PDA

View Full Version : UWC 2012 Trip reports...

OldePhart
05-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Being a thread for reports from people who are already at the Ukulele Mecca or on their way...

I'm 330 miles closer to Needmore tonight, tucked up safe and sound in a hotel in Bryant, AR. Tomorrow I'll make the short drive to Memphis where I plan to hit a couple of museums and then get some ribs and blues on Beale street.

John

Ukulelerob
05-28-2012, 03:49 AM
I'm starting down tomorrow. I should be there in the early afternoon, if everything goes well. Are you planning on being there Tuesday afternoon late?

hoosierhiver
05-28-2012, 03:50 AM
David Dawg, Fran and Jenny arrived last night. Showing up 5 days early is a new UWC record.

Ukulelerob
05-28-2012, 05:09 AM
David Dawg, Fran and Jenny arrived last night. Showing up 5 days early is a new UWC record.

I wanted to wait 'til the holiday weekend settled down to come.

BBQUKER
05-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Hey John. I'll take you up on the setting up near you. If you could save me some room (pop up camper 10 x 10 EZ Up and my truck whcih can probably go anywhere).

Oh, leaving Weds afternoon. Stop in Illinois to see my Mom. Hope to be there Thurs noon.

Dan

Freeda
05-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Trying to coax husband and teen into leaving Thursday instead of Friday. Wish me luck.

ukemunga
05-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Just about finished the ukemungamobile...

Plan to be there Thursday afternoon sometime.

woohoo!

Pondoro
05-28-2012, 12:58 PM

I drove across Indiana on Saturday for other reasons, returning from a family party. I considered a detour through Needmore just to say, "It is Saturday, I'm already here!" but it would have added too much time to the trip. If I'd known I could have set the record I might have done it!

23skidoo
05-28-2012, 01:51 PM

woohoo!

Now that's just coooool.

Clan Skidoo will descend Thursday afternoon......

ukemunga
05-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks!

The PVC bed frame is not glued so it's easily disassembled and the platform is in 2 pieces. All stows behind the upright rear seats when not in use.

Just figured out a way to use 3 more pieces of PVC with (2) 45 degree elbows to make struts off the back of the raised hatch. Cheap tarp and a couple of stakes and I'll have a parlor and a place to sit if it rains.

Sheesh... haven't camped out since the boy scouts!

chindog
05-28-2012, 03:22 PM
I can't come until my work is done on Friday. I'll arrive late Friday night. Someone please save me a beer!!!!!

OldePhart
05-28-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm starting down tomorrow. I should be there in the early afternoon, if everything goes well. Are you planning on being there Tuesday afternoon late?

I'm here! Just checked in at BCI for the night. (Wow, that sounds like Brown County Correctional Institute...let's make it clear...Brown County Inn.)

I woke up in Bryant this morning and realized that the stuff I most wanted to do in Memphis (Gibson factory tour being #1) would probably be closed for the holiday. I couldn't bring myself to spin my wheels in Memphis for a whole day so I just blew it off and came straight through.

BTW, if anybody is planning on coming up I57 from the south there is apparently construction around MM 91 that had traffic backed up for miles - you might want to take I55 to St. Louis and then across. I bailed out on IL 14 and hopped county road to county road from there until I could finally hook up with US50. That cost me about an hour.

John

OldePhart
05-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Hey John. I'll take you up on the setting up near you. If you could save me some room (pop up camper 10 x 10 EZ Up and my truck whcih can probably go anywhere).

Oh, leaving Weds afternoon. Stop in Illinois to see my Mom. Hope to be there Thurs noon.

Dan

I'll leave you some space but can't guarantee to hold it because I won't be at the field all the time. I'll mention it to those camping there, though and I'm sure they'll watch out for the pulled pork, I mean, for you! :)

jOhn

OldePhart
05-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Cool - that's pretty fancy.

John

woohoo!

ukemunga
05-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Cool - that's pretty fancy.

John

Now if I could just play well enough make all this trouble fun worthwhile. :rolleyes:

jkevinwolfe
05-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Ukemunga: Playing ability is always optional at UWC.

dave g
05-29-2012, 03:32 AM
Sheesh... haven't camped out since the boy scouts!

Me neither - we're going to camp out at the Salt Creek Inn :-)

HarmonicaBruce
05-29-2012, 06:11 AM
Or is the McDonalds reasonably close? I'll be there Thur afternoon.

I tried to add my picture to my profile, lets see if it works.

misterpk
05-29-2012, 07:50 AM
UWC is so awesome you won't even miss the Internet!

My flight leaves Cali at 9:15 pm!

Pondoro
05-29-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm loading the car. Pink flamingos. Camp chairs. Gas grill.

RyRod
05-29-2012, 03:51 PM
This full time job thing really messes things up :(. I can't believe people are already starting to get there though! That's dedication!

Seeing that I've only been at the company less than a month I haven't earned any vacation time yet. It's also bad timing that UWC starts on the 1st of the month. Any of you accountants out there know about month end/mailing statements on the 1st. Luckily my boss is generous and really into my ukulele stuff (it's true that your employers look for everything about you online).

Oh well, I should not complaing because I'm fortunate to have a job out of college.

I'll be working 1/2 the day Friday and driving down. My uncle is letting me take the mustang :cool: and I should be there around 7-9 ish.

Just put the tent up in the back yard to make sure that it's ready to go and I'll be loading the car Thursday night.

Can't wait!

Wooville
05-30-2012, 01:14 AM
I'm coming to Bean Blossom ( approx. 6 miles from Needmore) tomorrow to the 2nd Annual John Hartford Festival. I will surely make a visit or 2 to the UWC, and hope to shake and howdy with some new friends. I've got a couple of friends that are gonna tag along and see what all the hoopla's about.<G> Afterall, I did tell them that it was a nude Ukulele fest. hahah!

See ya soon,

sukie
05-30-2012, 03:08 AM
I'm loading the car. Pink flamingos. Camp chairs. Gas grill.
Excellent packing list. The flamingoes, I mean.

I will get packed up and be leaving in an hour or so. I'll see you people sometime tomorrow afternoon.

pootsie
05-30-2012, 03:26 AM
Clean undies, check
Sleeping bag and tent, check
Ukulele, check

Leaving tomorrow morning and should be there by 4ish after a stop in town to load up on ukulele. Even though the website says otherwise, Mike told me he still has what I want there. I'm so glad I don't have to wait a thousand years for that dang bird to lay another one.

Then you guys can teach me to play the dang thing. I'll be the one in the shirt that says 'noob'

Pondoro
05-30-2012, 04:26 AM
Heading out...

ukeeku
05-31-2012, 01:51 AM
Car is packed, Will leave in an hour. Hoping to get tentzilla up before it rains. See y'all soon.

hoosierhiver
05-31-2012, 04:08 AM
Great jam last night, about 20 folks around a campfire. Not bad for 2 days early.

itsscottwilder
05-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Getting ready to go home, get packed and head on down!!!

Anyone have links to all the pdf's to download?

gyosh
05-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Okay people on instagram. For those of us unable to attend, we would like pictures of people, we know what beer and booze looks like :)

rbeetsme
05-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Bruce, McDonalds next to the Salt Creek Inn. highway 46 1 block east of I135 south of Nashville.

itsscottwilder
05-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Checked in at Brown County Inn!!!!

Tack
05-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Sooooo excited..
Currently mid Atlantic with wifi available on the plane!
The nice people at checkin upgraded me to first class (!) and - luckily- said I could bring both the Mya moe and the Moore bettah on as hand luggage *phew*
The lovely woman I spoke to at BCI said they were getting their penthouse suit ready for me and have arranged for a car to meet me at the airport.
With a bit of luck I will be there in time for the first official jam :smileybounce:

Awwwww who am I kidding :(
Sooo jealous of all you guys.... One day? :D

rbeetsme
05-31-2012, 01:45 PM
I'd sure like to see that penthouse suite in Brown County!

Freeda
05-31-2012, 01:58 PM
No doubt. We'll be at the two star Comfort Inn. :/

rbeetsme
05-31-2012, 04:09 PM
I'll be occupying the 1/2 star Beets tent.

hoosierhiver
06-01-2012, 03:49 AM
I'll be occupying the 1/2 star Beets tent.

You spelled Beer wrong.

I counted 60+ people jamming last night, plus people in the tents and folks at the cabins, I'd estimate about 100 people already, not bad for the day before it starts. I finally went to bed about 1am.
Cool and cloudy this morning, but the weather is supposed to clear around noon and stay nice.

CoLmes
06-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Last night was awesome. Great jamming. Have some awesome pictures already. Currently eating with Andy, rob, nick and Sukie at the brown county inn. Gotta recharge for tonight.

wolfchs
06-01-2012, 07:02 AM
I can't explain how sad :( I am as I sit here in front of my computer at work that I can't be there to experience this wonderful event... but I am happy for the people that are able to be there! Don't forget to post pics and videos and reports so at least we (peeps who can't make it) can feel like we were somehow there too :o

gyosh
06-01-2012, 07:42 AM
I can't explain how sad :( I am as I sit here in front of my computer at work that I can't be there to experience this wonderful event... but I am happy for the people that are able to be there! Don't forget to post pics and videos and reports so at least we (peeps who can't make it) can feel like we were somehow there too :o

:agree: :agree:

thesillydave
06-01-2012, 07:43 AM

my sentiments exactly! next year!! have fun everyone!!

RyRod
06-01-2012, 08:28 AM
leaving now! finally.

UKISOCIETY
06-01-2012, 03:54 PM
56 degrees at the UWC right now and I'm sure the jamming is going on strong. Stay warm, brethren and sistren!

mds725
06-02-2012, 09:39 AM

Yes, please post pics, videos and reports for those of us unable to be there. Thanks!

shawnparslow
06-02-2012, 05:01 PM
I just edited a 15 minute video (max youtube length) that I took today at UWC. It is uploading as I type. I will post it as soon as its up!

shawnparslow
06-02-2012, 05:28 PM
I have a few photos here (I didnt take many) but took a lot of video.

https://picasaweb.google.com/shawnparslow/UWC2012

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-QBuHk0m6MS0/T8rXyR8GNRI/AAAAAAAACFw/qJNE5m3swPU/s1000/P6029189.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zVlgFvgLzfo/T8rXxoZBp4I/AAAAAAAACFo/M0On1ICifDA/s1000/P6029185.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FM9O--2rEFo/T8rW9WCgQLI/AAAAAAAACE0/cKppmXkOQls/s1000/P6029178.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6SNvJ5yG7KQ/T8rWjfG4fJI/AAAAAAAACEM/MLHH9Y8xnUw/s1000/IMG_2761.jpg

chindog
06-02-2012, 06:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOcGlehJ1iE

shawnparslow
06-03-2012, 02:05 AM
Here is 15 minutes of video from UWC Saturday afternoon and early evening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtKDH4768r8

chicago911
06-03-2012, 02:03 PM
What a great time we had. Met new friends and old friends. Made me feel like a kid again. Save a spot for me for next year.

ukemunga
06-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Just got home about an hour ago and have been viewing pics and videos I shot. I've got a good number of performances on video (parts of each) and am trying to figure out how to edit and combine into a postable vid. I'll get it done somehow and upload sometime soon.

A heartfelt thank you to Mike and Tootka for hosting this great event and to everyone else I met for being so great. This noob felt right at home and had a helluva good time!

Freeda
06-03-2012, 02:21 PM
I can't wait to see video montages from those who have the editing skills to make something like that. :)

Steedy
06-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Got home from UWC on Sunday afternoon, around 5:00 PM CDT (UTC -5, that is).

I brought the woman and two grand-daughters, ages 4 and 5. For the girls, it was their first road trip, and their first time to stay in a hotel. We stayed at the Abe Martin Lodge, in Brown County State Park, and had a great time. The Lodge has an indoor aquatic center, with an awesome water slide, and the girls loved it! They also enjoyed the game room there, and they were amazed that someone came in and made up our beds and cleaned our room for us each day. :)

We did the whole tourist thing in Nashville on Saturday, and also visited Mainland Ukes while in town.

We were actually at UWC for only a short time on Friday & Saturday evening, but the girls got to see the Friday night bonfire, while I got to hear Dominator play his custom tenor uke, which was a real treat. Then on Saturday evening, I won some nice swag in the raffle, just before the rain started and we headed back to the Lodge.

It was a great road trip for the girls, and we all had a real good time. Mahalo to Mike and Tookta for all their hard work. Hopefully, we'll be back next year, and will have more time to hang out and meet folks.

Thanks,

Steedy

chindog
06-03-2012, 02:55 PM
My only regret for the whole weekend was that I never made it to Mainland Ukes. But it wasn't for lack of trying... I walked around Nashville for an hour and a half Saturday afternoon looking for it. I asked several people in shops around the area (and even a cop on the street). They would direct me to some location which would either be a music store that wasn't Mainland, or somewhere where there was no music store at all. It's probably a good thing for my bank account, because if I had found it, I would have walked out with a new uke. Still sorry I never made it to the store, though.

Pondoro
06-03-2012, 03:19 PM
My only regret for the whole weekend was that I never made it to Mainland Ukes. But it wasn't for lack of trying... I walked around Nashville for an hour and a half Saturday afternoon looking for it. I asked several people in shops around the area (and even a cop on the street). They would direct me to some location which would either be a music store that wasn't Mainland, or somewhere where there was no music store at all. It's probably a good thing for my bank account, because if I had found it, I would have walked out with a new uke. Still sorry I never made it to the store, though.

Next year, we'll get you there!

decaturcomp
06-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Here's a place to start with UWC Video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtKDH4768r8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oilj79X8npM&feature=g-u-u

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5EMmVAOlbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJFsZds-FbE

‎Ronin Wong (https://www.facebook.com/ronin.wong)
and Jennifer Lowe (https://www.facebook.com/jennifer.lowe.319)
and company, Love Hurts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3V-kxNWyvc&list=UUa57R-HT-UlbHxQ0i2hy7yw&index=1&feature=plcp

decaturcomp
06-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Great stuff. Thanks! See you next year!

I just edited a 15 minute video (max youtube length) that I took today at UWC. It is uploading as I type. I will post it as soon as its up!

Trackzilla
06-03-2012, 11:14 PM
I joined the forum to officially say thanks to Mike, Tootka, and everyone at UWC for again making me feel like family rather than the man behind the curtain.

As a man who is a part of LOTS of festivals, let me assure all who weren't there and may have doubts about the rave reviews from all who were...they aren't exaggeration, it's truly that wonderful, these people are absolutely amazing in their camaraderie and kindness.

On an impulse I told the computer 'yes please, if you wouldn't mind doing that too' and theoretically I multitracked the audio from the latter part of Saturday night...hopefully I can find time soon to visit the tracks for a bit of a mixing session, I'll let people know what I find lurking there as the final resultant quality for live recording is always a bit of a crapshoot, as those who've done it can attest.

I humbly offer my help with any audio tech related questions that arise for anyone here ;)

Ramsey
Kingsnake Sound Company

chicago911
06-04-2012, 01:57 AM
Much thanks to Mike and Tootka. Had a wonderful weekend.

itsscottwilder
06-04-2012, 03:50 AM
You were awesome!!! Thanks for all your work! Can't wait to hear the mixes!

I joined the forum to officially say thanks to Mike, Tootka, and everyone at UWC for again making me feel like family rather than the man behind the curtain.

As a man who is a part of LOTS of festivals, let me assure all who weren't there and may have doubts about the rave reviews from all who were...they aren't exaggeration, it's truly that wonderful, these people are absolutely amazing in their camaraderie and kindness.

On an impulse I told the computer 'yes please, if you wouldn't mind doing that too' and theoretically I multitracked the audio from the latter part of Saturday night...hopefully I can find time soon to visit the tracks for a bit of a mixing session, I'll let people know what I find lurking there as the final resultant quality for live recording is always a bit of a crapshoot, as those who've done it can attest.

I humbly offer my help with any audio tech related questions that arise for anyone here ;)

Ramsey
Kingsnake Sound Company

BBQUKER
06-04-2012, 01:11 PM
What a weekend. Still on an ukulele high. Thanks Mike & Tootka. And thanks for all the great talent up on stage and the jamming around the campsites. This is already on my calendar for next year. And a special thanks to the Cin City guys for inviting me to play with them on the stage. What a thrill!!!

Dan

hoosierhiver
06-05-2012, 03:59 AM
The Cin City guys were pretty impressive!

seeso
06-05-2012, 04:52 AM

Ramsey
Kingsnake Sound Company

Ramsey, you frickin' rule! Thanks for your excellence!

seeso
06-05-2012, 04:53 AM
I have a few photos here (I didnt take many) but took a lot of video.

Sweet! Let us know when you've posted the videos, please!

CoLmes
06-05-2012, 04:55 AM
Yet another awesome UWC! What else can you say? If you haven't been to this yet, you better mark it for next year.

Just got home last night, started working on the session recordings and photos on the planes so I'm about half done with those. Can't wait to post them.

Met so many more awesome people, 364ish days til the next one.

Nick from PA
06-05-2012, 08:31 AM
This was my first UWC, and I gotta say, I had loads of fun. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

itsscottwilder
06-05-2012, 08:35 AM
You were awesome nick!

I grew up in the Poconos!

Coming back next year?

This was my first UWC, and I gotta say, I had loads of fun. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

UKISOCIETY
06-05-2012, 08:39 AM

You were a great addition to the ranks, Nick. Glad I was able to m.c. your set on Saturday.

PoisonDart
06-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Ramsey you do rule! I can't wait to see all the videos everyone took. My only regret is that I didn't have enough time to hang out with all my friends from the prior 3 UWCs, much less get to meet the rest of the gang.

Nick from PA
06-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Alan, Scott, thank you! I'd love to go again next year but won't know for sure until close to that time--it's pretty tricky for me to get away for any length of time.

itsscottwilder
06-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Alan, Scott, thank you! I'd love to go again next year but won't know for sure until close to that time--it's pretty tricky for me to get away for any length of time.

If you come back next year, please let me know. Would love to collaborate on some straight ahead jazz tunes!

Nick from PA
06-05-2012, 11:04 AM
If you come back next year, please let me know. Would love to collaborate on some straight ahead jazz tunes!

Ooh, that'd be nice. Would love to.

Penguinofsorts
06-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Just wondering...is there a Guinness book of world records entry for "longest continuous 'open mic'"?

UncleElvis
06-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Just wondering...is there a Guinness book of world records entry for "longest continuous 'open mic'"?

Now THAT, I'd be up for!

UncleElvis
06-05-2012, 06:15 PM

Ramsey
Kingsnake Sound Company
Ramsey brother, reading this made me tear up. This is beautiful news.
You are an AMAZING soundman and it's a joy to be on stage, knowing that you're taking care of me.
The fact that you're an amazing human being is just the icing on the cake!

thomdawg
06-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Hey Trackzilla, You are one of the biggest reasons this crazy world works! I love the jamming, and it is one of the most important parts of the congress, but when you can have people getting together and performing with folks they have just met... well true majic can happen. You help us make it happen. My feelings have always been that the person doing sound is part of the band... so you were in MANY different groups through the weekend!

Thank you so much!

Ramsey
Kingsnake Sound Company

Freeda
06-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Ditto that. Ramsey was amazing. You could hear clear into the further part of the field with no distortion. And the sound when performing onstage wasn't overwhelming either. Dude is good - real good.