The best brand/size ukulele for me personally?

KristenMcFly

Reaction score
I want to learn to play the ukulele and I have some questions about them before I actually dive into trying to play one. I'm new to the world of ukuleles (though not at all new to the world of stringed instruments) and I was wondering what type/brand of ukelele to get that would be a good starter for a low price. I'm particularly interested in playing Never Shout Never songs. I know he uses a tenor, but can his songs only be played on a tenor? (I have heard they are more expensive) also, where is a good place to buy one? Do they have them at somewhere like Guitar Center? If it helps at all, i play the viola (16 inch) and I think the size of a tenor is comparable to the size of a viola. Is this correct? Would it be helpful to me to start on a size similar to my current primary instrument? Are tenor ukuleles a lot more expensive than concert? (these are the 2 sizes I'm trying to choose between) Sorry about all of the questions, but I'm not extremely familiar with ukuleles yet. Thanks for the help!

Note: I think I like the look/sound of the concert the best, so I'm guess what I'm wondering is if it would be a much smaller leap from viola to tenor than from viola to concert.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

The differences between soprano, concert, and tenor lie primarily in tone, volume, and the number of frets. You can usually play the same songs on all three, in theory. I say "in theory" because the amount of space on the fretboard can vary quite a bit, so it can be tougher to cleanly play certain chords on a soprano if you have big fingers, or hard to reach certain positions on a tenor if you have small hands. I started on a concert, but I can play my tenor much more comfortably because I have big fingers.

My fiancee also plays the viola and my tenor is about the same size as her instrument, but she tells me that making chord shapes on the uke is quite different from playing notes or even double stops on the viola.

The best way to find out what fits you is to try out a variety of instruments. Your local Guitar Center will probably have a selection of ukes that you can try, so go play them. ALL of them. (The guys at my local shop hate it when I am shopping for a new instrument... ;) )

As for brand, there are other members here with far greater brand experience than I. I'm sure they will steer you right. :D

Last edited:
Hello Kristen. You'll get lots of good advice here. You can play any song on any size or type ukulele if you put your mind and skill to it. Satie on a soprano size Brüko ukulele and Vivaldi Four Seasons on an Eleuke - an electric ukulele that looks somewhat like an electric guitar. Guitar Center is a good place to pick up and play and get a feel for the size you most like. But if you buy from them you'll probably get an instrument that is not set up properly and that will be a problem. Same with Musician's Friend who will drop ship you anything they happen to pick up without inspection. It is not unusual to have to return an instrument to them that never should have been sent out in the first place. You can buy safely from Mainland Ukuleles, Uke Republic, Koa Pili Koko, Hawaiian Music Supply, and get a good set up from pros that specialize in the ukulele. You'll get the best sound from a soiid wood ukulele as opposed to a laminate with few exceptions. Solid wood ukuleles will be described as solid mahogany top, back and sides. If the description says solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides that means the back and sides are laminate. Doing all the necessary research and learning about your options is a great experience in and of itself. Keep us posted on your chice and ask any questions you want.

You have good advice so far. There are so many variables involved here that it's almost impossible to give any type of real recommendation. For example, size does not matter when it comes to prices... You can buy a particular tenor for about $100 or a concert for $2500. you see what I mean?

Bill is definitely correct about buying from a shop that will do the set up on the ukulele. While all new ukes should have this done, it seems that the lower the price, the greater the need to have it done.

If you give us a general idea of where your located, I'm sure someone will chime in as to where a reputable shop is located in your area.

Here's a link to get your research going: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?11346-Info-Thread-Entry-Level-Ukuleles

BTW, what's your budget?

Last edited:
Top Bottom