Kanilea K2 Tenor: checking interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
Aloha everyone, I was contemplating selling my Kanile'a K2 tenor. I bought this uke back in December of 2008, and it was my first Hawaiian made ukulele. I posted this thread back when I got it. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?7838-Just-got-my-Kanilea-K2-Tenor!

I am trying to convince my spouse to let me buy a new Kanilea premium tenor next week when I am in Hawaii, but in order to have any bargaining leverage, I need to know if there is anyone that might be interested in my current Kanilea, as I have to live under a "one uke in, one uke out" policy. Turns out if I sell this one, the remainder of the cost is my anniversary present.

This uke was built in August of 2008 and the serial number is 0808-2283. I have the original hang tag showing the purchase price of $1,129. I also put in some wood bridge pins but still have the original plastic black ones, so I would toss those in as well. I had a strap button installed by Joe Souza when I did his factory tour -- I think this was in 2009. I got a gold one to match the gold tuners, but it came with two, so I have the spare in case anyone wants to add a strap button onto the heel. You can see a photo of him drilling it for the strap button in this thread. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?23333-Kanile-a-factory-tour-photos

I have played this uke a lot, and taken it on a lot of trips, and it shows. It does have some scratches on the back -- I tried to show it in a photo, as well as a small chip on the back bottom near the strap button, two chips on the headstock and one small chip on the top of the back. I tried to capture them all in photos, some came out better than others. I am a bad uke player and a worse photographer, clearly.

I know that Kanilea has these listed for $1475 now, so they have gone up quite a bit in price since I bought mine back in 2008. http://kanileaukulele.com/k-2_tenor.php?osCsid=29fb656501faac8118f06ac1c1dbe78b

I'm trying to get about $700 for this uke for local pickup, or $725 if you need it shipped. If you are local in SoCal, I would drive out to meet you to deliver it to you, and include a gig bag case -- you probably will want to replace it though since it says Kamoa on it. If you need to have it shipped, I'll pay the shipping, and I'll pick up a cheap hard case -- nothing special just more protective for shipping reasons.

Again, I'm not definitely listing it for sale yet, just checking to see if there is any interest out there for a K2 Kanilea tenor at half price -- admittedly with some wear and tear on her. It is currently strung with Worth CT strings but if you prefer low g, I can put some Worth clear low g strings on it for you.

Here are some pics:
attachment.php

attachment.php

The next photo shows the chip on the top of the back and the mark on the bottom right is just a flash reflection -- not a smudge, there is nothing wrong there.
attachment.php

This headstock photo shows the chip on the left side of the headstock, there is a similar, smaller one on the right side.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Two more shots of dings...
attachment.php

Sorry for the blurry factor, but the top of the back has a small chip in it, as well as a couple of scratches -- obtained because I was an idiot and took the photo of the uke on the rocks at the beach in the first post. :(

attachment.php

This one is tough to see but shows the tiny chip on the bottom of the back as well as the gold strap button.

Sorry for the blurry crappy photos, I'll try to take some better ones this weekend.

Last edited:
PM sent. I have been looking for a used Kanilea tenor.

I don't think you'd have a problem selling it. I nearly bought a similary blemished K-1 for about the same, but found a good deal on a mint K-1.

By the way, where did you get the bridge pins?

Chris

I don't think you'd have a problem selling it. I nearly bought a similary blemished K-1 for about the same, but found a good deal on a mint K-1.

By the way, where did you get the bridge pins?

Chris

I got them at Stew Mac but it was a while ago, I don't think they carry koa any more.

Also, uke has been sold so closing this thread.

Off to pick up my new Kanilea Premium tenor next week. I contributed the money fom this, and my spouse is paying the difference for my anniversary present. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom