, i must say you guys have set the bar so high again, some truly amazing entries well done all :)

http://youtu.be/kn8rQHKbUtU

ukuloonie
05-31-2012, 04:38 AM

Great challenge, Matt!
Amazing Rendition Ralf
I am at this present moment roasting hot dogs over a little bonfire in my backyard
my little ukulele collection burns very nicely
I'm thinking of taking up the nose flute as a new instrument
I hear nfas isnt as expensive.:worship:

ukuloonie
05-31-2012, 04:43 AM
here goes folks here is my entry, i must say you guys have set the bar so high again, some truly amazing entries well done all :)

Great playing Ukuleledaveey

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 04:51 AM
Great playing Ukuleledaveey
Many thanks Drew, this was intended as my study vid i did it on sunday, but just not getting a chance to do a better version this is pretty raw but hey thats rock n roll, also sorry for the jerking camera ???? not sure whats going on there, im no IT expert but must be to do with settings when i save video file, i need to look into that or get some assistance lol from a expert
:)

ukuloonie
05-31-2012, 05:06 AM
I thought that was part of it
it looked pretty trippy,;)

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 05:14 AM
I thought that was part of it
it looked pretty trippy,;)

ha ha ha no i got a kodak play touch last week so its either the settings of that or youtube, the clip is fine on my laptop, but when i upload to youtube it goes all max headroom :)

peewee
05-31-2012, 06:02 AM

Rock steady strumming, a song that suits you and a rooster singing backup. Great stuff Daveey.
I'd love to hear you turn the volume up a little more on the vocals, don't be shy you have a great voice!
Is that a lawn bowling club??

peewee
05-31-2012, 06:08 AM
Amazing Rendition Ralf
I am at this present moment roasting hot dogs over a little bonfire in my backyard
my little ukulele collection burns very nicely
I'm thinking of taking up the nose flute as a new instrument
I hear nfas isnt as expensive.:worship:
LOL
This is why I try to get mine in early, best way to be in the top three (temporarily) is to be in the first three!
And nfas can get crazy too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EPATPXGJgKo#t=80s

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 06:11 AM
Hi ya Peewee :) many thanks for your feedback and lovely comments, this was originally my practice video, for me to follow and see where im going wrong, but im running outta time, so thought i better upload something. The vocals may be quiet as it was a bit windy. And that is a small part of my friends garden, they have a lovely gazebo and i am allowed around there whenever i want even when they are out, its a lovely place of solitude where i can go and play uke.
That was their rooster crowing lol i even have a outtake where im about to start the song and the rooster starts i may put it up, as the look on my face says i wanna put it in the oven, it totally throws me lol.
I just have issues with my uploads at he moment as im no computer expert, the videos keep coming up jumping frames, they sound ok but the picture keeps jumpin.

benjoeuke
05-31-2012, 06:28 AM
Thanks Weerpool, PeeWee, and UkuleleDaveey, compliments from you mean a lot, PeeWee everything you play is amazing so, ya thanks, means a lot coming from you :)
UkuleleDaveey, You did an amazing job with what I always felt was sort of the whole album's only sort of lackluster tune, but holy cow! What a fine job from you (Better than Ringo?!?!?!?) Wow! Loved it, in fact you are, in my book, tied right now for 1st place with Ralf... Ralf who gets 1st, 2nd and 3rd places plus an automatic 5 point bonus lead in the next season comp!!!!! Am I right people? C'mon now, give him his props! :)
Well, I gotta take the kids to school now, i'll be checkin back later, can't wait to see what's next, awesome challenge MattyDee, thanks!
Oh ya, BTW UkuleleDaddy, if ur out there somewhere... My baby girl is flying around the schoolyard on her bike all by herself now! The first time I let go of the handle bars and watched her blasting off into the distance I swear I think I felt a tear start to form in my eye...

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 06:58 AM
Thanks Weerpool, PeeWee, and UkuleleDaveey, compliments from you mean a lot, PeeWee everything you play is amazing so, ya thanks, means a lot coming from you :)
UkuleleDaveey, You did an amazing job with what I always felt was sort of the whole album's only sort of lackluster tune, but holy cow! What a fine job from you (Better than Ringo?!?!?!?) Wow! Loved it, in fact you are, in my book, tied right now for 1st place with Ralph... Ralph who gets 1st, 2nd and 3rd places plus an automatic 5 point bonus lead in the next season comp!!!!! Am I right people? C'mon now, give him his props! :)
Well, I gotta take the kids to school now, i'll be checkin back later, can't wait to see what's next, awesome challenge MattyDee, thanks!
Oh ya, BTW UkuleleDaddy, if ur out there somewhere... My baby girl is flying around the schoolyard on her bike all by herself now! The first time I let go of the handle bars and watched her blasting off into the distance I swear I think I felt a tear start to form in my eye...
Many thanks Benjoeukulele :) its not to hard to sound better than ringo thats why i chose the song :) but thanks mate means a lot and remember you are a awesome uke player seriously good, but also agree with you ralfs performance wow can it be beaten ?????????

ukuleledaddy
05-31-2012, 07:19 AM

Great challenge, Matt!

Whoa. I've always enjoyed and have been inspired by your vids Ralf, but this takes the cake. That was amazing . Thanks. I'm having so much fun enjoying this contest!

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 07:31 AM
I was just on another thread and thought i would share this with you as it is beatles related ,infact it is tied in with sergeant Pepper38492

wee_ginga_yin
05-31-2012, 08:12 AM

Great challenge, Matt!

What a virtuoso performance. I wondered if you would take on the whole
orchestra, and how you would manage that long piano chord at the end,
but I need not have worried for those orchestral glissandos
were handled Paganini style, with sliding chords up the necks to two Ukes.

That showed enough inventiveness so I felt assured you would concoct
something to end the song with a sustained E major piano chord
ringing out for over forty seconds

In the original Lennon, McCartney, Starr, and Evans shared three different pianos
and hit the E chord together. It would have been an utter coup if you had managed
to play three different ukes for that last chord.:old:

Masterful and inventive

ukuleledaddy
05-31-2012, 10:51 AM

I enjoyed your performance, can't wait to hear the whole album put together! The rooster was a nice touch, would have gone great with Good Morning Good Morning!

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 11:49 AM
I enjoyed your performance, can't wait to hear the whole album put together! The rooster was a nice touch, would have gone great with Good Morning Good Morning!

Many many thanks ukedaddy :) still might have time to do a costumed version, but i cant find all the bits in the loft at the moment :) anyway thanks so much for your kind words, that damned rooster was my nemesis on sunday lol

rocko
05-31-2012, 12:14 PM

Great challenge, Matt!

Well played, sir. Well played!

Hippie Dribble
05-31-2012, 12:32 PM

Great challenge, Matt!
My gosh man, what is this then? The best performance we've yet seen in 15 weeks from anyone

:cheers:

philpot
05-31-2012, 12:46 PM
My gosh. Here, let me sum up my thoughts about this week and all the rest...

Just... wow. I won't embarrass myself by trying to compete with this stuff anymore ;)

strumsilly
05-31-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm traveling and all I have to work with is a cheap netbook, so I apologize for the poor sound quality and even poorer playing/video. would have liked to post a more polished performance for this week. This was a great idea, thanks Matt, hope this doesn't drag the whole week down too much, but it is what it is.

http://youtu.be/CYM1r0vLTpw

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm traveling and all I have to work with is a cheap netbook, so I apologize for the poor sound quality and even poorer playing/video. would have liked to post a more polished performance for this week. This was a great idea, thanks Matt, hope this doesn't drag the whole week down too much, but it is what it is.

http://youtu.be/CYM1r0vLTpw

Great job strumsilly, that was really good, i loved it and you can never go wrong with a bit of kazoo :) i really loved your version had a nice laid back jazz feel to it, and your vocals are nice and smooth to. great job mate

benjoeuke
05-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Strumsilly, that was awesome! the kazoo was so perfect, you nailed it man, good job!

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 01:23 PM

Just... wow. I won't embarrass myself by trying to compete with this stuff anymore ;)

Come on philpot we miss you on the seasons mate, come back and join in :)

rook
05-31-2012, 01:49 PM
I've been waiting for the Seasons of the Ukulele to be Beatles related and I have to say it's been a lot of fun watching the entries for this. Such a tough bunch to go up against but just participating has been a blast!

Here's my entry: 'Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!' :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrsVEBIxqSk

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 02:11 PM
I've been waiting for the Seasons of the Ukulele to be Beatles related and I have to say it's been a lot of fun watching the entries for this. Such a tough bunch to go up against but just participating has been a blast!

Here's my entry: 'Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!' :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrsVEBIxqSk

Hi ya rook and welcome aboard the seasons :) hope your going to stay now :) we love new entrants . great job lovely lovely strumming and nice singing to, you did a grand job on that song :)

thesillydave
05-31-2012, 08:33 PM
again, another stellar contest by all! i might not comment enough, but i really have enjoyed all the entries! here's my try!

http://youtu.be/iREB3vZ7UmU

and i'd like to have dibs on week 17 if it isn't taken yet!

wee_ginga_yin
05-31-2012, 11:15 PM
again, another stellar contest by all! i might not comment enough, but i really have enjoyed all the entries! here's my try!

moiré!!! moiré!!! moiré!!! Did you see what I just did there?

ukuleledaveey
05-31-2012, 11:23 PM

great job Thesillydave, loved the trippy video, great strumming as ever from you and love your vocals to, I love the tone of your vocals, wish i could sound like that. loved it have a great weekend and thanks for wanting week 17 :)

rook
06-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the great comments, ukuleledaveey. As I mentioned I was hoping there would be a Beatles Season and figured there being a few fans on UU it wouldn't be long. I'm not sure I can contribute to every season but I'll try to participate whenever possible. :music:

Hi ya rook and welcome aboard the seasons :) hope your going to stay now :) we love new entrants . great job lovely lovely strumming and nice singing to, you did a grand job on that song :)

ukuleledaddy
06-01-2012, 06:58 AM
K

Nice one SillyDave. There's a great Tom Waits feeling with your voice and it works really well. I've meant to tell you that I remember your videos from contests over a year ago and I think your playing has really come a long way. I've felt very stagnant in my playing for a long time now and you and many other competitors have inspired me to get better. I just need to figure out how and find the time. If I'd only picked up the Uke in my youth! Well thank goodness for these contests and all of you.

mattydee
06-01-2012, 11:40 AM
WOW!

Just got back into town and caught up on all of these. This has far exceeded my hopes and expectations for this contest, you guys. I am so so excited to see the rest of the 'album' take shape!

I'm not sure if it's the Beatles, or the idea of the contest, or just that everybody has been steadily improving week by week, but I feel like this week everybody's game has been raised in a huge way. I am so happy right now.

4 more tracks (i'm looking at you ukuloonie, nate, weerpool/zaki, and rev will) but I hope many more covers to come!

Seasonistas, you take me through a hogshead of real fire!

Hippie Dribble
06-01-2012, 11:58 AM

gonna need a better excuse than that brother, cause you're great...this comp is the virtual Hotel California anyway, didn'tcha know...you can come in but you can never leave...mwa...mwahaha....mwahahahahahaaaaaaa :p

J-Peg
06-01-2012, 12:07 PM
gonna need a better excuse than that brother, cause you're great...this comp is the virtual Hotel California anyway, didn'tcha know...you can come in but you can never leave...mwa...mwahaha....mwahahahahahaaaaaaa :p

hmmm.... Hotel California, huh? Is it just me or could that be another album themed contest?

ukuleledaveey
06-01-2012, 12:28 PM
hmmm.... Hotel California, huh? Is it just me or could that be another album themed contest?
Well as far as i know, next week is unclaimed, but week 17 is already claimed :)

J-Peg
06-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Well as far as i know, next week is unclaimed, but week 17 is already claimed :)

I do plan on hosting one of these eventually, when I have time and a prize or two. (I have neither at the moment.)
But I have a different theme in mind.

rook
06-01-2012, 06:39 PM
I do plan on hosting one of these eventually, when I have time and a prize or two. (I have neither at the moment.)
But I have a different theme in mind.

Same post here ;)

ukuleledaveey
06-01-2012, 08:22 PM
No worries J-peg :) and look forward to your week.
Have a good weekend :)

mattydee
06-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Ukuloonie, RevWill, Weerpool, Zaki, and nscafe: Are any of you in danger of not getting your entries in by tomorrow midnight? It's totally cool if you are—life gets in the way, I completely understand—but it would make me so sad to not have at least one cover of every track in the playlist... If we haven't heard from you by tonight, I'm going to invoke the bonus clause (see original post), which means you intrepid seasonistas with time on your hands might want to warm up for some lightning covers!

And anyone who wants to enter is still welcome to cover any song they want from the album. There's plenty of time, folks!

Just fixing a hole, is all.

weerpool
06-02-2012, 10:30 AM
mine's ready to upload
!
Ukuloonie, RevWill, Weerpool, Zaki, and nscafe: Are any of you in danger of not getting your entries in by tomorrow midnight? It's totally cool if you are—life gets in the way, I completely understand—but it would make me so sad to not have at least one cover of every track in the playlist... If we haven't heard from you by tonight, I'm going to invoke the bonus clause (see original post), which means you intrepid seasonistas with time on your hands might want to warm up for some lightning covers!

And anyone who wants to enter is still welcome to cover any song they want from the album. There's plenty of time, folks!

ukuloonie
06-02-2012, 10:47 AM
mine is being done today just doing a bunch of stuff first

weerpool
06-02-2012, 01:26 PM
i hope this isn'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQKiUGSh6TAt too bad.

ukuleledaveey
06-02-2012, 02:04 PM
i hope this isn'
Great job weerpool, really liked that,lovely playing,nice melody and your vocals were nice to, great job, you certainly managed to hit those high notes, well done mate :)

benjoeuke
06-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Weerpool, dude that was AWESOME! well done bro :)

weerpool
06-02-2012, 03:23 PM
thanks ukedavey and bajoeuke
Great job weerpool, really liked that,lovely playing,nice melody and your vocals were nice to, great job, you certainly managed to hit those high notes, well done mate :)

mattydee
06-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Alright, gang. I'm invoking the bonus clause: any contestant who has already entered will be eligible for bonus points if they also enter one of the heretofore missing tracks:

When I'm 64
Good Morning, Good Morning
Lovely Rita

The contestants whove already laid claim to those tracks may still enter them, of course, and will not be penalized for doing so at this late hour. So too may any prospective contestant still enter any cover of their choosing by midnight tomorrow.

thesillydave
06-02-2012, 08:40 PM
i hope this isn'

wow. just, wow. picking, strumming, high notes....okay...wow.
very well done!

thesillydave
06-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Whoa. I've always enjoyed and have been inspired by your vids Ralf, but this takes the cake. That was amazing . Thanks. I'm having so much fun enjoying this contest!

it is a pleasure to be in the same competition with you. this was truly a mind blowing take! great playing, picking, changing ukes...and trippy playing at the end...ralf...you ARE the 5th beatle!

ukuloonie
06-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Alright, gang. I'm invoking the bonus clause: any contestant who has already entered will be eligible for bonus points if they also enter one of the heretofore missing tracks:

When I'm 64
Good Morning, Good Morning
Lovely Rita

The contestants whove already laid claim to those tracks may still enter them, of course, and will not be penalized for doing so at this late hour. So too may any prospective contestant still enter any cover of their choosing by midnight tomorrow.

Just uploading mine

ukuloonie
06-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Here is mine
I wanted to have my oldest daughter flip these pages as I was sing but it got too loud with swishing paper
urg
oh well
here it is.

http://youtu.be/D0G4kctu2NU

ukuleledaveey
06-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Here is mine
I wanted to have my oldest daughter flip these pages as I was sing but it got too loud with swishing paper
urg
oh well
here it is.

Great job Drew :) loved the drawings they were brilliant, great playing of the uke and really really good vocals,this song really suited your voice. I did do a emergency version for the bonus round, just so we had the song done, but it is better off in the vaults forgotten :) i rushed it and it is a headless video. I think your version should stand as the entry, as i loved your version. Mine was just in case no one done it. Anyway great job Drew and see you over in week 16 :)

Zaki
06-03-2012, 03:45 AM

I'm sorry :( couldn't find the time (and equipment) to record it :( but I really fell in love with that song, so I think I'll record it someday :) if you guys wanna listen to me :)

wee_ginga_yin
06-03-2012, 04:05 AM
Here is mine
urg
oh well
here it is.

That Dave in the cartoon definitely had your eyes Ukuloonie:old:
or at least the eyes of your avatar. You deserve extra points
for every cartoon that was drawn, so in my book that makes you
the winner by a mile. That showed lots of creativity.

ukuloonie
06-03-2012, 05:09 AM
Thanks Wee ginga yin
I had doing fun thinking about and creating the drawings.
and my wife liked me singing to her this song too.

ukuloonie
06-03-2012, 05:11 AM
i hope this isn'
That was great singing and playing
the judges have a tough time this week

strumsilly
06-03-2012, 05:46 AM
I"ll do lovely rita if there are no other takers while my wife is at her conference today. i'd hate to see a hole in this project.

ukuleledaddy
06-03-2012, 06:04 AM
If nobody tackles Good Morning Good Morning by this evening, I'll do my best to find a few moments to give it a shot.

mattydee
06-03-2012, 06:08 AM
I"ll do lovely rita if there are no other takers while my wife is at her conference today. i'd hate to see a hole in this project.

If nobody tackles Good Morning Good Morning by this evening, I'll do my best to find a few moments to give it a shot.

Thanks, guys!

Penguinofsorts
06-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Hello...this is my first attempt at entering this competition...the weeks just fly by too quickly! I couldn't resist this season, though, so I recorded this little number this weekend while at the Ukulele World Congress. (Myrna was on the sidelines cheering me on). I hope that I'm doing this correctly...

Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite!

http://youtu.be/-55ITXCtYc4

- Michelle

ukuloonie
06-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Hello...this is my first attempt at entering this competition...the weeks just fly by too quickly! I couldn't resist this season, though, so I recorded this little number this weekend while at the Ukulele World Congress. (Myrna was on the sidelines cheering me on). I hope that I'm doing this correctly...

- MichelleAwesome you have a great voice,
I look forward to seeing you play in the future weeks
That was great

benjoeuke
06-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Bonus Track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqrfChI3hV0

Penguinofsorts
06-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Wow... I just had a chance to watch all of the videos.... You guys are all great!!!

benjoeuke
06-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Wow... I just had a chance to watch all of the videos.... You guys are all great!!!
You sound great Michelle, great job with a very challenging song, that's a real tongue twister :)

ukuleledaddy
06-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Bonus Track!

Zoinks! I just finished recording Good Morning. Great job benjoeuke! Nice little solo there (someday I'll learn how to do that).

ukuleledaveey
06-03-2012, 03:07 PM

- Michelle
Welcome Michelle, and great job on that song, lovely playing and a really nice vocal :) good to have some female input, hope you stick around for future weeks as you know all are welcome here, anyway really enjoyed your performance great job :)

ukuleledaveey
06-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Bonus Track!

Great job benjoeuke :) your playing really is up there with the best you know :) thanks for doing a bonus song see you over in week 16 :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Wow! I've been away from the computer for the past few days. So much great work here. All but one song done---with a couple versions of a few. Great work, everyone! Now, let's get about seven or eight versions of Lovely Rita up to finish this challenge strong. (Maybe a version from the host? Eh, Matt?)

benjoeuke
06-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Zoinks! I just finished recording Good Morning. Great job benjoeuke! Nice little solo there (someday I'll learn how to do that).
Thanks and, umm sorry bout that... I think u should post urs anyway, I believe we will both get the bonus points if I understand the rules... not just the first one up... ahh, now for Lovely Rita ;)

Hippie Dribble
06-03-2012, 03:58 PM
wow, amazing entries this week gang!!!! I sure don't envy the judges. Such a cool idea to cover an album Matty, awesome.

And WELCOME Michelle!!!! Great to see you join in the fun mate, we're all having a ball with this...ok, maybe not as much fun as UWC, but still....enjoy the rest of the party out there and make sure you come back fresh for another run at next week's season. Blessings mate :)

Penguinofsorts
06-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Sooo...I'm new and all, but I still have free time this evening and I decided to go for Lovely Rita. I didn't do the fancy bits and I just learned it, and had a decent video by my 4th take, so that's what you get! The fireflies in the background are the special effects!

My voice is scratchy because I spent the past 3 days singing around a campfire and in the cold :-) Looking forward to seeing if anyone manages to do the thing with all of the twiddly parts.

http://youtu.be/f1jMCEEDSII

- Michelle

benjoeuke
06-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Great job Michelle, that wraps it up! All the songs are done to complete the album... of course anyone can still do any song they want from Sgt Pepper until midnight tonight... I'm hoping to see a few more entries, it's been a lot of fun listening to all these great Beatles songs this week!

ukuleledaddy
06-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Yay, all the songs have been covered! This is awesome. Here's my vid for Good Morning, which I recorded only minutes before I realized that benjoeuke had done the same song. Again, I wasn't planning on entering this week but I really wanted the entire album covered. I did my best to impersonate the cacophony of animal sounds at the end. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA7mNNHNF20&list=UUwOfmPtmH0q5v_XIFVIWYsA&index=1&feature=plcp

benjoeuke
06-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Yay, all the songs have been covered! This is awesome. Here's my vid for Good Morning, which I recorded only minutes before I realized that benjoeuke had done the same song. Again, I wasn't planning on entering this week but I really wanted the entire album covered. I did my best to impersonate the cacophony of animal sounds at the end. Enjoy.
That was great, I loved the animal sounds, mouth trumpet solo and tambourine, awesome!

strumsilly
06-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Sooo...I'm new and all, but I still have free time this evening and I decided to go for Lovely Rita. I didn't do the fancy bits and I just learned it, and had a decent video by my 4th take, so that's what you get! The fireflies in the background are the special effects!

My voice is scratchy because I spent the past 3 days singing around a campfire and in the cold :-) Looking forward to seeing if anyone manages to do the thing with all of the twiddly parts.

- Michelle
loveley , thanks for filling the hole, now I can go swimming at the hotel pool, it's 100 here in Phoenix.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Michelle got it done while I was working on it, too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoJazMmtlek&feature=youtu.be

Great challenge this week, Matt! Great work, everybody!!!

strumsilly
06-03-2012, 05:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA7mNNHNF20&list=UUwOfmPtmH0q5v_XIFVIWYsA&index=1&feature=plcp
way to step up to the plate , good job with a challenging song, wow, animal impressions, percussion, and mouth trumpet, what talent!

Penguinofsorts
06-03-2012, 05:27 PM
I like your style, Ralf!!!

nscafe
06-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Well sorry to let everybody down and leave this thing up in the air a bit. :(

I was going to record Lovely Rita at some point today but this turned out to be a bad week for me to volunteer for this. I won't bore you with my lame excuses. I haven't even had a chance to watch any of the videos yet, but I'll get to them. I'm sure they're great, and thanks to Michelle and Ralf for taking on Lovely Rita.

Again, sorry...

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-03-2012, 06:34 PM
I like your style, Ralf!!!

Gracias. Back yard. No twiddly bits. I like your style, too, Seasonista Michelle!!

ukuloonie
06-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Always love your playing Ralf

ukuleledaddy
06-03-2012, 09:06 PM

Ralf, you make this song sound like it was made for the ukulele.

ukuleledaveey
06-04-2012, 12:03 AM

- Michelle

Wow awesome job Michelle, as we say over here you jumped in with both feet :) fantastic, your voice is wonderful, you have done a great version of this song, your uke playing is nice and steady, but your voice really makes this performance loved it. And hope you stick around for future seasons :) oh meant to say the fireflies were cool as well, all the best from me

ukuleledaveey
06-04-2012, 12:08 AM

Great job and a lovely bit of multi tasking :) really enjoyed it and great to see you enter :) great rooster,and mouth trumpet, lovely strumming, well done mate :)

ukuleledaveey
06-04-2012, 12:15 AM

Great Job Ralf, have to agree with ukedaddy, you have made this a uke song, loved your strumming on this song and the uke sounds fab, and your singing is great as ever, you have always been one of the top tier players but you have really upped your game lately, as if you had a "spinal tap" dial, you have turned it up to 11.
Great job mate and always a pleasure and delight for us to watch and listen, i was studying your strumming technique intensely, all the best from me :)

mattydee
06-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Good Morning, Good Morning, seasonistas! This is the official close of the contest.

That is some good mojo, gang! A flurry of last minute entries to fill out the album. I really do get by with a little help from my friends.

Here's the playlist (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF338F35CA4C8FCA0), in order of the the album.

For you bonus seasonistas, (Ralf, benjoeuke, Michelle), I'll assume that you want your first entry counted as your full entry, and your second entry as the extra credit. If you'd rather flip it around, I'm happy to do that, just let me know ASAP.

As has been mentioned in this thread a few times, the bar has really been raised here. It may take me a little more time to get through all of them and get good feedback going (I promise for this season, I will give feedback. My tenth season slipped away...) But I will do my best to have that done by week's end, along with announcement of winners, etc.

Thanks so much, all, for banding together so quickly to make this crazy project happen. Now I know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall

strumsilly
06-06-2012, 08:36 AM

somehow i missed this ,that was awesome, i'm awed.

mattydee
06-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Alright, folks, The guest judge just sent me the feedback video, and the scores are in!

http://youtu.be/OSOJvs0Vllg

1st: TheOnlyUkeThatMatters: A Day In The Life
2nd: TheSillyDave: Fixing A Hole
3rd: Benjoeuke: Within You Without You

Ralf, let me know which prize you'd like, and it will go out post haste. Once that comes in, I'll PM sillydave for his choice, and benjoeuke, when you send me your address, you will get your third prize.

Well done, all. I said it before, and I'll say it again, you all really raised the bar with this challenge. I'm looking forward to ukuloonie's 16th season! See you there.

ukuleledaveey
06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Alright, folks, The guest judge just sent me the feedback video, and the scores are in!

Ralf, let me know which prize you'd like, and it will go out post haste. Once that comes in, I'll PM sillydave for his choice, and benjoeuke, when you send me your address, you will get your third prize.

Well done, all. I said it before, and I'll say it again, you all really raised the bar with this challenge. I'm looking forward to ukuloonie's 16th season! See you there.

Well done ralf a very deserving winner, you blew us all away with that phenomenal entry and not forgeting Sillydave and benjoeuke you guys done well to as did everyone.
Wow Matty what a absolute fantasic critique video, that was fantastic, thanks for the lovely feedback, greatly appreciated and i doth my hat and my moustache to a fantastic english accent, very very well done :) see you over in week 16

J-Peg
06-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Awesome entries there everyone!
I wish I would've had time to join in.

rook
06-06-2012, 04:38 PM

Hats off to everybody, I watched the whole album end to end last night, all very cool performances. What an incredible critique vid too. I have to say my first 'season' won't be my last. I agree one hundred percent with the placings but for me second was a tie with 'She's Leaving Home' by Weerpool. Too much fun folks congrats to the winners! :cool:

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Muchas gracias, mattydee! And mucho mucho gracias to all this week's Seasonistas. Every entry managed to capture and communicate another ukulele-sized bit of the beauty of the Beatles' masterpiece. Not at all easy to do, and done so well by one and all. Viva las Seasonistas!!

Cock a doodle doooo!!!!!!!!!!

ukuleledaddy
06-06-2012, 06:18 PM

Matty, I feel we should all give you a prize for best critique vid. That was so fun to watch. Congrats to the winners and to everyone! This was such a cool idea. I love The Beatles but I have to admit that I felt very underprepared to take part, the Sgt Peppers album is so rich and complex. Thanks for the feedback Matty, I'm glad I was able to join in as well. I am looking forward to the next few seasons, even if I only have the time to watch!

ukuloonie
06-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Thank you what an absolutely Marvellous and stupendous show old boy
the critique and moustache were stunning
the set too.
I am flabbergasted and truly amazed
Wonderful job old boy
Jolly good show.

Congratulations to all the winners
cause they were pretty amazing entries
and the other contributors too, it was fun watching them all

benjoeuke
06-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Thank you so much! I am beside myself... I'm not worthy, that had to be a very tough decision, such great vids by all... I'm sure my bonus track must have given me the edge I needed... again, thank you! Thanks, too, for noticing the costume... not sure how many of you out there have an original vinyl copy of Sgt. Pepper (I have three, 2 mono/1 stereo) but one of mine has a big cardboard "cut-out" card with pictures, badges, mustache, etc. to cut out and wear, as well as the group stand-up seen in front of me in the vid... no, I did not cut mine up, it's still intact, I just photocopied it and cut em out for the vid :)

mattydee
06-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Thank you so much! I am beside myself... I'm not worthy, that had to be a very tough decision, such great vids by all... I'm sure my bonus track must have given me the edge I needed... again, thank you! Thanks, too, for noticing the costume... not sure how many of you out there have an original vinyl copy of Sgt. Pepper (I have three, 2 mono/1 stereo) but one of mine has a big cardboard "cut-out" card with pictures, badges, mustache, etc. to cut out and wear, as well as the group stand-up seen in front of me in the vid... no, I did not cut mine up, it's still intact, I just photocopied it and cut em out for the vid :)

I absolutely remember that from my parents' copy, and I, as a youth, did cut them out. My parents either didn't notice, or didn't care, but now, as a reformed comic book collector, I know I made a grave error. Or not. I had a lot of fun with those cutouts!

And congrats, indeed, benjoeuke... The judging was tough, for sure, but your outfit and the bonus put you over the edge, and I feel great about that ranking. I think everyone did a great job of really getting into the spirit of the album for this challenge, and I, for one, had a marvelous time watching all the videos.

peewee
06-06-2012, 06:56 PM

I say, Smashing Review! Top Notch Contest! Pip Pip Rah Rah and all that, wot?
A glass of sherry for the winners, braaaavo!

myrnaukelele
06-06-2012, 08:29 PM
This really was a fun week! Ralf your entry was absolutely amazing! Congrats on the well-deserved win. And congrats to TheSillyDave and Benjoeuke as well. Thanks mattydee for coming up with such a great idea and hosting the 15th Season.

thesillydave
06-06-2012, 09:45 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! 2nd place!!!! thanks! ralf, yours really was the stand out performance! benjoeuke, i'd call for recount! loved yours!
i want to thank the academy, and my family and....eugene, who continues to make me try to play better and try different material..
and to mattydee who was too obsessed with his mustache to realize that i really was just a passing fancy...but, woohoo! i got second place! i am still in shock!
thank you...now on to 16...and 17....and beyond! i love you guys!! and gals! ( i'm putting the rum down now..) (asif)

pps.: the best ever, or... most entertaining video critique...i'll have to hire people for 17th week! the master thespian wins.

Penguinofsorts
06-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Wonderful review video!!! And great job everybody! I look forward to spending more seasons with you... Although 16 may not end up happening...

barefootgypsy
06-07-2012, 12:47 AM

Great challenge, Matt!Absolutely.......amazing! I never would have thought this track could have worked, but this is just brilliant! I see you won - and deservedly so, IMHO! Thanks for it, great start to the day for me! :D

chrimess
06-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Well done, boys.

wee_ginga_yin
06-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Review... Review... ye ca' tha' a review... where wis ra pannel o' judges,
where wis yur imparshality... yur considered opinion... yur golden nuggets o' insight...
where wis Simon Cowell wa' his pants up tae his oksters... and that Paula
whitever hur name wis... she wis missin', an' when folks gang missin', ye ken
whit ye get... ah'll tell ye whit e get... a wee fella frae ra home office wae a 'tasche
rat keeps fa'ing aff, an sum soft focus camera work... rat goes a guid auld way tae
concealin' his identity. W'ur nae toad-stools tae be kept in the dark... ur we?

Rat soft-focus... Disnae rat set ra alarm bells ringin'... dinnae be foolt
wae rat big bow tie, an rat jayket wae the wee breest pocket, or rat Sherlock
Holmes pipe whit wis blawin' smoke a' ower the place... It wis a smokescreen
ah tell yis... a distractshun... a setup by them flim-flam experts frae Westminster,
where it's a' oom-pa-pa an' boom-titty-boom... their shenanigans cun be summed
up wae yin word - organised crime... Ah'm tellin' youse if ah ever lay ma hands on
rat "M" frae ra home office ah'll see to it, rat he gets nickt, lockt up, and ra door
throw away! He's nae mair than a fat cat, spinnin' his web, wae his tentacles in every pie.
Ye won't find me beatin' around ra proverbial privet, when it comes tae the judgin'.
Frankly ah'm too busy a man tae be cluck-clucking aroon like a decapitated feathered fowl,
Ah'll ca' a spade a shovel... an' suggest in ra future ra judgin' shud be done by sum imparshul judge frae Scotland.

Your insincerely

Rab C. Nesbit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4yeqSgNxiE)

Dougf
06-07-2012, 04:41 AM
Great contest, Mattydee, congrats winners, and Ralf, your video was truly a tour de force.

strumsilly
06-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Great contest, Mattydee, congrats winners, and Ralf, your video was truly a tour de force.
my sentiments exactly, top notch review, Ralf is my new hero.

psst
10-29-2015, 12:59 AM
Ooooh!
Great thread, I just found it!

My "Within You Without You" ukulele cover, with nature animals giving the Indian feel. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaFqJKmAWHM