Curly Koa Binding Source

WOBster

Reaction score
I am looking for some really curly koa binding. Just need enough for a tenor uke (front and back body plus fretboard). I guessed that this would be the best place to ask!
Thanks for any help!

RCTONEWOOD, nad or UU member Tonewood, he sells all kinds of beautiful curly koa.
I am looking for some really curly koa binding. Just need enough for a tenor uke (front and back body plus fretboard). I guessed that this would be the best place to ask!
Thanks for any help!

I got some beautiful koa binding at Hana Lima for $10

Thanks for the suggestions so far... Unfortunately they do not have what I am looking for.
What I am looking for is stuff like what is on this ukulele by Moore Bettah....Which I chose as it is almost exactly what I am looking for...
http://www.moorebettahukes.com/909c.JPG
I will never even try to build anything as wonderful as he does... I am just looking for binding like this and in this darker color (which may have been stained) and this is the closest example I can find online for a visual. I am not trying to copy anything anyone has done (I know and understand this is a sensitive subject) I actually want it for a Brazilian/Cedar or Spruce Uke but have not been able to find anything of this quality. Maybe I won't be able too, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
Thanks again for any help

Last edited:
For a variety of reasons good matching sets of curly koa binding is hard to come buy. When I cut koa I'm cutting for sets not bindings. If you're lucky, bindings can be a by product of cutting sets. But to get contrasting colors your tactic needs to be a little different. Try to locate some "sticks", 2 X 2 material or similar and rip it yourself. Any time I run across and extremely consistently curly stick I'm thinking about bindings and put it aside.
There's a reason I charge so much more for curly koa binding.
BTW, dying koa is a sin.....

Thanks Chuck! I will start looking for sticks... And my apologies for even suggesting Koa color manipulation...I really can't afford any extra sins ;)
BTW, the ukulele in the photo I linked to is spectacular!

Top Bottom