Martin C1k help

bazmaz

Reaction score
Hi folks. Thinking about giving one of these a try. There are limited reviews out there, but enough to tell me they sound decent enough. Good price too.

Anyway, my question is rather embarrassing in how shallow it is. It's a concern I have from limited pictures I've seen. I know it makes no difference to the sound, but it's bugging me. The headstock decal.

The pictures I've seen seem to make it look like is a sticker, a raised sticker, on the headstock. I may be wrong but it looks like those cheap "happy birthday" labels people buy and apply to home made greetings cards? Am I wrong? Is It a real label or just a raised plastic sticker.

(now I'm off to skulk ashamed for being so material about things!)

Yes it is a raised sticker which is on my S1 also which I think is kinda lame cause the whole thing is so awesome then It's some cheap sticker would still recommend getting one though

Last edited:
Thanks Bigdb - yes, does seem lame. Am hearing great things about the sound though. Uke Ghetto raves about it.

Thanks Bigdb - yes, does seem lame. Am hearing great things about the sound though. Uke Ghetto raves about it.

I just looked at one of our C1k's and it is a raised decal- I wouldnt say that it looks poor at all and I am sure it also helps keep the cost down too.

Puapua - I think what surprises me is that it surely would have been just as cheap to use a thin decal transfer? Not expecting inlay at this price point, but the photos I've seen make the raised sticker look a bit "homemade Christmas card" if you know what I mean.

Gibson has Epiphone. Fender has Squier. The Human Race has The Kardashians.

If someone is going to make a cut-price imitation, call it something else.

I just looked at one of our C1k's and it is a raised decal- I wouldnt say that it looks poor at all and I am sure it also helps keep the cost down too.

I'm not saying it looks that bad but I've seen an older one and it's way cooler

My new Maton uke has a flat decal logo on the headstock. It only bothers me when I need to clip my Snark tuner on it because the rubber clip could wear away the finish and rub the decal. I will clip it really lightly to avoid the wear. If Martin decal is a raised one, I suggest you should avoid clipping the tuner directly on the logo, perhaps just clip it on the side of the headstock.

Gibson has Epiphone. Fender has Squier. The Human Race has The Kardashians.

If someone is going to make a cut-price imitation, call it something else.

Kind of see what you are saying, but this is a Mexican Martin, not far eastern like Squiers and Epiphones. Fender and Taylor both make guitars in Mexico but still brand them Fender and Taylor.

I have a friend who owns one of these. He never plays it. You could put the name "Martin" on a Makala Dolphin, and it will be more of a Martin, in his and my opinions.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it's a two grand Martin, but that its a decent solid Koa uke?

I've played the new 1K models next to KoAloha's, Kamaka's, Collings, and a few others. They hold there own. I have no idea why people are bashing these ukes. We just did a comparison at my shop with the T1K and a Tenor from a very well liked "custom" brand, and it was leaps and bounds better. Great volume, sustain, warm yet bright sounding. I played the 1K next to the 2K models, and they were very close in sound, enough in my mind to go with a 1K over a 2K.

I see you've got a Pono MHC, I've got one also. The Martin C1K isn't as bright as the Pono, its got a brightness, but its on the warmer side. I can't wait to see how these open up as they age, they're going to sound really great after some years of playing :)

As far as the decal, Martin began using that decal in the 80's on certain models, and even putting it on artists guitars, because it would stand out when they were on TV, where their other logo you wouldn't see on TV.

Now they primarily use it on lower priced models. Their other CF Martin logo isn't a decal, it requires a special solvent to transfer it onto the headstock, and then they lacquer over top of it. So it takes quite a bit more time to use those logos, which is why you wont see it on a lower priced Martin.

No offense, but part of the decal falling off doesn't speak of the instruments quality.

You're welcome to your opinion, as am I. :)

If they can't even get the decal to remain on the headstock, what else is not up to standard? #rhetoricalquestion

Though If it shipped like that, it should never have gotten past Martin QC, which does speak of Martins QC standards?

Top Bottom