i need a tenor ukulele, any suggestions?

Nate95

Reaction score
i was wondering if any of you have suggestions for a tenor ukulele up to $320. Thanks!:D

Check with MGM, quite sure he can hook you up with an 'uke to fit your needs.

I really wan't it to sound good and i don't need it to be beautiful but i wood like it to look nice. I will also check MGM. Thank you. I was also wanting it to be acoustic electric (forgot to mention that).

Last edited:
i always thought the applause ukes (is that acoustic electric.. dont hate, im still learning :D ) were around $500. i looked up aldrines 1's and they were around $500.

i think all ukes look great, sound over beauty.

What do you mean by choosing a sound?

What do you mean by choosing a sound?

I don't know what freedive means by "choose a sound." You can't rightly choose a sound before you even hear them, can you?

You should just go through MGM's eBay store, as others have suggested. MGM sets up the ukulele for you, gives you a pitch pipe and a case, has quick delivery, and even upgrades your strings to Aquilas.

You're probably going to get a Kala, incidentally. Kala's are nice. Many UU members have a Kala. I have a cedar top Kala with a pickup and I'm very happy with it.

If sound is more important than looks for you, I'd suggest you get an ukulele with a solid wood top/soundboard. At your price range, the tops will be either cedar or spruce. Any other top will probably not be solid wood.

What I ment was going with a Spruce top for brightness or Cedar for a little more warmth or even though its not a solid top the Mahogany for depth and bark and so on....
Even with out hearing a certian uke you would think what kind of voice/sound to expect from it.

One of the guys in my class has that Cedar/Koa Tenor and it sounds very nice,smooth and warm. I have the Spruce/Maple Tenor and like it ALOT sounds like a giant Soprano in brightness and very LOUD, I also have the Mahogany one and even my Instructor is impressed with the sound from a nonsoild top. I like the Mango (not solid) too has the warmth of the Cedar with the bark of the Mahogany.

I guess I'm just lucky to have a well stocked Uke store to play around in even though I don't play very well (yet) I get to learn alot from those guys there.

Last edited:
gimme an F, gimme a L, gimme a U, gimme a K gimme an E!!! whats that spell???????? FLUKE!!! get one, you wont regret it at alllll. they are the best.:D

Hey, i checked mgm (thanks for telling me about the place everybody!) and i am wondering if this ukulele is solid wood or laminate.
KALA KA-KTE
i also wondered if any of you knew about KALA KA-FMTE at mgm. Would i being paying for looks or sound with this ukulele.
THanks!

Last edited:
Hey Nate
The KA-KTE is the same as the Cedar/Koa and the KA-FMTE is the Maple/Spruce I am talking about in the past ^^post^^. Both are solid tops but lamanited bodys.

i got a lanikai and its pretty good
its laminated and playes nice i dont remember what the # is though

KALA KA-KTE - Laminate body and top

KALA KA-FMTE - Laminate body, solid top

KA-ASMTEC - Solid body, solid top

Thanks everybody! I'm probably going to get the KA-ASMTEC. Now all i have to do is sell my guitar.

Seeso's right

my bad the KTE is not the KTE-CT which my friend has I thought they were the same.

From an article I was reading yesterday about that Flamed/Spalted maple most of the builders that use it do it as a Laminate due to the cracking issues, when solid if it cracks it tends to "Split open", but it sure is pretty.

Last edited:
I know this sounds weird but i was wondering if i could bring down my price range to $250. What ukuleles would be solid woods there?

Top Bottom