PDA

View Full Version : Which Uke gets the Low G?

Thinker
05-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Hi guys!

So, I have a KoAloha Tenor and a brand new long-neck Soprano. I love them both. I have only been playing a few months. I've gotten a lot of my chord work down, even if some of my strum patterns are only so-so.

Here's my question: I'm thinking of stringing one of my ukes with a low-G as I try to do more finger style stuff. But which one?

The long-neck soprano makes it so easy to reach long distances. But the tenor has more room on the fret board. The soprano has an INCREDIBLE Hawaiian tone - great for chord work.

I'm indecisive. Is there an obvious answer?

- Thinker

wickedwahine11
05-29-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't think it is an obvious answer, but I would opt for the tenor. My KoAloha tenor is low g and I love it - I would give a shout out to the PhD low g strings on it. Of all I tried, they sounded the best on that uke.

whit
05-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Personally, I would be more inclined to string a tenor with Low-G. Of course, then I'd need to get another tenor. Oh wait...

janeray1940
05-29-2012, 04:08 PM
The tenor. Low G never sounds right to me on a soprano. If you talk to the luthier types they can tell you why, but I can never remember the exact explanation!

fernandogardinali
05-29-2012, 04:37 PM
The tenor.

SailingUke
05-29-2012, 04:42 PM
The tenor, the longer scale and larger body do better with low g.
There are many folks who do put low g on sopranos and concerts though, so the choice is yours.

erivel
05-29-2012, 05:13 PM
The tenor! But you can try low G on both and see which uke it suits best.

kapahulu50
05-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Imo Neither. There's some great fingerpicking techniques with reentrant tuning that you'll want the tenor's wider fret spacing for.

whit
05-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Imo Neither. There's some great fingerpicking techniques with reentrant tuning that you'll want the tenor's wider fret spacing for.

Which is why you need two tenors :D

haolebrownie
05-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Which is why you need two tenors :D

Exactly what I was thinking! I have had two tenors strung low g. I like the sound, but ultimately I go back to high g. Now that I have more ukes, I'll probably always leave one in low g.

Back to your question... Try to string them both in low g and see how they sound. Strings are really cheap and you will get the best answer.

Flyke
05-29-2012, 06:22 PM
The tenor. It's larger body will handle the lower notes better. It'll give you a much nicer sound.

Lori
05-29-2012, 07:11 PM
I have many ukes tuned to low G... a long neck soprano, a concert, a tenor, a soprano... it really depends on the uke and the low G string you are using. Some combinations just won't sound good, while others are fine. If you have trouble with sustain, go for a wound low g string. The larger uke bodies are going to handle the low tones better. Some ukes won't sound good in low g no matter how hard you try. Have fun experimenting.

–Lori

Thinker
06-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Exactly what I was thinking! I have had two tenors strung low g. I like the sound, but ultimately I go back to high g. Now that I have more ukes, I'll probably always leave one in low g.

Back to your question... Try to string them both in low g and see how they sound. Strings are really cheap and you will get the best answer.

I love how everything in this forum eventually leads to "buy more ukes!"

Thinker
06-01-2012, 06:04 AM
I have many ukes tuned to low G... a long neck soprano, a concert, a tenor, a soprano... it really depends on the uke and the low G string you are using. Some combinations just won't sound good, while others are fine. If you have trouble with sustain, go for a wound low g string. The larger uke bodies are going to handle the low tones better. Some ukes won't sound good in low g no matter how hard you try. Have fun experimenting.

–Lori

Thanks everyone! I'm inclined to tenor it at first. Partly itis because my soprano sounds so great as it is. I don't want to mess with. And partly because Low G string will sounds so nice in the Big Tenor.

stevepetergal
06-01-2012, 06:46 AM
If you like both ukuleles, definitely the tenor. You might try the long-neck soprano too, just to prove to yourself the tenor is the right choice. Then you'll be sure.

kvehe
06-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Yes, by all means, the tenor, and then "buy" all means, buy another.

guitarsnrotts
06-01-2012, 08:28 AM
The tenor. I've tried Low-G on all my sopranos and haven't found any that sounded good to my ears. I recently put Low-G Worth Browns on my Mainland Concert. Sounds OK but I liked it better in High-G. My tenor sounds it's best in Low-G tuned GCEA. Currently using Fremont Blacklines on it. Also, I have found that I prefer an unwound low g string.

strumsilly
06-01-2012, 09:24 AM
the low g will sound even better on a baritone, strung GCEA. love mine.

amandadverse
06-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Not trying to thread-jack, but every day I learn something new and exciting about ukes here. I'm still so green I had never heard of stringing for low G. Google, here I come!