This is indeed a sad day

Nickie

Reaction score
I just heard on our Classical music station that Doc Watson, 88, passed away today, at his home in NC. He was truly a master of the guitar, and will be sorely missed by many. I even got meet him once... what a nice man.

Deep sigh........:(

I saw him last fall and he was fantastic, I couldn't help but feel like it might be the last time we would get to see him.

When I was growing up my dad built and repaired guitars in Boone NC. We would go over to Doc's house often and listen to him play. He enjoyed life. Hats off to one hell of a picker-

To pay for a new Martin guitar bought on the installment plan, Mr. Watson played for tips at a cab stand in Lenoir, N.C. Before long he was appearing at amateur contests and fiddlers’ conventions. One day, as he prepared to play for a radio show being broadcast from a furniture store, the announcer decided that the young guitarist needed a snappier name and appealed to the audience for suggestions. A woman yelled out, “Doc!,” and the name stuck. (Last year, a life-size statue of Mr. Watson was dedicated in Boone, N.C., at the spot where he had once played for tips to support his family. At his request the inscription read, “Just One of the People.” From the NY Times Article.

Just one of the people indeed. RIP Doc.

AYe- just heard this myself...we will be rollin in sweet babies arms all night tonight in Cloverdale- Bless Up Doc...

His music and influence will live on.
Thanks Doc, for all the great music.

RIP Doc.....Thank you for all the memories and contribution to the music industry... Aloha oe.....

I've kicked myself for the past year over this. Doc played at a historic theater in my town a little over a year ago, just him, no one else, for two and a half hours.

After reading about his passing this morning I'm really kicking myself.

Hope to play some tunes and get some schooling from Mr. Watson one day :)

Doc will be missed. I had the privilage of seeing him numerous times with Merle. Each time was precious.

Gods Speed Doc

Yeah, just heard. I got to see Doc when I was 11 or 12 (a long time ago...). He was playing in Scottsbluff Nebraska. My parents and some of their friends were going to see him. They were leaving us kids with a babysitter, but before they left I asked my Dad if I can go too. He turned and smiled and said, yeah you can go. I just have vague recollections of the show, but the whole night meant a lot to me, and I've been a fan ever since.

Top Bottom