Anyone want some nice koa?

saltytri

Reaction score
Today I ran across a nice unit of koa at a local supplier. The flat billets are about 6" x 1.75" x 28" to 30". The ones that are square in section are 3" and 3.5". One piece necks, anyone? Lots of the flat billets are perfectly quartersawn and some have light figure. Most all of it has very nice grain patterns. The seller said that he bought the unit from a guy who had it in storage for twenty years or so. He's selling it at $7.50/lb, which works out to $35-45 for a flat billet.

He'll take phone orders and ship. I've bought from him a number of times and he's a good guy. Jim at Hardwoods Plus in Grants Pass, Oregon, 541-471-4941.

7311389768_0ed9035c94_c.jpg

7312608560_00468a775d_c.jpg

Yeah, Allen, but you have no shortage of beautiful timbers there in Oz! That's fairly plain koa compared to some of the blackwood you have.

Yeah, Allen, but you have no shortage of beautiful timbers there in Oz! That's fairly plain koa compared to some of the blackwood you have.

Very true Rick. And I've got some really fantastic Blackwood on the shelves.

Funny thing here in Australia is that in the ukulele world, Blackwood is not appreciated near as much as it should be. I don't think that the ukulele buying public are all that educated about wood, so inquires always lean towards exotics (Koa being the prime contender). For guitars it's a different matter, and there's no trouble at all convincing that crowd of it's merits.

Very true Rick. And I've got some really fantastic Blackwood on the shelves.

Funny thing here in Australia is that in the ukulele world, Blackwood is not appreciated near as much as it should be. I don't think that the ukulele buying public are all that educated about wood, so inquires always lean towards exotics (Koa being the prime contender). For guitars it's a different matter, and there's no trouble at all convincing that crowd of it's merits.

:agree: There are so many other woods out there. We are trying to keep it local wood as much as we can

phone call placed...Thank You!

You're welcome. I hope it works out well. While selecting some pieces, I set aside a bunch of others that were just as nice for instrument building. I told Jim that I would be doing this post and that he might be getting a call from someone who would like those pieces. So, you ought to get some suitable stuff.

Thanks saltytri,
Jim pick out 3 nice pieces for me and sent me a picture of them. They will be on there way here shortly.

Brad

Top Bottom