FS: Ken Timms Reproduced Martin Style "0"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bahama.blue

Reaction score
Ken Timms Reproduced Martin Style "0" . Excellent Condition with less than 10 hrs of playing time. No scratches, dings, etc. Mostly finger picked, no strums marks.
I've copied Ken's (hope you don't mind Ken) own words concerning this particular instrument.
I have tried to reproduce the main features of the classic Martin Style "0" made in the years between 1920 to 1950's....Solid Mahogany Body and one piece back front and Neck ... "Ebony" fretboard with Mother of Pearl marker dots (The original Style 0 fretboard was Rosewood with Ivoroid dots)...Martin Spec: Dovetail Neck Joint.... ...Arched Back....Ebony Saddle and Nut....Finish is Hand rubbed in Shellac/French Polish (Aimed to give that Vintage Look ) ...Fitted with Aquila Strings and Quality Tuners
He considered this uke a "second". His comments...."Factory Second" that is if I owned a factory...Whats wrong with it? I hear you ask..Not a lot! it sounds and plays great nice action and all that stuff...but! somehow it ended up with the neck slightly out to the body centre line??? and the bridge had to be moved across by approx: 3mm to make the strings fall in line with the neck..You wouldn't know if it wasn't pointed out to you
I'm no expert on uke building, but did read here on UU Builders Forum that Ken's acceptable tolerances for building "1st" is commendable compared to some other builders.
For me it plays great, sounds great, looks fantastic. Need funding for a resonator. For your approval, I'll offer a 3 day trial period (ask pay return shipping). $400 shipped to the lower 48. Thank you.

Attachments

• P1060901.JPG
    P1060901.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 507
  • P1060893.JPG
    P1060893.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 325
  • P1060898.JPG
    P1060898.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 367
  • P1060895.JPG
    P1060895.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 311
  • P1060894.jpg
    P1060894.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Wednesday bump and now $400 shipped lower 48. These (1st) usually sell for around $450 plus overseas shipping fee.

Don't believe shipping to Au would be an issuse, but I'm reconsidering selling. It's this easiest playing/ best sounding soprano I've come across. Still raising funds for a resonator, but with a recent sell of another I might hang on to this one......sorry for the late reply.

Good on you, Mate!..... You have tweaked my interest in good mahogany sopranos- and Mr Timms in particular...... Cheers

After a couple of months good behavior , slipped and made another instrument purchase. So something has to go....so the Timms is back on the block for sale.......

Last edited:
I can't vouch for this particular instrument, but I can say I've been chasing mahogany sopranos for a good while now, and nothing I've played has come close to Ken Timms' work. The craftsmanship is superb, and the tone is wonderful.

If I had to venture a guess: his "seconds" are still better than the vast majority of what's out there.

Oh -- and the French polish finish is sliiiiick! I overshot my slides the first hour or two of playing. It's just that smooth.

Good luck with the sale.

Thanks for the comments Connor013. Agreed the French polish is sooooooooo smooth and looks even better. I read here on UU the same, his "second" tolerances are tighter than some other builders "first" . But I still offer a return/refund policy if someone had second (ha!) thoughts about it.
Mike

somebody needs to buy this uke. My first and only soprano uke is a Ken Timms S-0 and it is wonderful. His wife does an amazing job applying the finish and the sound...quite possibly the best sounding uke I own.

Friday bump. Just saw one go Ebay for $549...............

Getting lots of inquiries, but have not found a new home for the Timms yet. Just saw a new one go on Ebay for $540 last week. As I'm fairly new here and if it were an issue of concern, please check my Ebay feedback under the same user name: bahama.blue

Best, ,Mike

hi Mike, I'm very interested too, is it possible you could take some pics front on and back on, showing the alignment of the neck with the body (on the back) and fretboard, body and bridge (on the front) mate? Might show clearly that the issue you described isn't a real issue at all. Just a thought, it's a gorgeous looking instrument.

Closed this ad and reopened a new one with some better photos of areas that make this uke a Timms"second".

Thanks, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom