since we are talking set up.....

kalmario

Reaction score
are they set up, as they come out of the box? or only when sold? or twice (i.e. once out of the box and then again to the purchasers style?)

the reason i ask is that ill be in hawaii in november and i'm curious to know if what i play is what i'll get.

Cheers

Cliff

Brands like Kamaka, Koaloha will be ready to go. Brands under the $500 range will need some setup by the shop. After getting one uke without setup and another with setup, it's a step you shouldn't skip.

Depends on the uke and the shop. I will only buy from dealers who will adjust ANY price of uke to get it acceptable.

That said, even higher end ukes may need some adjustment as setup and action is a personal thing. I took my Kanile'a action down very slightly because I like it that way. That is no slur on Kanile'a as it was perfect for most people.

In summary - a good shop should only send out ukes that can at least be tuned and have acceptable action, but real fine tuning of setup is for the player!

the reason i ask is that ill be in hawaii in november and i'm curious to know if what i play is what i'll get.

You'll be in the perfect spot to find out. Play a bunch and pick THE one. You'll find even across the same maker, each uke is different. Hawaii is an awesome and unique opportunity to sample some of the best ukes around. Are you not planning to buy one there?

My shop, we try to setup the instruments as they come in. Sometimes it's tough, so we offer 2 Free Setups with every instrument, no experation on it. And if you want it setup before you go home we take care of that, so technically you can get 3 free setups at our shop :)

I'm working on getting ALL of our ukes setup. We just got another shipment of Kala Resonators in yesterday, and the Limited Edition Solid Top Kala 6 String, going to work on those first :)

Top Bottom