Mini Les Paul-uke

rickmorgan2003

Reaction score
My daughter the uke player wanted something like what I built for my son the guitar player so here's the start of the project. I just finished the full sized LP so I had a good idea what I would need. My plan called for the following
Mahog Back and neck
curly maple top and headstock veneer
two humbuckers- almuse set up a set of "aggressors" for me with poles set for uke tuning.
Wired like traditional 59 LP- 4 pots 500k, 3 way switch.
tune o matic bridge and stop tailpiece.
purple burst finish.
Left Handed set up

I am deviating from a traditional LP buy hollowing the body and putting two "f" holes in. Gibson did make one like that for two years called the badlands I believe.
I did this so that it would be lighter and running wires in such a small space will be easier. Also, I am considering putting a preamp-piezio in there.
The pots were easy to come by, alpha makes a mini 500k and mini 3 way switch was easy as well. The bridge and tailpiece will be more problematic. I am considering drawing up a 4 pole ABR bridge and tailpiece design and having a prototype made locally. If it works out I may offer them on ebay or something to recupe the prototyping costs.
The f holes will be stylized in the shape of seahorses.
SO far this is what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMAG0636.jpg
    IMAG0636.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 184
  • IMAG0633.jpg
    IMAG0633.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 176
  • IMAG0637.jpg
    IMAG0637.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMAG0638.jpg
    IMAG0638.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMAG0640.jpg
    IMAG0640.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 252
the f hole design and the i guitar I made for my son which inspired the build

Attachments

• IMAG0611.jpg
    IMAG0611.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMAG0635.jpg
    IMAG0635.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMAG0641.jpg
    IMAG0641.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 135
Jeebus! Make me a '54 Gold Top Uke'!

Nice, I think you are going to have to start taking orders........me first......:cool:

Progress report on the mini LP.
Haven't had time to post because I've been jammin on the uke (and an LP guitar). It should be ready to spray by tomorrow, unfortunately I can only spray outdoors in a temporary plastic "booth" I've made. Here in Virginia it is currently 98 degrees and 85% humidity. Might have to wit a while before I can spray nitro.
Anyways, here are a few pics of the progress.
Decided on QS sycamore for the fingerboard, just love that figure. Sanded it down and cut fret slots. I had to measure it out based on a 15.5" scale due to the way the bridge setup is going to work.
After that I cut the binding rout. On the arch top, in order to keep the rout at a right angle I built the parallelogram sliding router arm. You can cut biding routes blindfolded with this thing.

Attachments

• IMAG0686.jpg
    IMAG0686.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 91
  • IMAG0689.jpg
    IMAG0689.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMAG0690.jpg
    IMAG0690.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0694.jpg
    IMAG0694.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMAG0702.jpg
    IMAG0702.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 76
Then it was on to binding. I chose to keep with LP tradition and use plastic bindings. Kids can be hard on instruments and the plastic will really take a beating.
Then the dye job. Originally it was a deep purple but she wanted something brighter with "pink" highlights (she's killin me). Had to search for a Pink solution and a wood turner told be to use fabric dyes, more colour options and the take to wood very well and can be mixed with alcohol. I found some fushia fabric dye and was able to create a pink to purple burst.

Attachments

• IMAG0724.jpg
    IMAG0724.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG0722.jpg
    IMAG0722.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMAG0728.jpg
    IMAG0728.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMAG0729.jpg
    IMAG0729.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 106
Rick,

You are making me feel like a slacker for buying one of the Kamoa semi-hollows rather than building something. Thanks.

Guess I am overachieving;) Actually I just love building instruments and they gave me a good excuse to do something different.
Rick,

You are making me feel like a slacker for buying one of the Kamoa semi-hollows rather than building something. Thanks.

Guess I am overachieving;) Actually I just love building instruments and they gave me a good excuse to do something different.

I am in the midst of an acoustic ukulele, and am in the planning stages of a violin for my daughter.... and now my wife wants a solid body U-Bassy thing.... if I don't buy the Kamoa, I will never get to building something similar.

Nice, I think you are going to have to start taking orders........me first......:cool:
If I go into production I will let you know first;) This being a prototype has a few quirks. I will knock out another soon, maybe start in a month. I should have all the bugs worked out and it will totally rock. I want to incorporate a piezio pickup as well. I also want to make a gibson 335 style with a spruce top. Kind of a jazz uke. Too many ideas not enough shop time.

IMAG0736.jpgHumbucker rings. Had to make my own for this one. Had some bird's eye maple just the right size but you wouldn't know it under the fushia dye.:rolleyes:
the bridge mount will match the humbucker rings. I can't wait for this one to be done so I can make a "manly uke" lol

The colour came out overexposed in the picture, they are closer to the purple spectrum than the hot pink they look like in the pic.

If I go into production I will let you know first;) This being a prototype has a few quirks. I will knock out another soon, maybe start in a month. I should have all the bugs worked out and it will totally rock. I want to incorporate a piezio pickup as well. I also want to make a gibson 335 style with a spruce top. Kind of a jazz uke. Too many ideas not enough shop time.

Very cool, I am not far from you in the NoVA area so I could come by with a bribe - yard work or errands perhaps....LOL.

Just kidding, I built a mandolin this winter and it was a fun learning experience but it mostly taught me how hard it is to build an instrument and how much I really don't know about luthiery.

Can't wait to see the finished product and hear a sound clip.

What you are seeing ended up as a mistake but the holes are for AMR single string bridges. I ended up chiseling out bit too much so I have made a wooden bridge mount the fits in that slot to bring it up to the needed height and the AMRs will mount to that.

Attachments

• bridge4.jpg
    bridge4.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 38
Very cool, I am not far from you in the NoVA area so I could come by with a bribe - yard work or errands perhaps....LOL.
Can't wait to see the finished product and hear a sound clip.

Sound clip will have to be by my daughter, it's a lefty and I can barely play righty.
Do you go to the Uke gatherings at Lake Anne in Reston every month?
If I can get it done in time my daughter will debute it at the Lake Anne Uke festival July 14th!

Those seahorses are SO CUTE~

What you are seeing ended up as a mistake but the holes are for AMR single string bridges. I ended up chiseling out bit too much so I have made a wooden bridge mount the fits in that slot to bring it up to the needed height and the AMRs will mount to that.

Okay. That makes sense. I had a similar situation with my first arch top, and here is my solution. I flattened an area on the "peak" of the arch that covered the footprint of a hardtail bridge. This process does not allow for much, if any, neck angle. I was happy with how it came out but eventually went to the Nashville TOM bridge.

Andrew

Attachments

• 100_2336.jpg
    100_2336.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 43
Top Bottom