3 K's KoAloha, Kamaka, Kanile'a

guitharsis

Reaction score
Finally added a Kanile'a concert. Having both KoAloha and Kamaka
decided to see what Kanile'a was all about. Two weeks ago purchased a Kanile'a K1 Concert Premium. It's still on Bernunzio's website: www.bernunzio.com and is everything it says in the write-up. :)

I had a Kimbara acoustic in the late 70's, does that count ?

Gratz on the Ukes by the way, sounds to me as though you have way too much money.

Ah, but you're really missing one more and other than Kamaka, they've been building since the 80's. Ko'olau . . . jus sayin'.

Congratulations on your new Kanile'a. I am wondering, if you only could keep one of them,or one specific brand, which one would it be and why?

I had a Kimbara acoustic in the late 70's, does that count ?

Gratz on the Ukes by the way, sounds to me as though you have way too much money.

Kimbara acoustic. Nice.:) Thanks for the gratz. The sale of a fine classical guitar went a long way to fund my UAS.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new Kanile'a. I am wondering, if you only could keep one of them,or one specific brand, which one would it be and why?

Wow. They're all so nice it would be a difficult choice and on any given day would be a different choice. Today it would be the Kanile'a.:) It has both the looks and sound. . . But Kamakas are so rich and complex and also beautiful to look at, and KoAlohas so beautiful, bright and LOUD . . . After 3 years of trying, buying, and selling, really love all of the ukes I have now.

Very diplomatic answer, Doreen. You know you're making me have to try a Kanile'a. Enjoy the K's.

That's awesome! I hope to own all three one day. I'm a third of the way there.

Congratulations Doreen. That is a beautiful Kanile'a. The wood set is great looking, and very curly.
Kanile'a ukes really do have a very unique, smooth sound.
Well, all the K's have a unique sound, but I am drawn to the Kanile'a sound and feel more than the other K's.
I'd love to hear what your new Kanile'a sounds like.

Congratulations, Doreen! The new addition is a beauty and I'm glad you're enjoying it. My cousin in Rochester says I definitely have to visit Bernunzio (he wants me to visit for the jazz festival in June, but I won't be able to do that this year). What I really want to do is tour the Kanile'a factory next time I'm on O'ahu, and I have a feeling I might just succumb to Kanile'a Acquisition Syndrome while I'm there.

Congratulations Doreen. That is a beautiful Kanile'a. The wood set is great looking, and very curly.
Kanile'a ukes really do have a very unique, smooth sound.
Well, all the K's have a unique sound, but I am drawn to the Kanile'a sound and feel more than the other K's.
I'd love to hear what your new Kanile'a sounds like.

Thank you Doc J. Yes, the koa woods used on the Kanile'a are great looking as is the UV finish. Unique, smooth sound - I agree. Good descriptors.
Maybe I can ask Michelle at Bernunzio's to record mine and the tenor Kanile'a and put them up on the website.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Doreen! The new addition is a beauty and I'm glad you're enjoying it. My cousin in Rochester says I definitely have to visit Bernunzio (he wants me to visit for the jazz festival in June, but I won't be able to do that this year). What I really want to do is tour the Kanile'a factory next time I'm on O'ahu, and I have a feeling I might just succumb to Kanile'a Acquisition Syndrome while I'm there.

Thank you, mds 725. The Jazz Festival in Rochester is a great time to come visit. Bernunzio's location is in a pefect spot to do both, go to the Jazz Festival and visit the store. Visiting the Kanile'a factory would definitely push KAS along. Hope you're able to let us experience your tour with you as you did with your Kamaka tour.

Congrats on your new uke! Are your other ones all concert size too?

Wow. They're all so nice it would be a difficult choice and on any given day would be a different choice. Today it would be the Kanile'a.:) It has both the looks and sound. . . But Kamakas are so rich and complex and also beautiful to look at, and KoAlohas so beautiful, bright and LOUD . . . After 3 years of trying, buying, and selling, really love all of the ukes I have now.

Congrats on your new beauty, now you can join the Kanile'a club. :cool:

Why does everybody forget Keli'i along with Ko'olau? :confused:

When I was looking at my Kanile'a, I was also looking at a Keli'i. It was close, and there was a price difference of a few hundred $$, but the Kanile'a was #11 in MGM's solid vs laminate test, and most people chose #11 as the uke they wanted, whatever it was. They could hear the difference in sound. Even with YouTube compression, something came through.

Congrats on the new K. I've never been able to even hold one, sigh:drool:
It would be fun to try one of each, that's a good reason to wish for a trip to Hawaii, right?
Bernunzio's website lists an Ukulele Support Group.... has Ukulele playing officially become a dysfunction that we need support for? LOL!

Top Bottom