Builders of ukes w/ sloted head board ???

UkeOG

Reaction score
If anyone is presently building ukes w/ slotted head board, I have 4 tuners that came from Tangi ukulele shop. I bought a used Tangi Koa soprano(2006). (not sloted). It was probably a second (blemished) that was set up w/something he had over stocked. (guess?). they look NEW. I am presently replacing w/ friction tuners and I'd like to sell these tuners.
$13. Shipped (conus)

Jamie
UkeOG

photo

http://s784.photobucket.com/albums/yy122/michaelbondad/Tangi Ukulele/

Last edited:
What makes you think that they are for slot heads? If they are then the string hole will be in the centre of the post without any scallop on the end of the post. Hardly ever supplies with a bushing that is pressed into the front of the headstock in this case, or the slot if they truly are for a slot head.

If they are for a paddle head then there will be a scallop and the hole for the string will usually be in the lowest part of that scallop and will have the aforementioned bushing. Impossible to tell from the back side of the head stock though.

Allen and Aaron

Hey, Good questions! I had an after thought that luthiers (the IQ+ of UU) would need more confirmation (the "specs"). The posts are not clearly visible in the front photo, but they are 25 mm long, w/o scallop or bushings. There are 2 string holes in each post, one near the base of the peg board and one at the end of the post. I was very surprised with these tuners but very happy w/ the Uke!
Tangi was a very eclectic builder. From photos, he did build concert or Baritones w/double slots (6 String) and fluke style single slots.
Tangi photo album. http://www.myspace.com/tangihawaii/...346#mssrc=SitesPhotos_SP_AlbumCover_ViewAlbum

I bought a used koa soprano. The box is slightly larger than a "standard" 21.5 in. long, 7 in @ lower bout. The greatest surprise, not evident in the photos is a very beautiful dramatic (almost "sculpted") arched back. It begins at 52mm at the end rising to 57mm (below the beginning of sound hole) falling to 47mm at the heal. The "line" continues through heal plate, which ends at 45mm. Nice touch! The side board at the end has the slightest bow/arc ? I am very happy with this uke !!!!!!! Anyway I am looking to pass the tuners along.

I feel this uke was a "second" because of the blemish near sound hole. The gloss finish on the top is very soft and scratches very easily. My finger nails caused very visible scratches just putting strings on the uke. The uke arrived with No scratches and no strings, which leads me to believe this uke may not have been played very often. I am not interested in the appearance at this time. I am more interested in playing (it sounds great!). But I might be interested in refinishing the top in the future. Even going to a satin finish. Any advice ?????????

JAMIE Cincinnati, Ohio USA

Last edited:
Ok, I'll bite.

My last advice is to play the instrument as is. If you don't like it, sell it and get another one.

If that's not enough, then here's more: Edit: I had this whole long response, but it's not worth anyone's $.02. I stand by my last recommendation.

Aaron

Those are pretty low end tuners; I doubt that many here (mostly high end builders...) would be interested. Also, switching to friction tuners will leave you with eight very visible screw holes in the back of the peghead.

Thanks, very sound advice! I need to play more, talk less. Sorry, I went somewhat overboard with the chatter. And as stated below I over esimated the value of these tuners. For the time and skill to build a slotted headstock you'd want top end tuners. I did enjoy viewing the custom ukes on Allen's "Burrenn River Guitars" site. Beautifully crafted one of a kinds.
Thanks to all for the interest and advice,
Jamie

Top Bottom