Jimmy Buffett and his KoAloha

Reisman

Reaction score
I saw Jimmy Buffett in concert last night and was pleasantly surprised to see him break out his KoAloha Uke a couple of times. At one point he was playing his and the bass player was playing is UBass too. I thought I would share the phone pic I took of Jimmy.

Jimmy and his Koaloha.jpg

Cool, what songs did he play? I am looking to get the Koaloha longneck pineapple.

I'm curious to know which of his songs (or which songs of others that he played) he wanted to play using an ukulele instead of a guitar. Beyond the ukulele-related implications, I really like it when musicians take advantage of the live concert format to tinker with their own songs instead of feeling compelled to sound like the produced record/radio version at concerts, so kudos to Jimmy for that, too.

The first song he played with it was "Swinging Hula Man" (??????), and I can't remember the other songs he played on Uke-I was in Margaritaville you know:)

Jimmy is a brilliant business man. He's managed to bottle a "vibe" in his music - in his case the island relaxed feel. I can't think of anything better to complement that than the 'ukulele. The Parrot-heads must love it.

The Parrot-heads must love it.

I've been a Jimmy Buffett fan most of my adult life. Never saw him play an ukulele. Now I'm going to find even more of his songs to play -much to the dismay of my wife I'm sure.;)

I'm not a parrot head, but I have enjoyed Buffet on occasion. Still, I don't ever recall Jimmy Buffet and 'ukulele ever used together in the same sentence.

I sure hope this isn't just a case of some performer picking up the uke as the accessory du jour.

I guess I'm just a cynic ...

KoAloha. Down one Brittni Paiva, but up a Jimmy Buffett.

Jimmy Buffett's not new to the ukulele. According to this article in the Hawaii Star Bulletin on June 13, 2005, On the advice of a member of the Coral Reefer band, Jimmy asked Jake Shimabukuro to sit in with him and his band for a few songs at a performance at the Waikki Shell in April 2005, and then he invited Jake to be the opening act for seven of his concerts later in 2005. I suspect that Buffett has been an ukulele player since then.

Here's Jake telling the story:

That's awesome! I've been to a few Jimmy Buffett concerts when he's in Toronto and I've never seen him bring out the uke. There certainly isn't any shortage of fun at a Jimmy Buffett concert, that's for sure! Gotta luv it! :)

Jake's story on him meeting/playing with Jimmy Buffett was awesome!

I would think Jimmy Buffet and a ukulele go together like PB & J.....it just works!! I play a few of his tunes on the uke and he has been seen on stage with Jake S. in the past. I want his Koaloha tho'.

So glad he has something nicer to play than what he is photographed with on the Uke'can Play Jimmy Buffett cover!

I would think Jimmy Buffet and a ukulele go together like PB & J.....it just works!! I play a few of his tunes on the uke and he has been seen on stage with Jake S. in the past. I want his Koaloha tho'.

A couple of years ago, Jake openned for Jimmy's tour so technically, Jake was seen on stage with Jimmy. At a recent concert he thanked Jimmy for the opportunity.

Top Bottom