PDA

View Full Version : I'LL FLY AWAY - Re-entrant baritone

Ken Middleton
05-27-2012, 07:41 AM
I am getting to really enjoy playing the baritone uke. This one is an Ohana BK-35, all-solid mahogany. I'm using re-entrant tuning (high D). It is played in an adapted clawhammer style.

Recorded in my secret garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV0WzcE-hvA&feature=colike

quiltingshirley
05-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Wonderful. I don't know which I like best, the song or the Secret Garden. Thanks for sharing.

Ken Middleton
05-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Wonderful. I don't know which I like best, the song or the Secret Garden. Thanks for sharing.

Our house is very old, Shirley. even the garden has nooks and crannies.

drbekken
05-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Once again, a very, very nice little number. The re-entrant baritone sounds great. Myself, I'm going to put re-entrant DGBE strings on a tenor soon...just to check out how that will sound and feel.

Ken Middleton
05-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Once again, a very, very nice little number. The re-entrant baritone sounds great. Myself, I'm going to put re-entrant DGBE strings on a tenor soon...just to check out how that will sound and feel.

Trying re-entrant strings on a baritone has completely changed my mind about it. I love the baritone now.

Camsuke
05-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Lovely work as usual Ken, very enjoyable. I have gone the other direction with baritone strings and have alway played in re-entrant tuning, I have only recently started using a low G.

Ken Middleton
05-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Lovely work as usual Ken, very enjoyable. I have gone the other direction with baritone strings and have alway played in re-entrant tuning, I have only recently started using a low G.

Everyone enjoys different things. Having played the guitar for 50+ years, I much prefer the re-entrant tuning. I suppose because it is different and I can do so many more things with it.

lozarkman
05-27-2012, 12:20 PM
I really like this Ken!! Somehow the high reentrant drone string with the lower baritone melody really adds something to the sound. I have one Bari tuned to low G tuning that I am enjoying. But, I followed the experiment John (Oldephart) did using the D'Darrio G classical strings and with both a low and high g (what he calls a" reentrant ocatve" ukulele, which is one whole octave below the normal tuning . For my baritone singing voice it really fits my tone range. I now need to try the normal reentrant tuning (one octave above what I am currently using) since I have listened to your version of this tuning. What strings did you use for the reentrant tuning? Southcoastukes strings? thanks for the post. as always your talent shines through!! Lozark

ukunuke
05-27-2012, 01:58 PM
What a lovely addition for Memorial Day here in the US. Thanks, Ken. Great as usual - brings a tear to my eye to hear such a wonderful hymn done so well.

SweetWaterBlue
05-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Beautiful playing and setting Ken. I really like the sound of the re-entrant tuning on that bari

ukuleletim
05-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Everyone enjoys different things. Having played the guitar for 50+ years, I much prefer the re-entrant tuning. I suppose because it is different and I can do so many more things with it.

I'm with you on the re-entrant. I have 30+ years on a guitar and wouldn't find a regular baritone uke interesting. I would love to try one with re-entrant tuning. It sounds nice. And I love that song!

uke552
05-27-2012, 04:22 PM
What a lovely addition for Memorial Day here in the US. Thanks, Ken. Great as usual - brings a tear to my eye to hear such a wonderful hymn done so well.

I second that! Very nice Ken!

OldePhart
05-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Lovely, Ken. This is no kidding my all time favorite song not just of gospel tunes but of everything I listen too. I've already informed musician friends that they have to play it at my funeral when that day arrives. Great song and great rendition!

John

southcoastukes
05-27-2012, 04:44 PM
That was beautiful, Ken!

The rentrant G tuning has always been my personal favorite for a Baritone as well.

p.s: I can see your beautiful secret garden is in some northern clime. Chinese Wisteria was in bloom down here in Dixie back in March.

KyKo
05-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Very nice playing!

Ken Middleton
05-27-2012, 07:39 PM
... What strings did you use for the reentrant tuning? Southcoastukes strings? ...

They are Living Water strings. Very clear fluorocarbon.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of Memorial Day, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Beautiful playing and setting Ken. I really like the sound of the re-entrant tuning on that bari

Yes, re-entrant tuning seems to bring the baritone to life. I shall be using this uke again. I am excited about baritone now.

ukuloonie
05-27-2012, 08:09 PM
The playing and that Song was really great sounding on the baritone

Ken Middleton
05-27-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm with you on the re-entrant. I have 30+ years on a guitar and wouldn't find a regular baritone uke interesting. I would love to try one with re-entrant tuning. It sounds nice. And I love that song!

I think you and I agree on a lot of things, Tim. I used to find the baritone (dare I say it) rather boring. But now, it has suddenly become full of interesting possibilities. I working on a jig called Roaring Jelly (Smash the Windows) and it sounds great on the baritone with high D.

I second that! Very nice Ken!

Really glad you enjoyed it. Thanks.

Lovely, Ken. This is no kidding my all time favorite song not just of gospel tunes but of everything I listen too. I've already informed musician friends that they have to play it at my funeral when that day arrives. Great song and great rendition!

John

Thanks for watching though, John. I know it probably doesn't sound any different, but I like this adapted clawhammer techniques. It is enjoyable to play and this song is ideal (as well as being a great gospel hymn). Unfortunately, YT is full of "boom chick-a" versions of it.

That was beautiful, Ken!

The rentrant G tuning has always been my personal favorite for a Baritone as well.

p.s: I can see your beautiful secret garden is in some northern clime. Chinese Wisteria was in bloom down here in Dixie back in March.

Very nice playing!

The Wisteria is beautiful here now. Because of the old (300 yrs) garden wall, my secret garden is a bit of a suntrap. The weather here has been awful here though, until about a week ago.

The playing and that Song was really great sounding on the baritone

Yes, the baritone seems just right for this tune, I agree.

TCK
05-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Gorgeous Ken, just brilliant. I play it the similarly with SOuthcoast linears because I could not stand re-entrant tuning on the Bari, but I only payed guitar for a few weeks. You make that Re-entrant string sing as a drone- had my jaw on the floor again

Ken Middleton
05-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Gorgeous Ken, just brilliant. I play it the similarly with SOuthcoast linears because I could not stand re-entrant tuning on the Bari, but I only payed guitar for a few weeks. You make that Re-entrant string sing as a drone- had my jaw on the floor again

Glad you liked it. I enjoyed recording it. Recorded a couple of other things at te same session too. I am really loving the baritone (with high D). May play it at the WCUF this year. Will you be there, D?

ukuhippo
05-27-2012, 10:51 PM
You da man again Ken. Beautiful played in a beautiful setting. Reminds me of and stimulates me to a thing I neglected the last days: practise.

Ken Middleton
05-28-2012, 12:40 AM
You da man again Ken. Beautiful played in a beautiful setting. Reminds me of and stimulates me to a thing I neglected the last days: practise.

It is always good to practise. Thanks.

The Big Kahuna
05-28-2012, 01:22 AM
That's brilliant Ken. The only thing stopping me buying a Baritone is the number of 6 strings I already have. Then again, why should that stop me. I spend so much time in Stoke, I wish you had a shop that I could browse :)

Ken Middleton
05-28-2012, 06:22 AM
That's brilliant Ken. The only thing stopping me buying a Baritone is the number of 6 strings I already have. Then again, why should that stop me. I spend so much time in Stoke, I wish you had a shop that I could browse :)

I will have a shop at the Cheltenham Festival this coming weekend. I will a display of most of the new stock from the Frankfurt trade fair and well as some real bargains to buy. Try to get along if you can.

blue_knight_usa
05-28-2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks a lot Ken, not only do you sound fantastic, now you have flared up my UAS and I'm going to have to get a baritone ukulele (which I know of one available). Argh!!!!!!!

See you at the festival again in September. Looking forward to another class and jam session with you.

Cheers,

I am getting to really enjoy playing the baritone uke. This one is an Ohana BK-35, all-solid mahogany. I'm using re-entrant tuning (high D). It is played in an adapted clawhammer style.

Recorded in my secret garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV0WzcE-hvA&feature=colike

Ken Middleton
05-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks a lot Ken, not only do you sound fantastic, now you have flared up my UAS and I'm going to have to get a baritone ukulele (which I know of one available). Argh!!!!!!!

See you at the festival again in September. Looking forward to another class and jam session with you.

Cheers,

Lookin' forward to it, Jay. See you there.

FriendlyFred
05-28-2012, 09:22 AM
That sounds graet, like all your recordings.
I wouldn't play in re-entrant tuning on a baritone uke.
I like to have a low 4th for the basslines.
But I guess it's good for the clawhammer style.
I like the sound of the uke.

Tootler
05-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Very good, Ken.

I'm with those who say that if you're going to play clawhammer style, you really need the re-entrant tuning and it works really well on your baritone.

Ken Middleton
05-28-2012, 12:01 PM
That sounds graet, like all your recordings.
I wouldn't play in re-entrant tuning on a baritone uke.
I like to have a low 4th for the basslines.
But I guess it's good for the clawhammer style.
I like the sound of the uke.

Thank you. Don't know about bass lines. A low 4th only gives you 3 extra scale notes at most. A re-entrant string however, opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities.

Very good, Ken.

I'm with those who say that if you're going to play clawhammer style, you really need the re-entrant tuning and it works really well on your baritone.

Thanks very much indeed.

Clawhammer doesn't sound like clawhammer with a low 4th. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Regular clawhammer can sound a bit predictable and pretty. doin something different can be more fun. having said that, I agree with you: a high D works so well.

Freeda
05-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Ridiculously beautiful.

Ken Middleton
05-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Ridiculously beautiful.

Glad you enjoyed it, Freeda.

Capt Amazo
05-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Ken, I don't know how you do it, but you manage to make every cover you do absolutely perfect. Fantastic. :)

Ken Middleton
05-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Ken, I don't know how you do it, but you manage to make every cover you do absolutely perfect. Fantastic. :)

What a lovely comment! Thanks very much.

One way to do it is to not try to copy the way someone else does it. I always try to do it my own way and almost never listen to the way someone else does a tune before I record it. My advice to anyone would be to do it your own way, not someone else's. Even if it is done very simply, it is always better to do your own version of a song and not try to cover the way someone else does it.

Anyway, thanks again, Capt.

Josiahjjr
05-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Lovely playing. Very soothing arrangement and sound.
I like this less stressful clawhammer style. Definitely gave me some ideas.

Thanks for sharing!!

Ken Middleton
05-29-2012, 06:10 AM
Lovely playing. Very soothing arrangement and sound.
I like this less stressful clawhammer style. Definitely gave me some ideas.

Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks. Yes, it is nice to change it a bit.

His Sinfulness
05-29-2012, 06:21 AM
As always, your videos are inspiring. :cool:

Ken Middleton
05-29-2012, 08:21 AM
As always, your videos are inspiring. :cool:

Thanks very much, HS.

aspieman456
05-30-2012, 04:07 AM
The foottapping is a good touch. I like that.

Ken Middleton
05-30-2012, 04:10 AM
The foottapping is a good touch. I like that.

Usually it is on a carpet and not so noticeable. Thanks.

Tsaw
05-30-2012, 06:20 AM
Hey Ken, great tune, could listen to it all day!
Love the garden too!!
-Tsaw

Ken Middleton
05-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Hey Ken, great tune, could listen to it all day!
Love the garden too!!
-Tsaw

It is about to rain on my garden. It certainly needs it. Thanks.

Tsaw
05-30-2012, 06:50 AM
It is about to rain on my garden. It certainly needs it. Thanks.
You're welcome.
Rainy days are great for gardens and for sitting back in a comfy chair playing the uke!

FriendlyFred
05-31-2012, 07:27 AM
[QUOTE=Ken Middleton;948916]Thank you. Don't know about bass lines. A low 4th only gives you 3 extra scale notes at most. A re-entrant string however, opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities.

I count 4 extra notes ( D D# E F F# ).
But anyway I always enjoy your sophisticated uke performances in that laid-back style.

Ken Middleton
05-31-2012, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=Ken Middleton;948916]

I count 4 extra notes ( D D# E F F# ).
But anyway I always enjoy your sophisticated uke performances in that laid-back style.

Sorry, I was bit vague. I was referring to diatonic scales: major or minor. Anyway, thanks. "Laid back" is certainly the effect I try hard to achieve.

mm stan
06-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Aloha Ken,
Missed this one...Lovely, your playing and the mystery garden..I see you are getting into that
baritone groove..thank you for sharing..

FriendlyFred
06-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Oh, I miscounted. It's five notes. But that doesn't matter.

TCK
06-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Yes Ken, I will be at wine country. Can't wait to listen to you play in person again. Truly a beautiful run at a great old tune here, got me coming back for seconds.

Ken Middleton
06-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Yes Ken, I will be at wine country. Can't wait to listen to you play in person again. Truly a beautiful run at a great old tune here, got me coming back for seconds.

Looking forward to seeing you again. Should be a great festival. The website is just being put together.

strumsilly
06-18-2012, 04:03 AM
was looking for a thread on bari strings and found this, and I'm glad I did. Loved your rendition on I'll fly away. I have one bari strung with southcoast linear [low G] , and just acquired another bari[a Koloa] so I could have one in G tuning [low D]. Had a set of Worth CB[no wound] around so I put those on. they haven't finished stretching but I really dislike the low D. fat and feels like a rubber band. was giong to put a wound D from another set on, but after listening to you, I may go reentrant. I guess I could put the Ist string {E} on from that set and tune it to D. thanks again.

Ken Middleton
06-18-2012, 04:17 AM
was looking for a thread on bari strings and found this, and I'm glad I did. Loved your rendition on I'll fly away. I have one bari strung with southcoast linear [low G] , and just acquired another bari[a Koloa] so I could have one in G tuning [low D]. Had a set of Worth CB[no wound] around so I put those on. they haven't finished stretching but I really dislike the low D. fat and feels like a rubber band. was giong to put a wound D from another set on, but after listening to you, I may go reentrant. I guess I could put the Ist string {E} on from that set and tune it to D. thanks again.

Yes, a 1st string would work fine as a 4th string. It is what I use on my own brand strings. I agree about the low D being too floppy. However, I believe that baritone strings should not be too tight or they start sounding like cheap guitars. re-entrant tuning is another way to avoid this. I will never use low D tuning after trying re-entrant baritone. have you heard Ian from The Re-entrants playing the Ohana baritone with high D tuning? He uses the gloss model of the BK-35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RgV8pTVjIo&feature=colike

strumsilly
06-18-2012, 05:53 AM
thanks, that's what I did and I like it