I'LL FLY AWAY - Re-entrant baritone

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
I am getting to really enjoy playing the baritone uke. This one is an Ohana BK-35, all-solid mahogany. I'm using re-entrant tuning (high D). It is played in an adapted clawhammer style.

Recorded in my secret garden.

Once again, a very, very nice little number. The re-entrant baritone sounds great. Myself, I'm going to put re-entrant DGBE strings on a tenor soon...just to check out how that will sound and feel.

Once again, a very, very nice little number. The re-entrant baritone sounds great. Myself, I'm going to put re-entrant DGBE strings on a tenor soon...just to check out how that will sound and feel.

Trying re-entrant strings on a baritone has completely changed my mind about it. I love the baritone now.

Lovely work as usual Ken, very enjoyable. I have gone the other direction with baritone strings and have alway played in re-entrant tuning, I have only recently started using a low G.

Everyone enjoys different things. Having played the guitar for 50+ years, I much prefer the re-entrant tuning. I suppose because it is different and I can do so many more things with it.

I really like this Ken!! Somehow the high reentrant drone string with the lower baritone melody really adds something to the sound. I have one Bari tuned to low G tuning that I am enjoying. But, I followed the experiment John (Oldephart) did using the D'Darrio G classical strings and with both a low and high g (what he calls a" reentrant ocatve" ukulele, which is one whole octave below the normal tuning . For my baritone singing voice it really fits my tone range. I now need to try the normal reentrant tuning (one octave above what I am currently using) since I have listened to your version of this tuning. What strings did you use for the reentrant tuning? Southcoastukes strings? thanks for the post. as always your talent shines through!! Lozark

What a lovely addition for Memorial Day here in the US. Thanks, Ken. Great as usual - brings a tear to my eye to hear such a wonderful hymn done so well.

Everyone enjoys different things. Having played the guitar for 50+ years, I much prefer the re-entrant tuning. I suppose because it is different and I can do so many more things with it.

I'm with you on the re-entrant. I have 30+ years on a guitar and wouldn't find a regular baritone uke interesting. I would love to try one with re-entrant tuning. It sounds nice. And I love that song!

What a lovely addition for Memorial Day here in the US. Thanks, Ken. Great as usual - brings a tear to my eye to hear such a wonderful hymn done so well.

I second that! Very nice Ken!

Lovely, Ken. This is no kidding my all time favorite song not just of gospel tunes but of everything I listen too. I've already informed musician friends that they have to play it at my funeral when that day arrives. Great song and great rendition!

John

That was beautiful, Ken!

The rentrant G tuning has always been my personal favorite for a Baritone as well.

p.s: I can see your beautiful secret garden is in some northern clime. Chinese Wisteria was in bloom down here in Dixie back in March.

Last edited:
... What strings did you use for the reentrant tuning? Southcoastukes strings? ...

They are Living Water strings. Very clear fluorocarbon.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of Memorial Day, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Beautiful playing and setting Ken. I really like the sound of the re-entrant tuning on that bari

Yes, re-entrant tuning seems to bring the baritone to life. I shall be using this uke again. I am excited about baritone now.

I'm with you on the re-entrant. I have 30+ years on a guitar and wouldn't find a regular baritone uke interesting. I would love to try one with re-entrant tuning. It sounds nice. And I love that song!

I think you and I agree on a lot of things, Tim. I used to find the baritone (dare I say it) rather boring. But now, it has suddenly become full of interesting possibilities. I working on a jig called Roaring Jelly (Smash the Windows) and it sounds great on the baritone with high D.

I second that! Very nice Ken!

Really glad you enjoyed it. Thanks.

Lovely, Ken. This is no kidding my all time favorite song not just of gospel tunes but of everything I listen too. I've already informed musician friends that they have to play it at my funeral when that day arrives. Great song and great rendition!

John

Thanks for watching though, John. I know it probably doesn't sound any different, but I like this adapted clawhammer techniques. It is enjoyable to play and this song is ideal (as well as being a great gospel hymn). Unfortunately, YT is full of "boom chick-a" versions of it.

That was beautiful, Ken!

The rentrant G tuning has always been my personal favorite for a Baritone as well.

p.s: I can see your beautiful secret garden is in some northern clime. Chinese Wisteria was in bloom down here in Dixie back in March.

Very nice playing!

The Wisteria is beautiful here now. Because of the old (300 yrs) garden wall, my secret garden is a bit of a suntrap. The weather here has been awful here though, until about a week ago.

The playing and that Song was really great sounding on the baritone

Yes, the baritone seems just right for this tune, I agree.

Gorgeous Ken, just brilliant. I play it the similarly with SOuthcoast linears because I could not stand re-entrant tuning on the Bari, but I only payed guitar for a few weeks. You make that Re-entrant string sing as a drone- had my jaw on the floor again

Gorgeous Ken, just brilliant. I play it the similarly with SOuthcoast linears because I could not stand re-entrant tuning on the Bari, but I only payed guitar for a few weeks. You make that Re-entrant string sing as a drone- had my jaw on the floor again

Glad you liked it. I enjoyed recording it. Recorded a couple of other things at te same session too. I am really loving the baritone (with high D). May play it at the WCUF this year. Will you be there, D?

Top Bottom