PDA

View Full Version : Which uke would you buy if you had $3333.33?

kirbo
06-02-2012, 05:52 AM
We just sold our house and with a tidy profit. The wife said we could each spend NT$100,000 which equates to US$3333.33. Which uke would you buy? Would you blow it all on a custom or spread it around several ukes or maybe you wouldn't buy a uke at all? I'm leaning towards a KoAloha longneck soprano and a huge 65" flat screen.

luluwrites
06-02-2012, 05:57 AM
We just sold our house and with a tidy profit. The wife said we could each spend NT$100,000 which equates to US$3333.33. Which uke would you buy? Would you blow it all on a custom or spread it around several ukes or maybe you wouldn't buy a uke at all? I'm leaning towards a KoAloha longneck soprano and a huge 65" flat screen.

I'd take my spouse to Hawaii and pick out a ukulele in person.

kirbo
06-02-2012, 06:07 AM

I was considering that too!!!

GKK
06-02-2012, 06:27 AM

:agree:!!!...

RuckMonkey
06-02-2012, 06:54 AM
:agree: I second that!

njukeman
06-02-2012, 07:49 AM

:agree: I third that!

The Big Kahuna
06-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Makala Dolphin
Beer
Hookers

No ? Just me ?

kirbo
06-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Makala Dolphin
Beer
Hookers

No ? Just me ?

The wife would be fine with 1 and 2. 3, not so much.

bazmaz
06-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Yep - go to Hawaii and go mad.

uke4ia
06-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Personally, I'd get one of the Kamoa Evolve steel-string electric ukes. Then put the rest toward a Hawaiian vacation.

The Big Kahuna
06-02-2012, 08:53 AM
The wife would be fine with 1 and 2. 3, not so much.

I think you and I are going to get on just fine :)

Out of interest, that wouldn't happen to be a Pyrenean Mountain Dog in your avatar would it ?

kapahulu50
06-02-2012, 09:33 AM

Yup. Come on over, play hundreds of ukes at dozens of shops, meet the builders, and take one home! (uke, not a builder!)

Tudorp
06-02-2012, 11:05 AM
I would buy 34 or so LU-21s or similar and bless 34 kids with ukes that want to play them, but can't afford to own one.

mm stan
06-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Wow you can buy me a uke too...ha ha you did not mention how long you were playing...Koaloha is a great choice...

Hippie Dribble
06-02-2012, 12:25 PM
I'd order a soprano Moore Bettah. Then book a flight to Hawaii when it was done, pick her up in person and go stay with Stan and jam for a few days with eugenie, then bring both girls home :)

philpot
06-02-2012, 12:46 PM
I'd buy my dream ukulele. No holds barred ;)

RevWill
06-02-2012, 12:53 PM
I'd show Chuck the Gye Nyame symbol for inspiration and have me a Moore Bettah concert built.

mds725
06-02-2012, 12:56 PM
I like Tony's idea about gifting ukuleles to children who don't have them. If you really want an ukulele for yourself, too, then go to Hawaii with your wife for a short economical vacation, buy a nice ukulele for yourself while you're there, and then find an ukulele retailer (in Hawaii, online, wherever) to sell you a bunch of ukes at discount with however much money you have left for you to donate to children who want ukes but can't afford them.

Hippie Dribble
06-02-2012, 12:59 PM
I like Tony's idea about gifting ukuleles to children who don't have them. If you really want an ukulele for yourself, too, then go to Hawaii with your wife for a short economical vacation, buy a nice ukulele for yourself while you're there, and then find an ukulele retailer (in Hawaii, online, wherever) to sell you a bunch of ukes at discount with however much money you have left for you to donate to children who want ukes but can't afford them.
two birds, one stone. I like the way you think Mark...he he
:cheers:

Tudorp
06-02-2012, 01:22 PM
There ya go. That would be an awesome venture, and to bring back a few student ukes actually from the islands would make it that more special to the kids, and a story for them to tell too.. ;)

khairijamian
06-02-2012, 01:26 PM

I second that :agree:

chris3794
06-02-2012, 01:27 PM
with that kind of money, you should get a custom! :iwant:

Hippie Dribble
06-02-2012, 01:29 PM
There ya go. That would be an awesome venture, and to bring back a few student ukes actually from the islands would make it that more special to the kids, and a story for them to tell too.. ;)

Brother Tony, as we like to say in Australia, "you have a heart as big as Pharlap" :)
http://www.nma.gov.au/collections/highlights/phar-laps-heart

Tudorp
06-02-2012, 01:43 PM
As do yourself, and many others on this forum my brudda... But mine is for selfish reasons. It makes my day to see a kid that doesn't have allot to smile about, break out with a huge smile.. It's heart warming, and can be pretty addictive to watch.... ;)

Brother Tony, as we like to say in Australia, "you have a heart as big as Pharlap" :)
http://www.nma.gov.au/collections/highlights/phar-laps-heart

khairijamian
06-02-2012, 01:45 PM
with that kind of money, you should get a custom! :iwant:

:iwant: custom too!

webby
06-02-2012, 07:25 PM
I would do the Hawaii trip and pick out a nice uke while I was there, I would also look into a possible custom build, why not get your wife one off the rack in Hawaii (probably find one she likes for around 1500 to 2 grand) and then put the left over money with yours and order a custom for yourself, of course you will then have to get your wife's permission to play hers while you wait for yours to be built.

I would also try and have enough money spare to get myself to a Jake concert.

mds725
06-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Or you could go in a different direction and buy 100 pints of Three Twins Organic Ice Cream, personally delivered.
http://shop.threetwinsicecream.com/

Raygf
06-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I'd put it towards a DeVine baritone.

guitharsis
06-02-2012, 11:31 PM

Couldn't go wrong with a KoAloha longneck soprano. Congrats on the nice profit from the sale!

Rick
06-03-2012, 12:35 AM

Pay a visit to Chuck Moore and design your dream uke.

kirbo
06-03-2012, 12:51 AM
I think you and I are going to get on just fine :)

Out of interest, that wouldn't happen to be a Pyrenean Mountain Dog in your avatar would it ?

It's an Old English Sheepdog. Love big dogs!

kirbo
06-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Wow you can buy me a uke too...ha ha you did not mention how long you were playing...Koaloha is a great choice...

I've been playing for about 5 months. If I do have any money left over, ukes for kids is a great idea and if I've got after that, you are first on the list Stan. My wife is donating her loot to various charities.

The Big Kahuna
06-03-2012, 01:05 AM
It's an Old English Sheepdog. Love big dogs!

Yep, you and I are definitely going to get on fine.

I have a Pyrenean Mountain Dog and a St Bernard

webby
06-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Tell your wife there is this really cool Australian charity called "the webby ukulele collecting foundation"

I'll be happy to accept her donation :)

kirbo
06-03-2012, 04:05 AM

Wow! Awesome dogs!

Trinimon
06-03-2012, 04:05 AM

One of my best friend's sister breeds show quality St. Bernards. Oh man, those puppies will melt your hearts! They're soooo adorable! Wish they could stay that size. lol

Back on topic... I agree with other comments. Buy yourselves a ticket to Hawaii and pick up a uke when you get there. :)

haolejohn
06-03-2012, 06:05 AM
Hate to crash the party but tickets from Taiwan to Honolulu are about $1500. Them you have to have room and food. Not much left over for uke.

kirbo
06-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Hate to crash the party but tickets from Taiwan to Honolulu are about $1500. Them you have to have room and food. Not much left over for uke.

Yeah I figured that out. I can get them under a thou if I go through Shanghai. I may wait until after summer when prices go down a bit.

haole
06-03-2012, 06:25 AM
I'd buy a Makala dolphin and then spend the rest on about one-fifth of a semester of nursing school. :(

UK Paulie
06-03-2012, 06:26 AM
I'd have Paul Okami build me something nice!! Koaloha all the way!! Or put a few quid to it and get a devine.