PDA

View Full Version : Thankyou...

Hippie Dribble
05-30-2012, 02:17 PM
hi gang

wanted to share an amazing experience I've just had, as a way to say yet again why this place is the friendliest, loveliest and most fun place on the internet..

got a ticket in the mailbox the other day with my name on it saying there was a parcel to pick up. Funny, I thought, I haven't ordered anything. Drove on into the town and the woman said, "it's international, you have to sign for it"...the mind starts to really tick into overdrive now...

Got outside and it's a big rectangular box. Ok, I've seen these a few times before but normally only when I've bought something. Then I see the name 'MaryMac' on the box as the sender and I kinda started to go a bit numb...that feeling you get when your just dumbfounded and lost for words.

Turned out to be a stunning mainland mahogany baritone ukulele: a gift from some of my friends HERE. Speechless guys, thankyou. It has barely left my hands since I got her. I feel beyond grateful to you all, and especially to Stan, who has become my dearest closest friend and special Bruddah to me since I joined, for organising the whole thing...

yeah it's been a rough 8 months or so poor health, family stress, loss of employment. I've been down pretty hard, emotionally and physically, but sheesh, you folks sure know how to brighten a guy's day. So thankyou to STAN, MARY, BILL, JOHN, BO, DIANE, DIRK, TONY, RALF, CAM, DAVE, GLENN, GINNY, CRAIG, ROX and SCOTT. If I could plant a big sloppy one on ya's all I would, but for now a virtual hug is the best I can do. We all got issues in our lives and I don't deserve this kindness; I am a little embarrassed to even post this but just couldn't let this pass without publicly expressing my gratitude to each of you. Thankyou from the bottom of my heart, this act has touched me deeply.

Here's the first song I recorded on the uke yesterday, sorry, it's not maybe a really appropriate one to dedicate to you guys :o but it was the one I happened to be learning and kinda expressing the weird, slightly loose and low mindset of late. I also wrote some notes under the clip telling the YT crew about what you have done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKY-d4J1ePs

I just love this place. To say it's my lifeline is an understatement. Thankyou, all of you, for making the UU what it is - to me and so many others. :)

ukuleledaveey
05-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Wow a beautiful uke for a beautiful man :) you deserve it Jon,you are such a wondeful chap, a top notch uke player and allround top man, you offer so much encouragement and pass on your knowledge and support to us.
Hope your health is doing ok, and know even in the tough times you are much loved on here my friend.
I tell you what is funny i belonged to another uke forum, who shall remain nameless and they sneer and look down at us lot on here, yet this amazing gesture just shows what a truly wonderful global community we have here. this place is the best and has the best people .
Anyway Jon you take care my friend and we are all so happy for you :)

luluwrites
05-30-2012, 02:43 PM
What a lovely, heartfelt gift. And what a joyful thank you (pessimistic or no).
Thank YOU Jon for bringing such a generous spirit to the forum. It is no surprise to me that your generosity came back to you in this way. Nonetheless -- your UU pals sure did right.

I'm going to bed with a smile on my face tonight. The world is good.

mm stan
05-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Aloha Bruddah Jon,
You are an awesome friend, man, and ukulele player.I am glad you are enjoying your mainland baritone from all your UU friends..you have always contributed so much the the UU forums and the Ukulele..but not many are
aware of the ukes, gifts and contributions for ukuleles you have given out yourself....you have a big heart Jonathan
Duncan... I am so pleased you are enjoying your new uke it made tears come down...you give so much good
Karma mate....I am sure you will get better soon and more better days and things will come...Take Care
my friend and happy Strummings... Mahalo to all who made this possible....MM Stan I am honored to call you
my best friend..:)

ScooterD35
05-30-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm still pretty new around here but this sort of friendship and kindness really reinforces my overall feelings about this place.

Congratulations Jonathan (my son's name btw) and kudos to the conspirators!

Scooter

soupking
05-30-2012, 03:31 PM
If anyone deserves it, Jon, it sure is you. Awesome stuff. Cheers to everyone who made it happen, too.

fitncrafty
05-30-2012, 03:33 PM
That is just incredible! awesome.. doesn't surprise me at all..

Patrick Madsen
05-30-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm speechless. Couldn't have gone to a nicer person. I agree, this place is like a lifeline and you're part of that line.

caukulele
05-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Another example of why this is such a great forum, with many beautiful, generous people who are willing to help, and share their talents, experience, wisdom and joy with others. Good Karma for sure! Keep strumming Jon, you are a gift to this forum.

808boy
05-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Aloha my Bruddah from Down Undah,
It's the least I could do to brighten up one of our dearest friend here on UU. Yeah, Bruddah Stan told me about "THE PLAN" and I was instantly IN. You have brightened up many of our days and it's only fitting that we return the favor.
Me, I'm waiting for my Wixom, 2-3 weeks out, being sent to me on Maui. I'll take it to Honolulu in July to show Stan and to Jam with him and HIS Wixom.
Proud to say I'm your friend,..........................BO............... .........

Freeda
05-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Well done, folks. :)

ukuloonie
05-30-2012, 03:49 PM
pretty awesome:D

dkcrown
05-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Yet another case of the Aloha spirit on this site. In the time that I have been here, I have both witnessed and been apart of these acts of kindness. And there have been many. Too many to recall.

Most of us have never actually met in person. Yet the friendships that we have made here run deep. We really know very little about each other. But it is truly amazing how deeply we care for one another, especially when times turn tough for someone.

A tip of the cap to those involved. Well done indeed. And Jon, if you didn't know before, now you do. You have touched many of us here with your mere presence, your enviable talent, your humility, and most of all with your fallablity. And please grace us with some more videos with your new baritone.

Nickie
05-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Jon,
Congratulations! And big kudos to everyone here who donated, especially Stan. I always enjoy your videos.... keep 'em coming buddy!

ukuraleigh
05-30-2012, 03:52 PM
That is so cool, and shows what a great group of people are on UU. Enjoy the uke!

TCK
05-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Haha- leave it to you to muck it up with such a heartfelt thank you, not that I don't appreciate the sentiment...but wait a minute-
For so many of us, it is the very least we can do mate.
You entertain us.
You inspire us.
You encourage us.
You make us smile.
Speaking personally...you are the reason I made my first video, and a big part of why I am still playing. You are an integral part of the coolest bit of the last 20 years my wife and I have had together, and you are teaching me how to play this damn thing from all the way across the world (whether you know it or not).
You have helped lower my blood pressure and stress level to a manageable level (thus keeping me out of prison).

Love you man...
Now play me another song :)

Hats off- way off...pants to follow ;)

Canoe Lady
05-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Well, since TCK has his pants half way off (again....), I'll just keep mine on. But know that we love you and wish the best for you always.

erivel
05-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Wow, fantastic story! Way to go UU!!!

roxhum
05-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Yeah, what TCK said.
Jon you so deserve it. You are such a generous spirit. I laughed because listening/watching you perform pessimistic brought a smile of joy to face. Reading these darn post brought tears. Enjoy and know you are loved.

Lexxy
05-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Nothing but kind souls on the forum...Nothing but kind souls.

kamaka_4_life
05-30-2012, 05:38 PM
WOW, congrats on the uke, and good luck with your health and life situations! I always love the people that are part of the Ukulele Underground community, and their love, care, and heartfelt generosity really shows by acts like these.

bdukes
05-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Good things happen to good people, Jon. You have no idea how your music, insight, and humor have touched me. Ukes may be a common factor, but without folks like you and Stan, the aloha spirit that lives here would not exist. My dad used to tell me that when things get tough, lean forward in the fox hole. And while I thought it was, at best, an interesting slogan from a career military man, it's quite another thing to see it action. Here in this silly little forum, I see it daily. It's been said before and it'll be said again, you're one of the good ones.

Another interesting thing is that as much as Stan wants to play up the Mystery Man legend, he's so obviously one of the most caring, kind and generous people I've had the pleasure of coming across. No mystery there.

shrink9
05-30-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm really happy this happened--it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person!

Dan Uke
05-30-2012, 07:09 PM
You deserve it!!!

For those who want to show more aloha spirit

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?65123-New-2CD-set-ukulele-recordings

thesillydave
05-30-2012, 07:40 PM
jon, it was a pleasure to be part of this,
your playing has made me strive to play better, play with confidence, to try to play with ease the way you do,
to look for fun forgotten songs, to play joyfully! with vim and vigor! i luckily came upon you early in my beginning uke playing,
and it/you showed me that playing and having fun is in itself a joy! but, the big thanks should go to mmstan! he was the ringleader!
blame him! i do hope to have the pleasure and honor to meet you someday, and stan, and all the other really 'pay it forward' people here on UU.
thanks for having this, this UU, cheers!

drbekken
05-30-2012, 08:26 PM
You are one of a kind, Jon. Without you and your singing and playing, the world would be a poorer place. So keep it up, and enjoy that beautiful new baritone. You earned it.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Your music and spirit make UU a better place every day, Jon. Enjoy the Mainland, my brother.

Thanks mm stan for putting this together.

watrr
05-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Beautiful. Ukulele spreading its joy

Plainsong
05-31-2012, 12:50 AM
We always somehow end up with the ukes we're meant to have. You were simply meant to have that one. It had your name on it. :)

Vladim
05-31-2012, 01:38 AM
Joy of music has always attracted me. It was the reason I picked up the ukulele. But the aura of love, reigning here on the UU forum, now attracts me even more.
Thank you, guys! You make lives of others happier.

vanflynn
05-31-2012, 03:41 AM
Good thing from good people for a good person. The Aloha spirit is much alive!

flyingv8
05-31-2012, 03:49 AM
This is just beautiful! What a great gift and such a wonderful way to show your love to someone very special. I am touched!

Tudorp
05-31-2012, 04:10 AM
Awesome brudda. Good stuff to a good man. Sick, or not you contribute so much not only to us here on UU, but to the world in general my friend. I remember a conversation we had awhile back about your job here on earth is far from complete. I knew, and know how you felt because there was a time I thought my job was complete as well, and gave up on life, only for God to reveil to me I was far from done. Only then, Is started to live again. As long as the good Lord gives your breath brudda, you do your thing.. ;) God Bless ya brudda..

bigchiz
05-31-2012, 04:12 AM
Woot... and awesome... and all that stuff. Giving has oh so many rewards.

Skottoman
05-31-2012, 04:32 AM
This is so awesome! I've never seen this type of giving/feeling on any other forum I visit. (Then again they are mostly car oriented), but it just goes to show the power of Aloha in the little uke!
Cheers,
Skottoman

rreffner
05-31-2012, 05:02 AM
We love you brother. Our heartfelt blessings to you and yours.

GinnyT11
05-31-2012, 05:03 AM
An irony of life is that you don't know what you really mean to people until you're at a point you think you have nothing left to offer. Discovering it is a marvelous gift. Being who you are, Jon, is a worthwhile proposition, so keep on doing it.

Ginny & Craig

PS--In another thread, someone asked if you'd consider teaching uke via Skype. You could make a few bucks and have students all over the world in a short time.

luluwrites
05-31-2012, 05:10 AM
An irony of life is that you don't know what you really mean to people until you're at a point you think you have nothing left to offer. Discovering it is a marvelous gift. Being who you are, Jon, is a worthwhile proposition, so keep on doing it.

Ginny & Craig

PS--In another thread, someone asked if you'd consider teaching uke via Skype. You could make a few bucks and have students all over the world in a short time.

I'd be first on the list of prospective students.

Gmoney
05-31-2012, 06:44 AM
Brother Jon, you inspire us, challenge us, & encourage us with every video you post as well as comments to others sharing their learning's. I'm glad to know you if only virtually & count you as a friend.

Enjoy that Mainland - it looks & sounds like you already are! And give OUR love to the family. We all benefit from the part of you that they provide.

Gmoney - aka Glenn

Vladim
05-31-2012, 08:15 AM
There's a famous saying: 'De mortuis aut bene aut nihil' (About the dead say well or nothing). I think on the contrary: About the living say well or nothing. How rare we tell good things to each other in our daily life. I'm glad to see that many and many folks here don't hesitate to express their best feelings towards a man who deserves them.

mds725
05-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Wish I'd known about this! Jon, you've given so much to this community that no ukulele on earth could properly repay you or adequately express our collective gratitude for the warmth, wisdom, musicianship, humanness and just flat-out fun that you bring to this forum. Congrats on the new bari, and thanks for making my ukulele world a much better place.

gyosh
05-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Wish I'd known about this! Jon, you've given so much to this community that no ukulele on earth could properly repay you or adequately express our collective gratitude for the warmth, wisdom, musicianship, humanness and just flat-out fun that you bring to this forum. Congrats on the new bari, and thanks for making my ukulele world a much better place.

:agree::agree::agree:

I couldn't have said it better! I look forward to many more new videos.

joeybug
06-01-2012, 03:27 AM
Congrats Jon, I couldn't not say anything in this post. I know this has happened before, because it did to me, and this place is just full of great and loving people! Now I'm headed back to my sick bed!

KimUke
06-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Wonderful! :D

Hippie Dribble
06-01-2012, 11:40 AM
everybody, thankyou for the warmth and kindness expressed to me and the UU. I send it back to you all with interest and a big hug :)

GinnyT11
06-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Jon, let's see the correct ukes in your signature.
(And maybe your profession in your profile should be "full-time uker"---how lucky is that?)

Hippie Dribble
06-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Jon, let's see the correct ukes in your signature.
(And maybe your profession in your profile should be "full-time uker"---how lucky is that?)

he he...yeah Ginny, then everyone will totally get why I'm destitute. :p

rem50
06-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Well deserved. The people here are second to none. I totally enjoy your vids. Glad to see eugenie in them too! Enjoy that uke and be sure to share "bari" songs with us fans!

TCK
06-01-2012, 04:07 PM
he he...yeah Ginny, then everyone will totally get why I'm destitute. :p
Now you're just being silly mate. ^sheesh...off to practice some more

joekulele
06-01-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm not much of a poster, but I read these threads almost daily. I can truly say that ukulele folks are the best. What a cool gift. Blessings to you and to all UUers!
Peace through ukulele,
-joe

Kestrel
06-03-2012, 02:53 AM
Marvellous, I discerned a 'good spirit' here initially... Now I know.. Thankyou to everyone who shared in this wonder, great harmony/plating/singing Jon...

webby
06-03-2012, 03:26 AM
What a fantastic story, uplifting and inspirational stuff guys, I love this forum and you guys rock.

Camsuke
06-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Enjoy that uke Jon, you totally deserve it mate. As you said, UU is a truly beautiful place and the members are an awesome bunch, we are all very lucky to have something so special in our lives. A Big thanks must go to Stan for making the magic happen, a top job mate.

uke552
06-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Great sounding (and looking) bari uke. I have enjoyed your videos for some time now and as others have said-well deserved!