Ukulele String Comparisons

Nickie

Reaction score
Has anyone done a chart that rates different makes and styles of ukulele strings for hardness, tension, loudness, etc, so that a comparison can be made without spending tens of dollars trying them out?

Someone had a google doc floating around that anyone could edit so people could put in the strings and what uke they tried them on and their opinion of them... but I have no idea where that is :p

Thank you for this thread Nickie. Also thanks to janeray1940, I was able to read the aforementioned Google doc without signing in. I had to resize my little lap top window to 75% on the view menu so I didn't have to scroll from side to side. Lots of info on there, from names familiar to us here in the cyber family.

MGM to the rescue again.

That weas a great video! Thanks, MGM, and thanks coolkayaker for posting the video here.

That was a great video for another reason - Now realizing that they all sound the same to me, I think the stake has finally been driven through the heart of my UAS. I'm free!

Kathryn

That was a great video for another reason - Now realizing that they all sound the same to me...

I was thinking the same thing. The few differences I was able to detect were so subtle that they were basically all the same to me. After reading so many discussions on strings I was lead to believe that the differences were much bigger. Maybe I'm just blessed/cursed with a less discerning ear.

Personally, I think the differences between strings are FAR more noticeable when you are using them yourself as opposed to on a youtube video. The worths on my Pono sound a hell of alot different to Aquilas on other ukes I have and when I watch videos I always felt the same...they all sound the same (but was too embarassed to say lol)

That was a great video for another reason - Now realizing that they all sound the same to me, I think the stake has finally been driven through the heart of my UAS. I'm free!

Kathryn

Ha ha, not so fast there Kathryn. I agree with Paulie. Listening to sound samples does not work well for me either. Unless something sounds extra good or extra bad I have trouble determining subtleties. I need to physically hold and play for myself.

Top Bottom