PDA

View Full Version : Weekly newbie challenge ?

The Big Kahuna
05-28-2012, 11:43 PM
First, my reasoning. I'll get to the plan eventually.

As you probably know (and in common with a lot of other folks on here) I've had a LONG layoff from guitar and have only just taken up the Uke. My problem is this, I just find myself noodling away and/or playing the same simple and tedious things over and over. What I could do with is something to make me practice, and practice something specific.

How about once a week, one of the experienced players picks a tune or a technique that should be challenging but achievable by most people who've been playing for only a few weeks (preferably something with both audio or video and the Tab) and ask them to practice and post a video (or audio if that's not possible).

The resultant vid'/audio would then be open to friendly and constructive criticism and tips from the experienced players on how to improve technique etc. You know, things such as "try holding it with the strings on the outside of the Uke" or "try using a Ukulele, what you have there is a saucepan"

If there's enough interest, perhaps try to ramp-up the difficulty each week, or extend it for a further week to give other players chance to catch up.

I just thought this might sit nicely alongside the other weekly challenges you have for the experienced players, and give us n00bs something to aim for.

Anyway, I'm off to change into my flame retardant underwear in anticipation of your responses ;)

Thanks for reading

Niq (<--- that's my name by the way, not an obscure English word for goodbye)

ukuleledaveey
05-28-2012, 11:51 PM
hi ya read your post with interest, you should come over and join the seasons comp, i enter not to win any of the prizes, but to get great friendly feedback and support, please dont worry about ability as we a re a mixed bunch over there and i am certainly near the lower end of the evolution stakes at uke playing we are on week 15 at the moment if you fancy it, please come on over new faces all ways welcomed :)

The Big Kahuna
05-28-2012, 11:55 PM
I can see how that would be something I'd like to have a bash at eventually. However, like many others, I will NEVER sing. EVER. And my concern was more to do with the technical aspects of playing, initially, rather than thinking about "selling" the song. And also to have someone experienced say "right, this should suit a bunch of chaps who've only just started".

I do appreciate the suggestion though. Who knows, if week 16 turns out to be Van Halen, I might give it a shot ;)

ukuleledaveey
05-29-2012, 12:13 AM
I can see how that would be something I'd like to have a bash at eventually. However, like many others, I will NEVER sing. EVER. And my concern was more to do with the technical aspects of playing, initially, rather than thinking about "selling" the song. And also to have someone experienced say "right, this should suit a bunch of chaps who've only just started".

I do appreciate the suggestion though. Who knows, if week 16 turns out to be Van Halen, I might give it a shot ;)

I muttered those words when i first started playing :) NEVER SING , EVER. And now i try lol thought iwould never do it, heck i even lead our uke club for 1 song last night, trying to teach them a new song, it was tough for me lol but did enjoy it.
Never say never :) anyway good luck with your thread , but you can do instrumentals as well in the seasons, and i certainly cant sell a song, im a double dipper uke player :)

The Big Kahuna
05-29-2012, 12:21 AM
Cheers for that pal. I'll consider it. I did take a quick look at week 15 and discovered that it was a beatles cover (I can't even bear to capitalise the band name). When people ask me "can you remember where you were when Lennon was shot?" my usual response is "chasing Yoko Ono down Central Park West, trying to reload"

My hatred for them knows no bounds, I didn't even like them in the 60's. Maybe I'll wait for The Beach Boys week :)

The Big Kahuna
05-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Or Rammstein.

His Sinfulness
05-29-2012, 12:29 AM
This is a great idea and I would be excited to participate in it, but it sounds like a lot of work for the experienced players. Videos and tabs take time to make, especially of the instructional variety. If someone did take on a weekly project like this, they would accrue major deposits in their positive karma account.

The Big Kahuna
05-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Unless they chose pieces where the tab and a representative video already existed.

His Sinfulness
05-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Unless they chose pieces where the tab and a representative video already existed.

Good point. Either way, I'd be up for trying it! :)

pootsie
05-29-2012, 02:11 AM
Hey Kahuna, as a certified noob and genuine pile of suck in my own right, might I risk this idea? Let's get a noob group self-challenge going.

Right now I am picking small goals and enjoying the experience of failing even to reach those modest marks. I would be happy to share my failure with others. Instead of "here's how you do it," we could each take a turn with "here's what I'd like to do." Then share the catastrophe! An idea worth exploring?

Right now I'm working on the goal of figuring out what this twangy thing on my lap is.

chris

Freeda
05-29-2012, 02:13 AM
U
Hey Kahuna, as a certified noob and genuine pile of suck in my own right, might I risk this idea? Let's get a noob group self-challenge going.

Right now I am picking small goals and enjoying the experience of failing even to reach those modest marks. I would be happy to share my failure with others. Instead of "here's how you do it," we could each take a turn with "here's what I'd like to do." Then share the catastrophe! An idea worth exploring?

Right now I'm working on the goal of figuring out what this twangy thing on my lap is.

chris

I would be up for that. I am just hitting my 3 month mark of playing.

pootsie
05-29-2012, 02:16 AM
I will hit 3 mos the day after UWC!

It's like we're twins (and I'm the ugly one)!

The Big Kahuna
05-29-2012, 03:51 AM
That sounds like a plan to me. Now, we just need a few more n00bs like us, and we're set. There must be some around here somewhere...hmm, where did I put those n00bs ?

Freeda
05-29-2012, 04:21 AM
I hope I'm envisioning this the same way you are. Like for Noob Week 1, someone would lead the topic. Like I'd play a little tune to demonstrate my current skill level and then state something I am struggling with. Then respondents could give suggestions or video responses to help, and in helping me they would be helping anyone who is struggling with the same issue?

That could be so fun, and not be so reliant on the more experienced players to nurse us along.

pootsie
05-29-2012, 04:33 AM
I hope I'm envisioning this the same way you are. Like for Noob Week 1, someone would lead the topic. Like I'd play a little tune to demonstrate my current skill level and then state something I am struggling with. Then respondents could give suggestions or video responses to help, and in helping me they would be helping anyone who is struggling with the same issue?

That could be so fun, and not be so reliant on the more experienced players to nurse us along.

That is pretty much what I was thinking. I am sure that the more seasoned players will chime in to help with observations and hints and even general encouragement.
But this way they don't carry the burden of initiating the session and all that.

I would love to participate in something like this as I think it would help all concerned.

ukuraleigh
05-29-2012, 05:14 AM
I'm not sure where my skill level would fit in this, but it sounds like fun! I've been playing on and off for 2 years, but aside from knowing a few songs, and some light fingerpicking, I could use something that will help me make progress.

fretie
05-29-2012, 06:03 AM
I think this is a great idea....having a NOOB challenge of the week. The original idea of experienced players guiding this was a good one too but I can see that experienced players may find such a challenge rather onerous and perhaps would prefer to only put in the time and effort if they were to be reimbursed for it and/or if it was a way to draw attention to their other services as a online teacher or a pro seeking gigs, for example.

So, yes, why don't we guide this project ourselves then and if more experienced players do arrive now and then offer some input that'd be a bonus for us!

I have played for about six months now. I write out a list of weekly goals to help focus my practice and I enjoy playing daily and find it easy to pick up the uke for a strum during any free time I might have during the day. But having a challenge that helps connect me with other beginners in the uke community would be an additional great motivator. I'd be nervously interested in sharing with others and taking a chance to put my barely developed uke skills on the line for some feedback.

His Sinfulness
05-29-2012, 06:12 AM
This sounds great. I've been playing since November of 2011, so I'm firmly in the n00b category (I laughed out loud when I saw that my title had changed to "senior member" the other day!). Another possibility is that we could agree upon an easy song with widely available tabs and take that as our weekly challenge. That might help to focus the week a bit more...

BlueLatitude
05-29-2012, 06:12 AM
I think this is a great idea although I have no audio or video capabilites. Yes, I am a Luddite. :(

The Big Kahuna
05-29-2012, 06:28 AM
I think this is a great idea although I have no audio or video capabilites. Yes, I am a Luddite. :(

I'm sorry to hear you're deaf and blind. Although I imagine your enhanced sense of touch will help you identify what brand of strings you're currently using.

The Big Kahuna
05-29-2012, 06:30 AM
Another possibility is that we could agree upon an easy song with widely available tabs and take that as our weekly challenge. That might help to focus the week a bit more...

That sounds like a nice compromise between my original post and the more sensible refinement offered by those posting after. Should we create a "n00b" group and start recruiting ?

mikelz777
05-29-2012, 06:36 AM
I'm a luddite as well with no video or audio capabilities. I seem to remember getting some kind of microphone on a stem and stand with my computer but it was one of those things I asked, "What is this for?" and tossed it aside. (maybe online phone service?) Is that something that could be used for recording that I could make sound samples?

In any event, I like the idea and would probably be a user even if I couldn't contribute audio/video. I think it's motivating to be able to measure yourself against others whether good or bad.

Freeda
05-29-2012, 06:40 AM
I'm a luddite as well with no video or audio capabilities. I seem to remember getting some kind of microphone on a stem and stand with my computer but it was one of those things I asked, "What is this for?" and tossed it aside. (maybe online phone service?) Is that something that could be used for recording that I could make sound samples?

In any event, I like the idea and would probably be a user even if I couldn't contribute audio/video. I think it's motivating to be able to measure yourself against others whether good or bad.

I got a webcam for about 15 bucks at kmart and a microphone with a usb plug for around 20 on amazon. Just sayin. :) It's not as intimidating to hook up as you may think.

pootsie
05-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Is that something that could be used for recording that I could make sound samples?

Not very good ones, but it will do the job.

There is a good free audio program called audacity, google will find it for you. Super easy to use.
Also Krystal is good for non-professional audio mixing.

Sad thing is my laptop doesn't have the muscle to multi-track and my ancient four track cassette (talk about luddite!) is no longer working.

mikelz777
05-29-2012, 06:48 AM
I got a webcam for about 15 bucks at kmart and a microphone with a usb plug for around 20 on amazon. Just sayin. :) It's not as intimidating to hook up as you may think.

Inflicting my sound or image on the internet will take some thought and consideration but it's nice to know that it's not too unreasonable to do so. :)

mikelz777
05-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Not very good ones, but it will do the job.

There is a good free audio program called audacity, google will find it for you. Super easy to use.
Also Krystal is good for non-professional audio mixing.

Sad thing is my laptop doesn't have the muscle to multi-track and my ancient four track cassette (talk about luddite!) is no longer working.

I suspected that if I were able to use it to make sound samples that the quality probably wouldn't be very good. I'd probably need all the help I could get! :) Thanks for the tips. (As far as being luddite, we still record things on VHS in our household!!) :D :D

The Big Kahuna
05-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Even a "good" expensive webcam will give you average quality and only 15 fps (frames per second) recording. The generally accepted minimum before jerkiness is apparent is 25fps. Unless you know you'll want a webcam for video conferencing/skype etc, I'd steer well clear and go for something like the Kodak Playtouch which both myself and ukuleledaveey bought recently in the UK for the equivalent of $75 (which is cheaper than a top quality webcam), and which you can read about in THIS (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?65574-What-webcam-do-you-use&highlight=kodak) thread. It'll give you true 1080 or 720p video at up to 60fps and the ability to use a better quality external mic should you need to. It records to SDHC cards, which are cheap.

If you did buy one, both myself and Davey could guide you on how to use it if you were having problems, and I can help you with optimising the clips for Youtube (Davey probably can as well, but I can't speak for him personally). I've tested mine by recording myself playing, with it sat on a tabletop tripod in front of me, and it really is excellent. The only slight issue is background noise from my heavily overclocked PC and graphics card, but that's easily sorted by using it in a different room or with a better microphone.

The Big Kahuna
05-29-2012, 06:57 AM
In fact, HERE (http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-PlayTouch-Video-Camera-Black/dp/B003VTZE4Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338310440&sr=8-1) is the very camera on the US Amazon site. All you'd need is a reasonably fast 8gb SDHC card to start, which would give you 2 hours recording at 720p/30 and 1 hour at 720/60 or 1080/30.

Then you'd need a tripod and maybe the remote, but you can just use the button on the back the cut out the bit where you walk back to your chair :)

The advantage with this is, you get a damn good pocket camcorder (with image stabilisation as well!) which you can also use away from home to record sports/concerts/etc. You can't do THAT with a webcam!

Freeda
05-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Even a "good" expensive webcam will give you average quality and only 15 fps (frames per second) recording. The generally accepted minimum before jerkiness is apparent is 25fps. Unless you know you'll want a webcam for video conferencing/skype etc, I'd steer well clear and go for something like the Kodak Playtouch which both myself and ukuleledaveey bought recently in the UK for the equivalent of $75 (which is cheaper than a top quality webcam), and which you can read about in THIS (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?65574-What-webcam-do-you-use&highlight=kodak) thread. It'll give you true 1080 or 720p video at up to 60fps and the ability to use a better quality external mic should you need to. It records to SDHC cards, which are cheap.

If you did buy one, both myself and Davey could guide you on how to use it if you were having problems, and I can help you with optimising the clips for Youtube (Davey probably can as well, but I can't speak for him personally). I've tested mine by recording myself playing, with it sat on a tabletop tripod in front of me, and it really is excellent. The only slight issue is background noise from my heavily overclocked PC and graphics card, but that's easily sorted by using it in a different room or with a better microphone.

Talk about Luddite. That made my eyes cross. It's like not even english. :P

The Big Kahuna
05-29-2012, 07:18 AM
I'm an IT and CCTV consultant. I've been trained by experts over the last 25 years to melt brains from 50 paces. I reckon I could take Darth Vader in a fight.

BlueLatitude
05-29-2012, 07:32 AM
All you'd need is a reasonably fast 8gb SDHC card to start, which would give you 2 hours recording at 720p/30 and 1 hour at 720/60 or 1080/30.

Then you'd need a tripod...

That's too many numbers! Ack! Actually, I do have a friend who has this thing you call "camcorder". I bet I could get it from him. He also has many microphones, probably couldn't get those.

I do have a tripod. :D

Freeda
05-29-2012, 07:36 AM
I do have a tripod. :D
You have a three legged dog?

The Big Kahuna
05-29-2012, 07:37 AM
I do have a friend who has this thing you call "camcorder"

Betamax doesn't count...

BlueLatitude
05-29-2012, 07:54 AM
LOL, it's new. It's fancy. He used it once.

The Big Kahuna
05-29-2012, 08:04 AM
http://sharetv.org/images/guide/201839.jpg

fretie
05-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Easy Peasy if you happen to have a macbook. I have an older macbook, no bells and whistles really, just a little workhorse (pony?) laptop. Open iMovie, click on 'capture' and record. I did a test run just now and it looked and sounded pretty good. So, if you've got access to a macbook give iMovie a try.

philrab66
05-29-2012, 11:19 AM
That sounds like a plan to me. Now, we just need a few more n00bs like us, and we're set. There must be some around here somewhere...hmm, where did I put those n00bs ?

Count me in.

ukuleledaveey
05-29-2012, 12:35 PM

Many thanks for the kudos Kahuna :) im no IT whizz, im a techno phobe who does like the odd gadget or to, until they turn and revolt on me, remember that young ones clip when neil says "even the washing machine hates me" lol
But seriously i would be interested in knowing how to optimise clips for youtube, a clip i did last week seemed to skip and jump a bit visually,but the sound was fine.
Have to say though i do love the play touch :) and sorry to hijack your thread :) a great thread by the way, ive only been playing since last jan (2011). will keep my eye on your thread and pop in now and again, im no uke expert or James Hill, in fact im more jimmy hill or benny hill :)
Good luck guys and gals

Loz
05-29-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm in if this materializes - nice idea

His Sinfulness
05-29-2012, 07:37 PM
This all sounds great! Does anyone have a song that they'd like to recommend? Something with 3-5 chords, easy to play (and sing, if you are so inclined). Perhaps we should look through the UU songs and choose one of those.

The Big Kahuna
05-29-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm happy for anyone to get the ball rolling. As my original post mentioned, I'm having problems settling on one thing to practice, so someone else will have to pick. I'd originally thought we might have a bash at something a bit more "technical", as I'm guessing we can all strum simple tunes, and it would be interesting to see the different ways people tackle certain techniques. Also, if a few of us have problems with different sections/chord changes/picking patterns etc, we can swap notes (no pun intended)and perhaps "make one good one out of 3 broken ones" as it were.

Firstly, I propose we create and join a Group, that way we'll know who's who.

So, what shall we call our merry band ?

His Sinfulness
05-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Off the top of my head:

"UU Newbies" (too obvious?)
"00ken00bz" (sounds very "netspeak" to me)
"UU Dinky Dos" (had to get a George Formby reference in there)

mikelz777
05-30-2012, 02:14 AM
nUUbies ??

pootsie
05-30-2012, 02:48 AM
nUUbies ??

Win! . . .

The Big Kahuna
05-30-2012, 05:31 AM
Gets my vote!

glass
05-30-2012, 06:24 AM

Thats my problem with the seasons comp I dont sing well at all but I would totally agree and try to get better with a thing like this grest idea!

fretie
05-30-2012, 06:39 AM
nUUbies ??

That's it!

The Big Kahuna
05-30-2012, 07:03 AM
The group nUUbies! is now open for membership!

gyosh
05-30-2012, 07:11 AM
The group nUUbies! is now open for membership!

Can we start with a Beatles song or something from Formby? :nana:

. . . I crack myself up!!

The Big Kahuna
05-30-2012, 07:38 AM
. . . I crack myself up!!

Saves me coming over there and doing it for you...

His Sinfulness
05-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Joined.

How about Obladi Oblada? Everyone probably knows how it goes, and this version (http://www.scorpexuke.com/songs/ObLaDi__ObLaDa.pdf.php)has 6 pretty easy chords...

aleksxoxo
05-30-2012, 09:17 AM
I'd love to join! I've been playing for 2 weeks now.

How exactly does one join? (not only a uke noob but a UU noob as well :P)

gyosh
05-30-2012, 09:24 AM

Welcome aleksxoxo! Hope you enjoy!!

The Big Kahuna
05-30-2012, 09:26 AM

Hi there. I've just tried to send you an invite but I get the message that you're not allowed to join groups. I'm guessing it's an anti spambot security measure. Just keep browsing, asking questions and commenting on my inane jokes and your post count will soon be high enough to join. Regardless of your group status, you're still more than welcome to participate.

pootsie
05-30-2012, 09:27 AM

Welcome!

Click here:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=239

aleksxoxo
05-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Hi there. I've just tried to send you an invite but I get the message that you're not allowed to join groups. I'm guessing it's an anti spambot security measure. Just keep browsing, asking questions and commenting on my inane jokes and your post count will soon be high enough to join. Regardless of your group status, you're still more than welcome to participate.

haha thanks! :)

Yeah, I probably am not allowed to join yet considering this is my 2nd post on UU xD

pootsie
05-30-2012, 09:29 AM

Oh, yeah, I think you need ten posts. Just to make sure that you are human. It's like our forum's Turing test only simpler

The Big Kahuna
05-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Joined.

How about Obladi Oblada? Everyone probably knows how it goes, and this version (http://www.scorpexuke.com/songs/ObLaDi__ObLaDa.pdf.php)has 6 pretty easy chords...

I'll go along with the general consensus. My only comment with regard to that particular song is that it's just a simple chord progression and not too taxing. Then again, I could be talking out of my arse. As I said, I'm happy to go with the majority :)

gyosh
05-30-2012, 09:30 AM

Yeah, I probably am not allowed to join yet considering this is my 2nd post on UU xD

Follow pootsie's link and then click on tools. in the drop down there will be a "join" link. Just click on that.

gyosh
05-30-2012, 09:43 AM

Well, let's get you ten posts then!!

What kind of uke do you have? What brought you to the uke?

aleksxoxo
05-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Well, let's get you ten posts then!!

What kind of uke do you have? What brought you to the uke?

I have a Les Paul Acoustic/Electric Concert Ukulele. What sparked my interest was seeing this young musician on Youtube play a cover of First Day of My Life - Bright Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op9xUDq2QIw

I was blown away by the sweet sound of the uke and got obsessed with looking up more covers using the uke. My boyfriend took notice of my sudden uke craze and bought me one as an advanced birthday present <3

gyosh
05-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I have a Les Paul Acoustic/Electric Concert Ukulele. What sparked my interest was seeing this young musician on Youtube play a cover of First Day of My Life - Bright Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op9xUDq2QIw

I was blown away by the sweet sound of the uke and got obsessed with looking up more covers using the uke. My boyfriend took notice of my sudden uke craze and bought me one as an advanced birthday present <3

Very thoughtful boyfriend. Beware of UAS (ukulele acquisition syndrome), it hits hard and fast.

aleksxoxo
05-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Very thoughtful boyfriend. Beware of UAS (ukulele acquisition syndrome), it hits hard and fast.

Well that warning has come a little too late, I've been hit and ohhh is it bad!

Since I'm on Summer Break I've been playing 2+ hours every day! :P

The Big Kahuna
05-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Where in NY are you ? I just got back from a holiday there 2 weeks ago and bought my first 2 Ukes while I was there.

gyosh
05-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Well that warning has come a little too late, I've been hit and ohhh is it bad!

Since I'm on Summer Break I've been playing 2+ hours every day! :P

My break starts in 7 more school days.

aleksxoxo
05-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Where in NY are you ? I just got back from a holiday there 2 weeks ago and bought my first 2 Ukes while I was there.
Well I was in Chelsea; I left back home for the summer (Puerto Rico :) ) Where'd you buy yours? My boyfriend got mine at Sam Ash near Times Square.

My break starts in 7 more school days.
You're soo close! What year are you in? (I say year because I don't know if you're in high school or college or what :P)

scratch that, just saw that you're a teacher :p!

The Big Kahuna
05-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Well I was in Chelsea; I left back home for the summer (Puerto Rico :) ) Where'd you buy yours? My boyfriend got mine at Sam Ash near Times Square.

I bought the Fender at Ludlow Guitars, just down the street from Katz's Deli, and a little Luna "Honu" Soprano from the same Sam Ash store as yours. Sorry I brought the nice weather back home with me ;)

aleksxoxo
05-30-2012, 11:21 AM
I bought the Fender at Ludlow Guitars, just down the street from Katz's Deli, and a little Luna "Honu" Soprano from the same Sam Ash store as yours. Sorry I brought the nice weather back home with me ;)

Oh I saw the Luna! It was a nice one :)

As for the weather, that's fine! I came to nicer weather in the Caribbean ;)

gyosh
05-30-2012, 11:24 AM

You're soo close! What year are you in? (I say year because I don't know if you're in high school or college or what :P)

scratch that, just saw that you're a teacher :p!

:biglaugh: I'm guessing you're in college if you went back home. I'm in my 15th year of high school (I guess that makes 19 total :) ) With a few years of college too (undergrad, teaching credential, grad school). What are you majoring in? Have you decided yet?

aleksxoxo
05-30-2012, 11:27 AM
:biglaugh: I'm guessing you're in college if you went back home. I'm in my 15th year of high school (I guess that makes 19 total :) ) With a few years of college too (undergrad, teaching credential, grad school). What are you majoring in? Have you decided yet?

hhahahah :biglaugh:

I'm majoring in Jewelry Design right now, specializing in bench work (to be a jeweler). Once I finish, I'm planning on studying Web Design.

barefootgypsy
05-30-2012, 11:36 AM
I got a webcam for about 15 bucks at kmart and a microphone with a usb plug for around 20 on amazon. Just sayin. :) It's not as intimidating to hook up as you may think. Is that really all it takes? Wow I thought it was all much more techy than that! Food for thought.....thanks for that Freeda! I might put that stuff on my list.....:D

gyosh
05-30-2012, 12:04 PM
hhahahah :biglaugh:

I'm majoring in Jewelry Design right now, specializing in bench work (to be a jeweler). Once I finish, I'm planning on studying Web Design.

Yeah. You're past ten posts now. Go join!!!

aleksxoxo
05-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Yeah. You're past ten posts now. Go join!!!

Aw man, it seems I need more than ten. I think it might be more like 25 posts, like another forum site I used to post in. :/

gyosh
05-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Aw man, it seems I need more than ten. I think it might be more like 25 posts, like another forum site I used to post in. :/

Here's a link to the PoHo thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?59744-Leader-Board-Ahnko-Honu-Takes-The-Lead-Chapter-10!/page3027). It's like a chatroom almost. Introduce yourself, strike up a conversation and you'll have a zillion posts in no time.

aleksxoxo
05-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Here's a link to the PoHo thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?59744-Leader-Board-Ahnko-Honu-Takes-The-Lead-Chapter-10!/page3027). It's like a chatroom almost. Introduce yourself, strike up a conversation and you'll have a zillion posts in no time.

Sweet! Thanks :D

carolani
05-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi. I'm a n00b. Been playing on and off for a year or so. Much like the OP I have found it hard to improve and to choose practice material that will help me improve. I'll have to amp up the confidence a bit to post a video. Not to mention that I'm clueless on how to post a video. Do you have to have a YT account?

Just joined the group.

aleksxoxo
05-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Hi. I'm a n00b. Been playing on and off for a year or so. Much like the OP I have found it hard to improve and to choose practice material that will help me improve. I'll have to amp up the confidence a bit to post a video. Not to mention that I'm clueless on how to post a video. Do you have to have a YT account?

Just joined the group.
I'd say a YT account would be the simplest and most common option :)

RuckMonkey
05-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Noob checking in and asking for his to become reality! I started in December and got really serious about playing around February. :)

franklin.habit
05-30-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm new and I'm definitely interested, too. I'm not ready for the UU competitions yet, but I'd relish regular challenges a bit less steep.

Eyeguy
05-30-2012, 04:50 PM
I like the idea. Very ambitious but certainly doable. Maybe start with a technique of the week, and then follow the next week by incorporating said technique into a song. Even better would be two versions, one absolute beginner and the other for those with at least knowledge of basic chords and strums, but alas, now I'm getting too complicated. I'll keep an eye out to see what transpires.

barefootgypsy
05-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Noob checking in and asking for his to become reality! I started in December and got really serious about playing around February. :) I've had my uke for a few years but have only been playing it regularly since Christmas... I still class myself as a beginner because some of the chord changes are really hard and I'm short on technique..... can I join? Don't have the video tech yet though..... and that has to be something CHEAP and SIMPLE!

barefootgypsy
05-30-2012, 11:08 PM
I'm in. What a great idea and a great thread! Thanks Kahuna! Don't know when I'll be able to post a video, but I'm up for the challenge, and will vid when I can - all I can say!

luluwrites
05-30-2012, 11:55 PM
I joined.
I've been playing since mid-January and having a ball, but I have a lot to learn and am determined to get better. I don't know how often I'll be able to post videos (time to record representing only a small fraction of the time it takes to work up courage to record), but I'm looking forward to this and to contributing what I can.

His Sinfulness
05-31-2012, 07:53 AM
The timing seems right for us to choose the first challenge and then have it start it on Sunday, perhaps?

amandadverse
05-31-2012, 08:07 AM
I love the idea of this! :D

And this thread cracked me up. Its always a big relief when joining a new forum to find that at least a few people are capable of making you laugh like a loon with a simple sentence.

Bow to get to 25 posts so I can join!

Booksniffer
05-31-2012, 12:35 PM
What a wonderful idea!

I did notice also that I don't practice nearly so much in a useful way when I don't have some kind of deadline.
For now, the weekly lesson is still a very useful deadline - they are very challenging! And I'm picking my own songs to practice for class now, which is great.

I think I'll read along here for the time being; still have six more lessons or so to go.
After that, I will try and join in!
I don't have any kind of recording equipment yet though; sound recording is do-able probably (I know someone who loves doing that), hopefully that will be enough for a while?

gouacats
05-31-2012, 06:08 PM
I guess I don't have enough posts to join yet. Been playing for about 1 month now.

rocko
05-31-2012, 07:30 PM
I've joined! Look forward to participating.

His Sinfulness
05-31-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm really looking forward to this! We have a lot of enthusiastic folks on board, so let's try to build a consensus about what we want for the first challenge. Do we want to do 1) a simple song, or 2) choose a particular technique (a strumming pattern, chunking, etc.), or maybe 3) a set of chord changes (like Uncle Rod's Ukulele Bootcamp)?

Maybe the best way to approach it is to ask yourself what you think you need to work on first/most?

Personally, I vote for a song. I tend to just noodle around and play 8-10 measures of something and then switch to something else - I think I need to learn to finish what I start... ;)

The Big Kahuna
05-31-2012, 10:29 PM
As I said, I'm happy to follow. One thing to (possibly) bear in mind is that not everyone has a full bag of clubs. Some have a Pitching Wedge, some have a Driver. I can play Claire de Lune on my Tenor, but I'm damned if I can play it on my Soprano. So, that might have an influence on what we choose. Then again, it might not...I don't have the experience to make a definitive statement on the subject.

His Sinfulness
05-31-2012, 10:48 PM
As I said, I'm happy to follow. One thing to (possibly) bear in mind is that not everyone has a full bag of clubs. Some have a Pitching Wedge, some have a Driver. I can play Claire de Lune on my Tenor, but I'm damned if I can play it on my Soprano. So, that might have an influence on what we choose. Then again, it might not...I don't have the experience to make a definitive statement on the subject.

:agree: Good point. Let's see what everyone wants/needs and see if that points us in a direction.

The Big Kahuna
06-01-2012, 01:42 AM
One thing to (possibly) bear in mind is that not everyone has a full bag of clubs.

I've just realised that this could be construed to mean "very slightly mental". In future, when wishing to describe someone in such a way, I shall restrict myself to using the phrase "their cheese has slipped off the cracker".

Or, we could just refer to them in the usual way..."Ukuleledaveey"

luluwrites
06-01-2012, 02:21 AM
I agree that a song might be the most useful way to go -- and we can add to it a "mission" for that song. For example: we might choose "All of Me" (random selection, not a suggestion) and say that the mission is to use three different strum patterns in our performance or to add a short finger picking section as an intro, break, or finish. Such a "mission" would let each person adjust to his or her own challenge level.

In the beginning, it seems to me that we might want to choose very simple songs with limited chord changes but a mission that allows for a great deal of variation depending upon strengths and skill level.

luluwrites
06-01-2012, 03:21 AM
It might also be useful for members to post links to online tutorials related to that particular mission, so we could "study" from shared texts.

mikelz777
06-01-2012, 06:29 AM
We seem to be kind of spinning our wheels so I'm just going to throw something out there. How about "Crazy Arms" by Ray Price? Here's a link to a version I found that has four easy chords. (C, C7, F and G7) [Note that the word "Someday" in the 3rd line of the 2nd verse should have a "C" over it. They missed the chord.]

http://www.classic-country-song-lyrics.com/crazyarmslyricschords.html

If you don't know the song, here's a link so you can give it a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuOvllD8Baw

It's country, it's old school, it sounds good on a uke and it's in a friendly key but it may not be for everyone. My feelings wouldn't be hurt at all if the group doesn't want to go for it but I just thought I'd throw this song out there.

luluwrites
06-01-2012, 06:56 AM
I'm game.

Whether or not I actually record depends upon a manuscript deadline I'm waiting to hear about, but I'm ready to take on this song as our first challenge. Anyone else?

philrab66
06-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Sounds good to me.

Freeda
06-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Ditto that!

His Sinfulness
06-01-2012, 07:47 AM
I haven't listened to it yet but I'm game. :)

EDIT: I just listened to it.
In the interest of becoming a better player I'm willing to learn it if everyone else agrees, but it's going to be hard to explain to my fiancee and friends (after spending many years living in isolated rural parts of the US, my dislike of Country music is quite well developed...).

carolani
06-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Not to put a damper on things but I'm not a fan of old school country. I'll try it though if everyone else is in.

Thanks for suggesting something. :D

luluwrites
06-01-2012, 08:19 AM
I haven't listened to it yet but I'm game. :)

EDIT: I just listened to it.
In the interest of becoming a better player I'm willing to learn it if everyone else agrees, but it's going to be hard to explain to my fiancee and friends (after spending many years living in isolated rural parts of the US, my dislike of Country music is quite well developed...).

Change the rhythm and make it "folk" or even punk. It's your song, baby!

The Big Kahuna
06-01-2012, 08:55 AM
If anyone has figured something new out: maybe a tip, or an easier way to transition between two chords, perhaps, feel free to let us know, or post a video if you're up for it. Or if you have ANY kind of question regarding a technique or whatever. It doesn't just have to be about practising whole songs. This is a group for newbies, after all. :)

ukuleledaveey
06-01-2012, 09:25 AM
I've just realised that this could be construed to mean "very slightly mental". In future, when wishing to describe someone in such a way, I shall restrict myself to using the phrase "their cheese has slipped off the cracker".

Or, we could just refer to them in the usual way..."Ukuleledaveey"

?????? hey what are you saying about me ?, i get it now :) it's all groovy :)

Freeda
06-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Haha!

Okay someone give me the link to join the group? I am group-stupid.

mikelz777
06-01-2012, 09:37 AM
If we're talking about "Crazy Arms", the chords and changes seem pretty simple. (but I probably shouldn't speak for everyone) With this song, it's probably more about how you approach it and what you do with it. This song is most associated with Ray Price who was a honky tonker and was known for his "Ray Price shuffle", honky tonk music with a walking bassline. Would you play it with or without a chunk? What kind of strum pattern would you use? Would you try and change it up and make it something else? What beats should you or would you emphasize? etc.

luluwrites
06-01-2012, 11:09 AM
If we're talking about "Crazy Arms", the chords and changes seem pretty simple. (but I probably shouldn't speak for everyone) With this song, it's probably more about how you approach it and what you do with it. This song is most associated with Ray Price who was a honky tonker and was known for his "Ray Price shuffle", honky tonk music with a walking bassline. Would you play it with or without a chunk? What kind of strum pattern would you use? Would you try and change it up and make it something else? What beats should you or would you emphasize? etc.

Interesting things to think about. I come to the song by way of Patsy Cline which has shaped my approach (though I don't have vocab to describe what makes that different just yet) -- but really, since my larger goal is to get comfortable with finger style, I spent part of my practice time working out a basic fingerpicking roll through the chords -- one I found in an Aaron Keim tutorial on line. If anyone wants to know what that is, I'll find a link. If, as a group, we agree that we're supposed to be applying a particular method or style, I'll try to adapt.

mikelz777
06-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Haha!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=239

Go to "group tools" on the right side of the red "nUUbies" bar.

luluwrites
06-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Haha!

Here you go, toots! http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...hp?groupid=239

mikelz777
06-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Here you go, toots! http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...hp?groupid=239

Beat ya to it! We both posted at 4:12.

RuckMonkey
06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Hey, can I join? I'd like to and I'm definitely a noob. Thanks!

mikelz777
06-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Are people going to post stuff here or on the group site?

His Sinfulness
06-01-2012, 04:07 PM
I have now slept on it and listened to versions by Ray Price, Patsy Cline, Jerry Lee Lewis, Patty Loveless, BR5-49, and... Hugh Laurie. After all that, I think I hate it. If Dr. House can't make me like it, nothing can. I'll stay tuned, but if this is the song of choice I'll sit this one out.

pootsie
06-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Are people going to post stuff here or on the group site?

I suggest this:
A new thread for each week, with a running list of links in one handy place in the group page. That way each has a thread for full discussion (and enough room for Kahuna to giggle at himself) but we have a central location for info. The webbertubes are good for that kind of multiple organization.

KimUke
06-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Hi, I'm in. :)

rocko
06-01-2012, 08:23 PM
I have now slept on it and listened to versions by Ray Price, Patsy Cline, Jerry Lee Lewis, Patty Loveless, BR5-49, and... Hugh Laurie. After all that, I think I hate it. If Dr. House can't make me like it, nothing can. I'll stay tuned, but if this is the song of choice I'll sit this one out.

I had the same reaction to this song... I'll wait for next week.

His Sinfulness
06-02-2012, 03:58 AM
Rocko, Carolani, and any others who are not fans of old Country - do any of you have another suggestion? Let's throw some other contenders in the ring.

My idea for this first week was that it be a catchy/well known song with tabs and audio/video easily available on the net, with no more than maybe 4 to 6 chords.

Here is a quick list of possibles:

Bad, Bad Leroy Brown - Jim Croche
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Don't Worry, Be Happy - Bobby McPherrin
Fields of Gold - Sting
Hard Day's Night - Beatles
I'm a Believer - Monkees
King of the Road - Roger Miller
Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
Song Sung Blue - Neil Diamond

What do you think?

philrab66
06-02-2012, 04:02 AM

Thats not the point of the exercise to like the song. You can not have a song everybody likes, make it your own like somebody else said. Then you will get a chance to pick one you like.

His Sinfulness
06-02-2012, 04:57 AM
I'm sorry, but some songs just don't appeal to me enough to practice them. When I was paid to play music, I played whatever was put on the stand in front of me, but that's not the case now. I spent a couple hours on this song, including trying it myself with several different strumming patterns - I'm done with it. I have offered some other options if people are interested but like I said above, if this is the song the majority wants, I'll just sit this one out, and hope for a tune I like better next time.

mikelz777
06-02-2012, 05:05 AM
Thats not the point of the exercise to like the song. You can not have a song everybody likes, make it your own like somebody else said. Then you will get a chance to pick one you like.

I'd agree. Even if you don't like the song it would be a testament to your current skill or improvement to demonstrate to the group a different approach, an embellishment, a neat intro/outro, etc. Everyone here is in it for themselves to grow and improve but it would be nice for group memebers to help out others in the group if they have something they can contribute.

My offering of "Crazy Arms" was by random happenstance. I was balancing my checkbook on the computer, went to Pandora.com and created a Gram Parsons radio station so I could listen to some music to break the silence and tedium. As I sat and listened I probably jotted down the titles to 4 or 5 songs I wanted to learn on the uke. After I started thinking about it, I personally could probably spend weeks just playing country songs. (I love traditional country! Give me twang, give me a fiddle, give me a steel pedal guitar, give me a beer!!) The nUUbies thread came to mind and since it didn't seem to be going anywhere, I just threw out a song to try and get something going.

His Sinfulness
06-02-2012, 05:17 AM
I'd agree. Even if you don't like the song it would be a testament to your current skill or improvement to demonstrate to the group a different approach, an embellishment, a neat intro/outro, etc. Everyone here is in it for themselves to grow and improve but it would be nice for group memebers to help out others in the group if they have something they can contribute.

Like I said, I tried a few things with it, but I just don't like the material enough to "make it my own." I grew up in North Carolina; my aversion to this style is quite visceral. As you said, it might not be for everyone.

luluwrites
06-02-2012, 05:54 AM
Like I said, I tried a few things with it, but I just don't like the material enough to "make it my own." I grew up in North Carolina; my aversion to this style is quite visceral. As you said, it might not be for everyone.

Nobody wants you struck with damaging cornbread flashbacks, HS. :) (no insult implied to our NC residents, by the way. I like this music . . . and cornbread.)
Choose another song, by all means! The point is for us to learn and to share what we're learning.

His Sinfulness
06-02-2012, 06:21 AM
I love cornbread, but I do get a bit twitchy when anyone mentions Hee Haw or The Grand Ole Opry... ;)

luluwrites
06-02-2012, 06:28 AM
I love cornbread, but I do get a bit twitchy when anyone mentions Hee Haw or The Grand Ole Opry... ;)
Saaaaaaaaaaaaaa-lute!

KimUke
06-02-2012, 06:50 AM
The song I've Been Working On The Railroad can really be manipulated with different strumming and picking patterns...and most know it....Just a thought....

His Sinfulness
06-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Saaaaaaaaaaaaaa-lute!

(Shudder) ugh.... I will see Junior Samples in my dreams tonight... (twitch)

;)

His Sinfulness
06-02-2012, 06:54 AM
The song I've Been Working On The Railroad can really be manipulated with different strumming and picking patterns...and most know it....Just a thought....

This would work for me. Perhaps we just need to take a vote...?

mikelz777
06-02-2012, 07:12 AM
You naysayers are stomping on some wonderful tradition and some of my most beloved music:

Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, George Jones, Bill Monroe, Flatt & Skruggs, Carl Smith, Hank Thompson, Hank Williams, The Louvin Brothers, Lefty Frizzell, Ray Price, The Stanley Brothers, The Delmore Brothers, Webb Pierce, Loretta Lynn, Buck Owens, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Marty Robbins, Jim Reeves, Eddie Arnold, Merle Haggard, etc. etc.

carolani
06-02-2012, 02:09 PM
All I know how to do is strum chords. People are saying that if you don't like a song, make it your own. I would like to learn how to make something my own. I'm willing to try on any song. I just don't know where to begin.

His Sinfulness
06-02-2012, 03:55 PM
You naysayers are stomping on some wonderful tradition and some of my most beloved music:

Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, George Jones, Bill Monroe, Flatt & Skruggs, Carl Smith, Hank Thompson, Hank Williams, The Louvin Brothers, Lefty Frizzell, Ray Price, The Stanley Brothers, The Delmore Brothers, Webb Pierce, Loretta Lynn, Buck Owens, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Marty Robbins, Jim Reeves, Eddie Arnold, Merle Haggard, etc. etc.

I'm not stomping on anything - I just don't care for it. There are some country songs I'm ok with; I put songs by Johnny Cash and Roger Miller in my list above, and "Crazy" by Willie Nelson is one of my favorite warm-ups.

I am perfectly happy to take a vote, and if that song wins, I'll just wait for material I am more interested in.

His Sinfulness
06-02-2012, 04:17 PM
All I know how to do is strum chords. People are saying that if you don't like a song, make it your own. I would like to learn how to make something my own. I'm willing to try on any song. I just don't know where to begin.

To start with, you can try different strumming/chunking patterns with a song. There is a video on Youtube of Aldrine playing "Sunday Morning" which demonstrates really well how a different strum can change a song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJZZpRoUO-Q (around the 2:20 mark).

You can also try finger picking the chords instead of strumming them. I usually start with "in to out" picking (that is picking the strings from the middle to the outside, in the order 3241). Sometimes picking puts more focus on the singer's voice, or allows the relationships between the chords to show more fully. In to out picking is explained here (http://ukuleleunderground.com/lessons/in-to-out-picking/), and Uke Minutes number 144 is about making up your own picking patterns.

Best of luck!

pootsie
06-03-2012, 04:50 PM
I have posted something for the group:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?66095-nUUb-Minutes-weekly-nUUbies-challenge&p=955146#post955146

I hope to see some stuff from everyone!

thedannywahl
06-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Ok, I wen sign up! And I can say with all sincerity that I look forward to the day I can quit this group.

His Sinfulness
06-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Motivated by Pootsie I have offered up my own tip video for the pesky D chord. :)

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?66095-nUUb-Minutes-weekly-nUUbies-challenge&p=955253#post955253

Dorothy
06-04-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm not able to join the group yet. Guess I need to stop being so shy and quiet?
But, I did see the two videos that were posted. Love learning new stuff so early in the morning.
Looking forward to having enough posts to joing the group.

BBQUKER
06-04-2012, 02:48 AM
Hey Pootsie. Great video. Nice seein' ya at UWC. Too bad you had to leave early. Oh, you are well on your way to wearing an EXPERT T-shirt.

Dan

carolani
06-04-2012, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the reply His Sinfulness. I'll check out those videos. I liked your video about the D chord. Very useful.

carolani
06-04-2012, 03:52 AM
Great video Pootsie. Lot's of great advice there.

His Sinfulness
06-04-2012, 10:30 PM
So do we want to pick a song or two and get this thing started? I'd love to see what each of us can do. :)

Perhaps we could have the challenge be "Crazy Arms" and/or something else of similar difficulty.

luluwrites
06-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Dorothy:
Just find the New Uke threads. I can never help but comment on how pretty the new ukes are. You'll have your 25 posts in a flash.

I'm not able to join the group yet. Guess I need to stop being so shy and quiet?
But, I did see the two videos that were posted. Love learning new stuff so early in the morning.
Looking forward to having enough posts to joing the group.

barefootgypsy
06-05-2012, 01:18 AM
I was just wondering - as people have such differing tastes, would it be an idea to choose a skill to hone, then let people pick their own song to do? Like on the "Seasons" thread, where there's a theme but folk choose their own song - perhaps people could post suggestions for songs, like "here's one for lots of Em chords" or "one for incorporating some finger-pickin'" ...... ?

Don't want to complicate - but for example, I've never heard of "Crazy Arms".... :)

His Sinfulness
06-05-2012, 01:48 AM
I had never heard of it either - it was suggested earlier in this thread, along with a video link and tab.

I would be happy with the approach you sugest. What skill should we work on this week? Strumming? Chunking? Fingerpicking like Jake? ;)

luluwrites
06-05-2012, 01:56 AM
I was just wondering - as people have such differing tastes, would it be an idea to choose a skill to hone, then let people pick their own song to do? Like on the "Seasons" thread, where there's a theme but folk choose their own song - perhaps people could post suggestions for songs, like "here's one for lots of Em chords" or "one for incorporating some finger-pickin'" ...... ?

Don't want to complicate - but for example, I've never heard of "Crazy Arms".... :)

I think this is a good idea.

barefootgypsy
06-05-2012, 02:34 AM
I had never heard of it either - it was suggested earlier in this thread, along with a video link and tab.

I would be happy with the approach you sugest. What skill should we work on this week? Strumming? Chunking? Fingerpicking like Jake? ;)Well - to start us off, the whole thing was The Big Kahuna's idea - so I suggest he chooses a skill - and then folks get going on it, picking their own song.....? The ball's in your court, Kahuna! :D

The Big Kahuna
06-05-2012, 02:44 AM
Oh no you don't! ;)

luluwrites
06-05-2012, 03:00 AM
Oh no you don't! ;)

go on. pick. else we'll never get this thing off the ground.

mikelz777
06-05-2012, 03:17 AM
He saw what happened when I suggested "Crazy Arms".

pootsie
06-05-2012, 03:19 AM
Kahuna, if you don't pick something soon you will be forced to SING.

A BEATLES song, no less.

Hmmm ... Octopus's Garden is an easy song for nUUbs and not hard to sing along to ... Don't make us do it, Kahuna!

luluwrites
06-05-2012, 03:35 AM
I'd like to be . . .

pootsie
06-05-2012, 03:37 AM
Under the sea ...

The Big Kahuna
06-05-2012, 03:43 AM
If you're not careful I'll do a William Shatner version of "Someone Like You"

luluwrites
06-05-2012, 03:44 AM
In an octopus' garden in the shade . . .

His Sinfulness
06-05-2012, 04:25 AM
What skill are we trying to improve? Perhaps this time it should just be the skill of getting a song - ANY song - on video. Can we agree on that? :)

kirbo
06-05-2012, 04:49 AM
I'm in. I've got a whole four months under my belt.
Big Kahuna, I would be very interested to see your William Shatner's Someone Like You.

The Big Kahuna
06-05-2012, 04:50 AM
Learn something...anything...and play it all the way through. You don't have to video it, but play EVERY. LAST. NOTE. Then tell (or show) us that you've done it, and what it was.

How about that ? That seems to be a common thread running through this, and the one to which I alluded in my first post: the fact that I can't seem to play anything through to the end without stopping and noodling around like an idiot.

That way, we can all choose something within our comfort zone.

barefootgypsy
06-05-2012, 05:13 AM
Learn something...anything...and play it all the way through. You don't have to video it, but play EVERY. LAST. NOTE. Then tell (or show) us that you've done it, and what it was.

How about that ? That seems to be a common thread running through this, and the one to which I alluded in my first post: the fact that I can't seem to play anything through to the end without stopping and noodling around like an idiot.

That way, we can all choose something within our comfort zone.Okay...... I for one need a target - shall we decide on a personal target for the week and declare it? And when is the week up.... Sunday?

pootsie
06-05-2012, 05:24 AM
Sounds good. Are you going to post a new thread to announce this week's challenge like the seasons challenges? Then every week's entries could be linked in that thread ...

The Big Kahuna
06-05-2012, 05:41 AM
I'm somewhat pushed for time today (to be honest, I haven't got time to type this), so I'll either do it later if I can. tomorrow if not or someone else can do it if they want to. As I've said, this is a democratic leaderless group :)

pootsie
06-05-2012, 05:43 AM
As I've said, this is a democratic leaderless group :)

Occupy Ukuleles!

carolani
06-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks in advance for starting this off Big Kahuna. I really want to join in here. I'd like to submit a video if I can figure out how it's done.

bpedaci
06-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Occu-lele.

Dorothy
06-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Pick a song, and play the *whole* thing?? YIKES :)
I'm "playing" with the worship team in our church. My daughter was too shy to join by herself (she plays accoustic and electric guitar, and is teaching herself 4-string banjo). I play some of the chords, not all of them. As I say "I'm making a joyful noise" LOL
I don't think there has been a song we have done yet that I have played it all as it is supposed to be.
Campfire songs ... those I can handle. Found a songbook from the Halifax Ukulele Group online that I downloaded ... been having fun with that.
(now, wonder how many posts this has me up to?)

mikelz777
06-05-2012, 10:40 AM
17 as of now according to your post counter

barefootgypsy
06-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm somewhat pushed for time today (to be honest, I haven't got time to type this), so I'll either do it later if I can. tomorrow if not or someone else can do it if they want to. As I've said, this is a democratic leaderless group :)ok I'll put the post up... but I won't be around from Thurs, til next week....

BlueLatitude
06-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Campfire songs ... those I can handle. Found a songbook from the Halifax Ukulele Group online that I downloaded ... been having fun with that.
(now, wonder how many posts this has me up to?)

Ooh! Is "Song for the Mira" in it???? (helping you up your post count...)

barefootgypsy
06-05-2012, 10:57 AM
ok I'll put the post up... but I won't be around from Thurs, til next week....

Dun it, it's up there.... http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?66167-Noob-Challenge-Week-One!&p=956830#post956830

Dorothy
06-05-2012, 11:29 AM
No, it's not. But, that would be a nice one to find.
http://halifaxukulelegang.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/campfire-songs/ this page has 2 links to the song book.

Dorothy
06-05-2012, 11:31 AM
What is your favorite source for songs to play?

I tend to like the silly little fun songs for now ... but aspire to play more "serious" songs at some point.

bnorm513
07-14-2012, 05:22 AM
Man, looks like I was about a month too late joining UU! I'm going to try to work through these weekly challenges and catch up.

Also have to start posting more so I can join the group...

kirbo
07-14-2012, 05:59 AM
Man, looks like I was about a month too late joining UU! I'm going to try to work through these weekly challenges and catch up.

Also have to start posting more so I can join the group...

No such thing as too late. The more, the merrier!

pootsie
07-14-2012, 07:40 AM
You can jump in wherever you want! You can share your work on an old challenge in a new thread or whatever. The idea is just to give us nUUbs a place to share our less-than-stellar accomplishments and frustrations as we strive to better our ukulele playing.

barefootgypsy
07-15-2012, 08:26 AM
You can jump in wherever you want! You can share your work on an old challenge in a new thread or whatever. The idea is just to give us nUUbs a place to share our less-than-stellar accomplishments and frustrations as we strive to better our ukulele playing.Frustrations - I am VERY frustrated today. Got a webcam, spent two days trying to install it. Gremlins. Finally got it installed today, did a little practice video, it won't play. My Media Player and Media Centre won't work - missing files. Can't play it on itunes either. AAARGh! And anyway it seems I haven't got enough RAM - only got 1gb. Hummph. Think my PC will need professional attention....

mikelz777
07-15-2012, 08:38 AM
We need a ukulele Geek Squad to help us challenged ukers! I know I'd need the help. Yesterday my daughter's i-pod thwarted me when I tried to clear it's old library and put some new stuff on it. I don't want to think of what would happen if I tried to make a video and post it though other circumstances tell me I'll be needing a web-cam in the near future. I guess I'll cross my fingers, hope for the best and cross that bridge when I come to it.