Memorial day tribute to my beloved Grandma..on her ukulele

MGM

Reaction score
On this memorial day I especially remember my Grandma Alice who had a heavy influence on my life and personality until she passes at age 76. She was the one who probably first showed me and played ukulele to me as an infant. Born into a very large family she was disowned by her parents when she was 13 years old..for marrying a sailor which at that time interracial marriages were a no no....and it lasted only a year. Upon leaving school at 6th grade she started working as the cleanup girl in a barbershop...which she eventually owned on Waikiki beachfront where the Hawaiian Regent Hotel stands now. She had a sparkling personality always smiling joking and laughing and was the most giving person i ever known...many times i would come home from school and find strangers to her..but my friends eating a bowl of saimen in my house. She would invite complete stangers in at any hour...Here is the first song i recall she always sang to me..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k9f-dJHuvA

Wow a cool Video Mike and nice playing...love dat song....do you remember the store on the corner where the Hawaiian Regent was...my mother had the same misfortune as your grandmother
did with her family, as she had my sister from a military guy...yes they were really strict in those days...they consdered it a black mark on the family and a disgrace for having kids out of wedlock.

Ho, Bruddah Mike!

Mahalo fo da video tribute to your kuku wahine (tutu)!!! I admire her Aloha Spirit and Kokua!!! Very touching story and great playing & singing, too! Cheehoo!

Extremely cool, Mike! The uke, the performance and the song.

I especially loved the opening line about the shoes. When I lived in Central America, I recall how one old fellow shook his head at his grandson and how he wanted "Michael Jordans" for his birthday - imported goods that represented a small fortune!

"I remember my first pair of shoes", he said. "I bought them for my wedding!"

Mahalo Mike. Great song, great ukulele and is sounds like a great woman.

Thanks for sharing

Love it, bruddah! Such a legacy your grandma passed on in that little uke & the great memories. I'm sure you are making her proud.

Mahalo!

Top Bottom