Fifteenth Season of the Ukulele

mattydee

Reaction score
Being for the benefit of Ukulele Underground,

The Fifteenth Season of the Ukulele: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

sgtpepperseasons.jpg

June 1, 2012 will be the 45th Anniversary of this landmark album by the Beatles. This season, we will cover it.

THE CHALLENGE:

Cover a song from the Beatles' 1967 album, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

PARAMETERS:

* one take, no overdubs, unless it is a virtual collaboration (i.e.: split screen using the powers of the technology to join two seasonistas across the globe, see below...)
* ukulele front and centre
* state in your clip that the recording is for the "15th Season of the Ukulele: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band"
* I would love it if we got every song from the album in the competition, which means, for the first time, I am going to actively encourage calling dibs on songs, which should, I hope, allow for more variety. We generally have more seasonistas than the number of songs on the album, so duplicates will certainly be allowed, but let's get into the spirit here! How cool would it be to have a seasons of the uke version of this album! Also, this is a perfect season for collaboration -- get those tight harmonies going. Or get creative -- maybe 4 seasonistas get together virtually to do A Day in The Life, each taking a section of the tune.

To be clear, just because someone else has called dibs on a song doesn't mean you can't do it. I am simply looking for at least one layer of coverage for the whole album. But I do not want to discourage contestants from entering simply because their song choice has previously been spoken for. The album only has 13 tracks, and I hope to have many more entries! The contest is open to all comers.

TRACK LIST:
(EDIT: This is the final track list, including cover artists)

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band strumsilly
With A Little Help From My Friends: ukuleledavey
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds: chrimess
Getting Better: J-peg
Fixing A Hole: thesillydave
She's Leaving Home: weerpool
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!: Rook/Penguinofsorts
Within You Without You: benjoeuke/peewee
When I'm Sixty-four: ukuloonie
Lovely Rita: onlyukethatmaters/penguinofsorts
Good Morning Good Morning: ukuleledaddy/benjoeuke
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise): myrnaukulele
A Day In The Life: TheOnlyUkeThatMatters

and the final playlist! [video]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF338F35CA4C8FCA0[/video]

JUDGING CRITERIA:

* Once again, it's just me, judging, though my wife will be helpful in sorting out possible ties.

points awarded in the following criteria:

* Playing /15
* Singing /15
* Overall performance: your ability to sell the song (camera presence; personality; creative flair; x-factor etc...) /10
* Set and Costume /10

for a total score out of a possible 50 points.

* Bonus clause / If, by the end of the week, all the songs from the album have not been covered (or spoken for), bonus points may be awarded for contestants who enter more than one video—provided the extra video is not a duplicate of someone else's called or already recorded entry. At this point, the contestant may choose which of their videos will be the full entry, and which will be bonus. The full entry will be scored as normal, and the bonus entry will be treated as extra credit, worth up to 3 points based on how I fancy it.

This bonus clause will only take effect if by Friday June 1, 11:59PM Central Time, every track has not been spoken for at least once.

(Because of the nature of the contest, please release your song if it looks like you won't make it in time. This way someone else can grab it. If it turns out you've got the time after all, hurrah! You can still record the same cut, but then we won't be scrambling at the end.)

PRIZES:

* The Beatles Companion by Ted Greenwald coffee table book
* The more in-depth bio SHOUT! by Phillip Norman
(Both of these books have been gently used and part of my library for some time.)
* There will also be a brand new set of Martin soprano/concert strings.

First place winner will get first choice of prize, etc...

PARTING SHOTS:

* closing date is Sunday week June 3 @ 11.59pm Hawaiian Time.
* I will be out of town on vacation during some of the week, and away from the internet, so I likely won't be able to respond to queries or update the track list between Tuesday afternoon and Friday afternnon. So play nice in my absence. The weekend the contest closes and the beginning of the week following are busy, too, so our trademark seasonista patience my be required...

Okay, gang: Picture yourself in a boat, on a river, annnnnnnnd...

GO!

Attachments

• sgtpepperseasons.jpg
    sgtpepperseasons.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thanks Mattydee for doing week 15
I'm collecting some prizes and I have a couple of ideas brewing.
for some of the weeks.

wow yourr a legend matty like eugene two goes at running this :) ...... as it's the eurovision song contest saturday night could that be the theme ??????????????

Anyway thanks so much for runnng this again, :worship:

wow yourr a legend matty like eugene two goes at running this :) ...... as it's the eurovision song contest saturday night could that be the theme ??????????????

Anyway thanks so much for runnng this again, :worship:

Good idea Davey, eh we could have a bit of Johnny Logan!! haha!!! The only time us Irish have ever won anything I think!! lol

Find your coat and grab your hat, kids. Details added above.

Dibs encouraged? Okey-doke. I'll do "A Day in the Life". (I need to let both my inner Macca and my inner John out).

Boom! Tracklist:

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band strumsilly
With A Little Help From My Friends: ukuleledavey
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds: chrimess
Getting Better: J-peg
Fixing A Hole: thesillydave
She's Leaving Home: Zaki and/or weerpool
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!: Rook
Within You Without You: benjoeuke
When I'm Sixty-four: ukuloonie
Lovely Rita: nscafe
Good Morning Good Morning: RevWill
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise): myrnaukulele
A Day In The Life: TheOnlyUkeThatMatters

Last edited:
Find your coat and grab your hat, kids. Details added above.

coat. check. hat. check. clue about anything to do with the Beatles. um, got some work to do. :eek:

Thanks Matty, a BIG and AWESOME challenge this week. Looking forward to it mate.

I'll try 'When I'm 64' as it's 1 of 3 in the list I recognise the name of he he...

dibs on when I'm 64, I hope to make it, It's getting closer all the time, haha

Last edited:
Cool contest MattyDee! I probably won't be intering (or even entering) because I'll be at UWC (nyah, nyah) but it looks like a lot of fun!

You've also stimulated a couple of my remaining brain cells with this idea and I might be sponsoring another week sometime after UWC.

John

Heh, heh. This would have been my choice too if I'd been able to enter (UWC week - woohoo!)...mostly because I honestly don't expect to make it! (my cardiologist recently told me he was surpised I made fifty given the condition of my heart)

(But, hey, that's okay, I'm cool with it and have no complaints in that regard - I believe where I'm going to be on my 64th birthday is a heck of a lot cooler place than even Needmore Indiana!)

John

Hey strumsilly, eugene ukulele beat you to this one -- you're welcome to work on it, but you might want to call dibs on another track.

Top Bottom