First Inlay try

Pono

Reaction score
Here is my first inlay try. I was pretty sure the whole time that I was doing this process that I was going to mess it up but I was pretty happy in the end.

Inlay2.jpg

Nice. Can you post a pic or list of all the tools/supplies you needed?

I used the following tools:
-Dremel Tool
-router base for the dremel tool sold at Stew Mac
-1/8",1/16",1/32" carbide tip router bits for the dremel also sold at Stewmac
-exacto knife with #11 blade
-duco cement
-chalk
-thin CA glue
-sand paper
-pump to blow away dust when routing area to inlay

I just used an exacto knife for the pointed part of the claws. I liked that better than the routing because I felt like I had more control. Next time I might try a ebony to make it more forgiving so that I can fill with black epoxy.

flag tip? Please enlighten us a bit more, please....

Nice job Pono!

Chuck offered me a cut a few years back, which I gracefully denied and told him to keep it all. Now you guys are undercutting him into oblivion. Free market I guess. . .:cheers:

BTW, did you get your answer Chris? All of that for a piece of tape. . .:p

Aaron

Chuck offered me a cut a few years back, which I gracefully denied and told him to keep it all. Now you guys are undercutting him into oblivion. Free market I guess. . .:cheers:

BTW, did you get your answer Chris? All of that for a piece of tape. . .:p

Aaron

Special tape though. I sell it for $25 a roll.

Do an Advanced Search within the Ukulele Building / Luthier's Lounge forum for "flag". You will find it within one of the several threads listed. For 2 bucks I will tell you which one :)

Thank you... oh, and giant flashlight with rubber band ordered ;)

Special tape though. I sell it for $25 a roll.

I'm guessing an improvement on the design, precut with some cf cloth for reinforcement? That I didn't see coming.

Funny, I just routed yesterday with a new bit, and was too lazy to cut the tape. One plunge, and my laziness went away.

Side bar: Crist emailed me wanting more bits, which I don't have enough right now. Long story short, he ordered a 5" Knew Concepts Titanium saw, and after using it is wanting to order ANOTHER one, 3 incher. WTH? I'm still contemplating the adjustable angle one. . .

Aaron

I'm guessing an improvement on the design, precut with some cf cloth for reinforcement? That I didn't see coming.

Funny, I just routed yesterday with a new bit, and was too lazy to cut the tape. One plunge, and my laziness went away.

Side bar: Crist emailed me wanting more bits, which I don't have enough right now. Long story short, he ordered a 5" Knew Concepts Titanium saw, and after using it is wanting to order ANOTHER one, 3 incher. WTH? I'm still contemplating the adjustable angle one. . .

Aaron

Yes, I just saw him and I'm trying to convince him to the the power saw. The adjustable angle saw would only confuse me.

BTW, I found the silver metal tape, the kind that's used on roof flashing I think, (or maybe duct work) works best for bit flags. They are more expensive though. I sell those at $10 each.

Posh version.:)
Unimerco-ChipDiverter.jpg

Top Bottom