Ukulele Playing Tips

Kanaka916

Reaction score
I discovered this article several months ago and to my knowledge has never been referenced to. It makes for a good read and maybe improve or enhance your playing. The entire article can be found here. The tip about strumming is my favorite one and totally makes sense to me . . . too often, the same strum pattern is used throughout the song and after awhile it becomes boring.
"Vary your strokes!" . . . This line comes direct from our UkeTalk interview with Joel Eckhaus, a former student of string wizard Roy Smeck. When strumming your ukulele, you'll want to find as many ways as possible to make each song sound different. Here's a couple of my tricks, and we'll add more later: Each song has a certain rhythm that will make it sound right, and within that, you can add more strokes, subtract a few, and break up the rhythm in between verses with a little roll-strum (use more fingers on the stroke) or chord choking (slightly release your tension on your fretting hand and keeping strumming).
Hopefully this article can be of help to all, enjoy!

Remember your graded school teacher "Sit up straight!"
I always find this hard to do. At first motivation is high and alertness level is deep into the red, but after 10-15 minutes of heavily concentrated playing, I tend to look like the hunchback of the Notre Dame trying to glue a pilot arm of a miniature plastic jet fighter model to its body under bad lighting and without tweezers to make the job more easy...

The only difference, somewhere in that mess there will be an ukulele neck sticking out from underneath.

These are really good tips and I hope EVERYONE get's a chance to check this out

I guess im just blending in with what everyone else is saying

but thanks for the tips =D

Top Bottom