Thin/light bodied ukulele?

khairijamian

Reaction score
Aloha all,

The word 'thin' here refers to thin construction of the ukulele itself, not like the thin-bodied as Kala travel ukes. Light in weight, in other word. I've come across only few thin/light uke (at least they're light in my hands), like the KoAloha Noah soprano, the standard Mele mahogany soprano and Kiwaya KS-1 . I also heard that Kiwaya KTS-4 is also light in weight. Does anybody else know such lightweight uke other than these? Sopranos would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Thin/lightbodied Ukulele

There are a couple of Carbon Fiber Bodied Ukes and some with carbon fiber bowl backs. They are pricy but tough and light. They are also not affected by sunlight,water,rain,heat etc. They make great ukes to take on a plane trip or to a sunny beach.They also look cool but the black bodies get hot in direct sunlight.

The lightest soprano uke I've ever held was a LoPrinzi. Light as a feather!

My Kumalae weighs in at 240 grams/8 ounces. Or perhaps even 220, I forget. I doubt there are any modern ukes that light.

Rob C who is a member here made my soprano
and it weighs in at 265g,and has to be the lightest
uke i have ever held/played!

I have the slimline Bruko No. 6, expect for it to be light, but somehow after I bought it, the construction feels quite heavy for me. But the sound is OK. Only wish for it to be much lighter, and also a special slim hardcase too for it.

The lightest soprano uke I've ever held was a LoPrinzi. Light as a feather!

Which model? I got a friend with Bambino, of course it's light!

i second the Kumalae but we have another senior member on here and he makes some of the lightest sopranos. Sven of Argapa ukes.

It's all good things about Argapa eh? :)

Rob C who is a member here made my soprano
and it weighs in at 265g,and has to be the lightest
uke i have ever held/played!

Sorry, but I never heard of Rob C...perhaps some link? :D

Which model? I got a friend with Bambino, of course it's light!

I don't know but it was made for the late John King.

I have a Kiwaya KTS-5 on sale in the marketplace and it is ridiculously light and a terrific player. Can't get much better from a uke that size.

I mentioned Rob C earlier in this thread.He is a member here
as 'Rob C' and his site is at; frets@tinguitar.myzen.co.uk
Rob is also half of a performing Ukulele Duo called 'PerilousMojo'
and is a fine gentleman to know! I am not associated with Rob
and his Site,His company or whatever, in any way, just a well
satisfied customer of his!

Lightest concert uke

It was good to read ukefolks views on lightweight soprano ukes, but what about lightweight concert ukes? I'm planning a long backpacking trip and would like to take a concert uke with me, but need it to be as light (and preferably compact) as possible, for obvious reasons. Does anyone have any recommendations for he lightest concert uke? Also, what about the carbon fibre ukes that someone mentioned - is there a concert version and if so, where could I get one? Thanks guys.

It was good to read ukefolks views on lightweight soprano ukes, but what about lightweight concert ukes? I'm planning a long backpacking trip and would like to take a concert uke with me, but need it to be as light (and preferably compact) as possible, for obvious reasons. Does anyone have any recommendations for he lightest concert uke? Also, what about the carbon fibre ukes that someone mentioned - is there a concert version and if so, where could I get one? Thanks guys.

Check out this site, http://karadoocomposite.blogspot.com/. I believe that it is a Thailand brand. Not really a concert though, it's a super concert. 100% carbon fiber that you could play uke while swimming in the pool :cool: Also please take note that it's quite pricey (at least for me).

Last edited:

Brian Griffin from Griffinukuleles.com is in the middle of a 3 concert Pinecone travel uke build. One has been spoken for. Really nice and light with the voice of a regular concert,

I've got a Donaldson soprano with Peghed tuners that I feel I have to put a rock on if I leave it in the wind. It's sound is very bright and very loud compared to everything else I own except possibly my Koaloha concert.

Top Bottom