Inherited a souvenier uke...now what?

bandonart

Reaction score
Beautiful Pacific Northwest coast, Oregon
Amongst the lovelier items, I recently inherited a souvenire ukulele. Apparently, my grandparents took a cruise to Hawaii somewhere in the early 60's. They brought back two of these beauties (the descriptive words are about as loose as the strings) and now one is mine. I have the "better" of the two and to my limited experience, it is intact. Missing, of course, are the strings and one little "key" that is turned during the tuning process. The "pegs" are all there at the top and the bottom.

My question: I'd like to play the instrument someday. I already play the mandolin, tin whistle, recorder and hammered dulcimer. Thought the ukulele would be a nice addition. How much should I consider spending to bring the instrument up to snuff? I know how much a new one would cost but the sentimental aspect is very important to me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm sorry I don't know the brand name, but I do know it was clearly a souvenier instrument and has been mistreated by 30 grandchildren along the way.

PS> Please excuse my proper uke-lingo, it's late...I'll be better next time.

Best regards,

bandonART

Amongst the lovelier items, I recently inherited a souvenire ukulele. Apparently, my grandparents took a cruise to Hawaii somewhere in the early 60's. They brought back two of these beauties (the descriptive words are about as loose as the strings) and now one is mine. I have the "better" of the two and to my limited experience, it is intact. Missing, of course, are the strings and one little "key" that is turned during the tuning process. The "pegs" are all there at the top and the bottom.

My question: I'd like to play the instrument someday. I already play the mandolin, tin whistle, recorder and hammered dulcimer. Thought the ukulele would be a nice addition. How much should I consider spending to bring the instrument up to snuff? I know how much a new one would cost but the sentimental aspect is very important to me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm sorry I don't know the brand name, but I do know it was clearly a souvenier instrument and has been mistreated by 30 grandchildren along the way.

PS> Please excuse my proper uke-lingo, it's late...I'll be better next time.

Best regards,

bandonART

Aloha Brandon, If your uke is structurally sound then you may only need some new strings and a few new tuners to be up and running. If you've got cracks or neck separation it may not be worth putting the money into if this is a cheap instrument. Of course with the sentimental value included you may want to reconsider.

Good luck,
Scott

Any chance of some pic's ?

Any chance of some pic's ?
Welcome to UU brandonart
Yes, photos would help a lot. Some souvenir ukes are really meant as decoration, while others might actually be playable. Since you already play some stringed instruments, and you are interested in ukuleles, you might get an inexpensive new uke and see how you like it. The ease of playing and tone will be a better experience than forcing a possible wall decoration to play music. Makala Dolphin bridge (with proper set-up) is probably the least expensive player. If you are willing to spend a bit more, look at the Kala and Ohana brands. The cost of a Makala Dolphin (around $40) would probably be less than having the souvenir brought up to playing condition unless you have some bargin uke repair folks nearby.

–Lori

Thanks, all...good advice

I'm not surprised by the advise given and Lori, thanks for the great suggestions on ukulele choices. I got a good laugh today when I looked at the options of a) repair, b) protective case, and/or c) getting the instrument back from my Mother's home to mine if I can can't get a case that will get it safely onto the plane with me.

Guess I don't have to give the dollar amount for everyone to understand my decision...inasmuch as it is structurally sound, I'm going to restring it myself (great YouTube videos for just about everything, yes), pack it in a box with lots of bubble wrap and carry it on the plane home as my carry-on luggage. Then, with a sturdy nail, it will become the wall art it was intended for and with the savings...

I'M GOING UKULELE SHOPPING!!!!

Thanks, everyone,

bandonART :eek:

Hi BandonART,
First, welcome to UU, and welcome to the ukulele. You are going to have a blast!

As a vintage ukulele guy, can I suggest you post a picture BEFORE you put a nail through your ukulele. Some 60's souvenir ukuleles are indeed junk, and some are better than you would imagine! Sometimes when I look at vintage ukulele's on eBay and see what someone did in the past it makes me want to cry as I am sure a previous owner didn't know what they had. Of course, it is yours and you may do with it as you wish but if you have a decent little ukulele there, you could get some Martin Flurocarbon strings, and a set of Ping tuners, together they should set you back less than $20 total......and you could have a playable ukulele.

Didn't quite mean THROUGH the uke..

Thanks for the info on strings and tuners, but before anyone has an unnecessary coronary event, I didn't quite mean I was going to drive the nail THROUGH the ukulele, just as a means of hanging the dude to the wall...however, I am somewhat nearsighted so who knows what might have happened.

I'll include some pix when I get to Mother's in July. It will be interesting to see just what I have on my hands. My banjo-picking brother tells me the pair of ukes are not terribly valuable, but maybe he just said that because he inherited the other one!

Thanks again,

bandonART

Top Bottom