PDA

View Full Version : Martin C1k help

bazmaz
05-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi folks. Thinking about giving one of these a try. There are limited reviews out there, but enough to tell me they sound decent enough. Good price too.

Anyway, my question is rather embarrassing in how shallow it is. It's a concern I have from limited pictures I've seen. I know it makes no difference to the sound, but it's bugging me. The headstock decal.

The pictures I've seen seem to make it look like is a sticker, a raised sticker, on the headstock. I may be wrong but it looks like those cheap "happy birthday" labels people buy and apply to home made greetings cards? Am I wrong? Is It a real label or just a raised plastic sticker.

(now I'm off to skulk ashamed for being so material about things!)

bazmaz
05-30-2012, 07:32 AM
No takers?

The Big Kahuna
05-30-2012, 07:48 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NL4MCMgU3Mw/T3El3Pwmq_I/AAAAAAAABdo/TLiKMalsiL0/s1600/DSC04545.JPG

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/gd-7e5f1b4b543063755b27998df22dd947.jpg

http://sp.j-guitar.com/uploads/1885/r/productphoto_4f6589c5-50b4-49.JPG

Difficult to say.

BIGDB
05-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Yes it is a raised sticker which is on my S1 also which I think is kinda lame cause the whole thing is so awesome then It's some cheap sticker would still recommend getting one though

bazmaz
05-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks Bigdb - yes, does seem lame. Am hearing great things about the sound though. Uke Ghetto raves about it.

ukulelepuapua
05-31-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks Bigdb - yes, does seem lame. Am hearing great things about the sound though. Uke Ghetto raves about it.

I just looked at one of our C1k's and it is a raised decal- I wouldnt say that it looks poor at all and I am sure it also helps keep the cost down too.

bazmaz
05-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Puapua - I think what surprises me is that it surely would have been just as cheap to use a thin decal transfer? Not expecting inlay at this price point, but the photos I've seen make the raised sticker look a bit "homemade Christmas card" if you know what I mean.

khairijamian
05-31-2012, 08:03 PM
as the famous C.F. Martin, it should be at least, laser engraved! :p

The Big Kahuna
05-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Gibson has Epiphone. Fender has Squier. The Human Race has The Kardashians.

If someone is going to make a cut-price imitation, call it something else.

BIGDB
05-31-2012, 09:13 PM
I just looked at one of our C1k's and it is a raised decal- I wouldnt say that it looks poor at all and I am sure it also helps keep the cost down too.

I'm not saying it looks that bad but I've seen an older one and it's way cooler

smellofstrings
05-31-2012, 11:52 PM
My new Maton uke has a flat decal logo on the headstock. It only bothers me when I need to clip my Snark tuner on it because the rubber clip could wear away the finish and rub the decal. I will clip it really lightly to avoid the wear. If Martin decal is a raised one, I suggest you should avoid clipping the tuner directly on the logo, perhaps just clip it on the side of the headstock.

bazmaz
06-01-2012, 02:41 AM
Good point!

bazmaz
06-01-2012, 02:43 AM
Gibson has Epiphone. Fender has Squier. The Human Race has The Kardashians.

If someone is going to make a cut-price imitation, call it something else.

Kind of see what you are saying, but this is a Mexican Martin, not far eastern like Squiers and Epiphones. Fender and Taylor both make guitars in Mexico but still brand them Fender and Taylor.

stevepetergal
06-01-2012, 03:42 AM
I have a friend who owns one of these. He never plays it. You could put the name "Martin" on a Makala Dolphin, and it will be more of a Martin, in his and my opinions.

bazmaz
06-01-2012, 04:10 AM
It's a uke that is certainly dividing opinions.

http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/fine-senorita.html that is a reviewer who I trust and owns some fine ukes. Loves it.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it's a two grand Martin, but that its a decent solid Koa uke?

PedalFreak
06-01-2012, 04:32 AM
I don't think anyone is suggesting it's a two grand Martin, but that its a decent solid Koa uke?

I've played the new 1K models next to KoAloha's, Kamaka's, Collings, and a few others. They hold there own. I have no idea why people are bashing these ukes. We just did a comparison at my shop with the T1K and a Tenor from a very well liked "custom" brand, and it was leaps and bounds better. Great volume, sustain, warm yet bright sounding. I played the 1K next to the 2K models, and they were very close in sound, enough in my mind to go with a 1K over a 2K.

I see you've got a Pono MHC, I've got one also. The Martin C1K isn't as bright as the Pono, its got a brightness, but its on the warmer side. I can't wait to see how these open up as they age, they're going to sound really great after some years of playing :)

As far as the decal, Martin began using that decal in the 80's on certain models, and even putting it on artists guitars, because it would stand out when they were on TV, where their other logo you wouldn't see on TV.

Now they primarily use it on lower priced models. Their other CF Martin logo isn't a decal, it requires a special solvent to transfer it onto the headstock, and then they lacquer over top of it. So it takes quite a bit more time to use those logos, which is why you wont see it on a lower priced Martin.

ukuraleigh
06-01-2012, 04:40 AM
I didn't get a C1K, but its younger sibling couldn't even make it to my house without losing part of the sticker. :-(

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?62923-You-Won-t-Believe-Why-I-Have-to-Return-My-New-Martin-Uke

I sent it back and didn't get a replacement because I had concerns about the quality after that incident.

PedalFreak
06-01-2012, 04:46 AM
I didn't get a C1K, but its younger sibling couldn't even make it to my house without losing part of the sticker. :-(

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?62923-You-Won-t-Believe-Why-I-Have-to-Return-My-New-Martin-Uke

I sent it back and didn't get a replacement because I had concerns about the quality after that incident.

No offense, but part of the decal falling off doesn't speak of the instruments quality.

ukuraleigh
06-01-2012, 04:54 AM
No offense, but part of the decal falling off doesn't speak of the instruments quality.

You're welcome to your opinion, as am I. :)

If they can't even get the decal to remain on the headstock, what else is not up to standard? #rhetoricalquestion

bazmaz
06-01-2012, 04:55 AM
Though If it shipped like that, it should never have gotten past Martin QC, which does speak of Martins QC standards?

ukuraleigh
06-01-2012, 05:01 AM
Though If it shipped like that, it should never have gotten past Martin QC, which does speak of Martins QC standards?

I tried to keep an open mind about it. It could have happened while sitting in stock at Elderly.

In the brief time I had it, it seemed like a nice instrument...if it were in the $200 price range, but at ~$380 I kinda expected better.

And yes, I was scared to death to clip my tuner to the headstock, in fear of more stickers coming off. :(

ALL OF THAT SAID, I do like the look of the C1K and it seems to be a fair price for a koa concert uke.

There, that left you totally confused, didn't it. :P

PedalFreak
06-01-2012, 05:43 AM
You're welcome to your opinion, as am I. :)

If they can't even get the decal to remain on the headstock, what else is not up to standard? #rhetoricalquestion

In the years I've worked with Martin I'd doubt it was a QC issue. Probably just had a bad decal put on, shipped in the winter and came off due to the cold.

Martin has some of the best QC in the industry :)

ScooterD35
06-01-2012, 06:16 AM
Martin use a few different decals/"stickers" for their headstock logos. There is the "old style" script decal (on vintage series and such) the "modern style" script logo (on standard series and some special editions) and the "raised gold foil" logo (on road, 1, 16, some standard, some special edition series and, yes, ukuleles).

Martin has been using the gold foil logo for more than a decade now and yes, there have been occasional batches with defective adhesive.

My long experience with Martin is that their warranty/customer service is the best in the business. If you have an issue with a new instrument's logo, call Martin Customer Service directly and they will make it right.

Some people don't like the gold foil logo for aesthetic reasons, which is completely understandable, but it is no different than the methods used by most large-scale instrument manufacturers. The vast majorities of guitars, ukes, mandolins, banjos etc. out there have some kind of decal or sticker for a logo. In the case of the C1K, I'd bet an inlaid logo would add at least $100 to the retail price (about $65 street).

A quick anecdote:

I had purchased a new D-15S (12 fret dreadnought guitar) and didn't particularly care for the pick guard (it looked like a slice of pepperoni). I took it to the factory and asked about a different guard. The nice man said "No problem. Go take the tour and I'll put on a more vintage looking one."

When I got done with the tour, he was waiting and said "I put the new guard on but while I was taking the old one off, part of the (decal) rosette came up." He had glued it back down and it looked just fine to me but the head of customer service happened to walk by and offered to remove the neck and bridge, strip and refinish the top and put on a new rosette. I said no thanks, it's fine as it is and went home with a smile and a new pick guard. (To this day I can't tell where the decal came up.)

I have had numerous similar experiences like this over the years and am a dedicated and devoted martin fan.

The Mexico made ukes, backpackers and Little Martin guitars come with a 1 year warranty and all full size Mexico made guitars, as well as all instruments made in Nazareth, Pa. come with a lifetime warranty that is considered by most folks to be the best in the business.

Scooter

ChrisRCovington
06-01-2012, 06:33 AM
I'm pretty rough on stuff (not that I mean to be lol). I haven't had any trouble with the gold foil stickers on my S1. They are on tough as nails. I even picked at them a little to see if they were loose or anything and they were solid. As for looks... I guess that is a matter of personal taste. I think they look nice against the nice mahogany headstock on the S1.