What's your favorite Jake album?

AndrewKuker

Reaction score
All of Jake's albums have goodies and are worth having. But one album I keep coming back to is his 2005 release- Dragon. This album features Noel Okimoto on drums and Dean Taba on bass, one of the finest rhythm sections you will find anywhere. It has amazing symphony players and beautiful arrangements from Jake, who plays quite a bit of guitar on it as well. It's a rock/fusiony feel which is why I like it so much I guess, but still has a lot of emotional uke playing. So ya, go listen to the samples at iTunes and buy it if you haven't. I think it's a classic. What Jake album is your favorite??

My favourite Jake stuff is still on the Pure Heart albums, which is how I discovered him 12 years ago. As awesome as he is, given the choice, I'd still rather listen to Aldrine.

The live album. I don't care much for the arrangements in his earlier stuff; it sounds smooth-jazz-y and cheesy to me. Seeing him live has really made me appreciate how good of a musician he is, and it's impressive how he does so much with so little. He doesn't need to hide behind those awful synth horns and flutes when his solo chord melody playing speaks for itself!

Gently Weeps, Live - the solo ukulele stuff. I like him better without a band. Though I may have to check out some Pure Heart......

The Live album by far. Most of his recent stuff has been kind of "bleh" for me, but then the Live album came out and blew it all away.

I agree with Brad, it's the "Live" album for me. I would much rather just hear the emotion pouring from the soundhole of his ukulele than an over-produced track.

I like the live stuff too. I like the plain old solo ukulele.

Top Bottom