Cheapo Vintage Question

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
Howdy Pluckers,

Grabbed this lil guy at a flea market for twenty bucks. Going to fix one small crack and touchup the fake white binding. It is a 50s harmony. My question is thus. All of the nut slots are the same size, what strings should I use? Does anyone sell a set that all four strings are the same diameter? thanks in advance for any help :)

photo.jpg

It's the varying diameters which give the different sounds so I don't think you'll find sets in the same diameter. I don't know the answer to the nut slot question but I can understand the concern. The differences in diameter are so small that the slots are probably designed to accomodate those differences.

Last edited:
I've got one just like it, put a set of "D" Aquilas on and they fit fine. It has a great old timey kind of sound. I think the zero fret kind of nulifies the need for a good fit in the nut.

thanks for the advice folks, I just ordered a set of the aquilia d strings. On another note there are some varying depth notches on the wood saddle since it and the bridge are one piece it is a bit trickier than a new saddle. My intention is to build up a little clear nail polish in the notches. Any input?

Top Bottom