Wahine tunings

SamWise

Reaction score
I find slack key guitar interesting, but not enough to want to learn it (I have enough to deal with in the guitar tunings I use already!). Uke in altered tunings, however, sounds like good times! Who does this, and has some ideas for me? I know I could tune it to something based on a guitar tuning, but I'm interested in a tuning and techniques that are authentically Hawaiian.

Thanks, but that was my first port of call. Lots of references to a song with Wahine in the title, mostly.

I did learn that a Wahine tuning is one with the major 7th of the chord in it. I also found some slack key ukulele lessons, but they were all about taro-patch, which is open g, which I already have a plenty good handle on from playing guitar.....

Now that's the guy who had the online lessons, but they all referred to open G. This is quite a passing interest at this point, so I'm not going to spend any money on a book, but it's worth noting for the future that this covers wahine tunings. Thanks!

I find slack key guitar interesting, but not enough to want to learn it (I have enough to deal with in the guitar tunings I use already!). Uke in altered tunings, however, sounds like good times! Who does this, and has some ideas for me? I know I could tune it to something based on a guitar tuning, but I'm interested in a tuning and techniques that are authentically Hawaiian.

Right on Bro. Slack Key has a facsinating history,, and is a style truely unique to the Hawaii Islands,, this traditional music nearly died out in the 30s-50s but has survived only just,,,,good to see discussion on the subject

Top Bottom