Low G; Changing Strings Questions

frets alot

Reaction score
From reading other posts, I realize many of you wouldn't agree if I chose to change to a low G on my tenor. So, if you want to discourage me from doing so, I can take it. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to do it. But, I do have some questions about uke string changing. As you can see from my signature, I'm quite familiar with changing steel strings, but totally new to the uke. I understand that many of you would suggest I get a second uke, and have one with the low G and leave the other. But, with the instruments I have, I think I have enough for now. So.....

1. On a uke, the way the strings are tied and secured at the bridge, can you replace just the low G string, without changing the first 3?

2. Is the low G always a wound string? This is the one I was considering from Elderly's:
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/ATUG.htm

Thanks for all your help.

1. Yes you can, especially if others are quite new

2. Not always. I believe Aquila do a non wound version low G

I wouldn't talk you out of it either - its just personal preference. I can understand the two ukes idea though. Bear in mind you may need to widen nut to accommodate a low G, and if you then want to switch back you may find the wider nut slot isn't great for the high G.

I love low g, I used to hate it but now it is rare that I play my high g uke, but yeah the purists will knock you. Other folks will maintain that whatever sounds best to you is most important, and for some that is high g for others it is low.

There are also some other non wound options including Worth, Fremont abd PhD - you may have to try multiple ones before you find what you like best on your uke.

Thanks to both of you. You are very helpful. I appreciate the feedback. I'm new to this, but am loving it so far. I play fingerstyle guitar and am really enjoying creating my own style on the uke. My uke is going on its first road-trip to Cedar Point. It will be a fun companion (along with my hubby and two dogs) after a day of riding coasters!

Again, thanks for your advice. I wouldn't mind if others chimed in.

Thanks to both of you. You are very helpful. I appreciate the feedback. I'm new to this, but am loving it so far. I play fingerstyle guitar and am really enjoying creating my own style on the uke. My uke is going on its first road-trip to Cedar Point. It will be a fun companion (along with my hubby and two dogs) after a day of riding coasters!

Again, thanks for your advice. I wouldn't mind if others chimed in.

Cedar Point! I remember going there as a teenager back when spinny-rides didn't make me hurl.
Word to the wise: I don't think they let dogs on the roller coasters. They aren't tall enough.

luluwrites...lol
Yeh, the dogs have to stay in the Motorhome while mom and dad are having fun. We love coasters and surely get our fill each year. IMHO, Cedar Point is the King of Amusement Parks (of course, Disney is the King of Theme Parks). Hey, I wonder if I can take my uke on the coaster, after all, it is a "travel" uke. Nah, I think they'd throw me out of the park. No sense of humor!

I play mostly solo stuff and frankly only low G works for me. All my ukuleles are strung with low G.

New questions...any advice on HOW to change out only the G string on a Kala with strings tied at the bridge, would be appreciated. Do I have to remove all the strings to change out the G? It looks like the way they are tied, the last string put on was the A, not the G. Is this a problem?

Let me add the Living Water Strings to the unwound ones - but they are only available in sets....

Depending on the way your strings are tied to the bridge it might be necessary to loosen all the others to pull out the G end. No need to remove all strings completely though.

You might need a pair of tweezers or similar to fiddle the new end back under all the other strings - at least my fingers are far to big for such delicate work....

Or you just fix it with a figure eight knot (more or less similar to the A string) and skip the fiddly part.
eight_knot_8102_lg-150x150.gif

I changed just the G string on my Kala and there was no trouble pulling that little tail out from below the C string. I didn't try to tuck the new one under again, though. I just left it and it's been fine.

I think non-wound low Gs are much nicer to play, and kinder to your uke! There are two quite new ones on the market; if you like Aquilas they now do a new non-wound low G which is a reddish colour, and you can buy the separately. They need care because they're very stretchy, but they sound good, IMHO. Also Ken Middleton's new Living Water Strings, which someone mentioned on the previous page - sorry "someone"! They are non-wound and very good. Have to buy the full set though. You'll find Ken's on his website, and the Aquila Red Series if you Google them. Hope this helps!

When it comes to the unwound style of low g strings, do investigate the Southcoast sets (their "linear" lines). There are a number of UU folks who use the Southcoast strings in all varieties. They are excellent, well-balanced strings with a great feel. I'm a big fan of unwound low g as I don't care for "wound rubbing and squeaking" sounds from my uke (though Joe Pass on wound jazz guitar is just fine, thank you very much!). Just my opinion and suggestion.

Thank you all....when I bought my newest tenor, Elderly threw in a new set of strings and a new Aquila red low g. So, for now, I think I'll put that on and see how it sounds, feels, etc. It sounds like alot of folks here have liked them. I may try the other suggestions too, after that. You all have been very helpful.

Top Bottom