Koaloha soprano with tenor neck or ohana sk30-l

1300cc

Reaction score
has anyone compared the sound of koaloha vs ohana in soprano long neck model?

I never had, so I can't help there. However, as much as I like Ohana, comparing it to a Koaloha might not be so fair. Kinda like comparing a Porche with a Volkswagen.

Very true. The KoAloha's and Ohana's are two different animals. Both very nice animals but different:) We carry both and have had many happy customers for either. The KoAloha's will be louder, richer and warmer sounding but for the money the Ohana's are a really nice sounding uke.

Good luck

I never had, so I can't help there. However, as much as I like Ohana, comparing it to a Koaloha might not be so fair. Kinda like comparing a Porche with a Volkswagen.
I was thinking if the sound of koaloha is just a margin better than ohana, then ill go for ohana sk30l

I was thinking if the sound of koaloha is just a margin better than ohana, then ill go for ohana sk30l

I've been walking a parallel line on whether to go with the Koaloha giraffe myself. Then I hear about the Ohana giraffe, and now I'm really stuck with pre-UAS (multiple ukes fighting to get to the top of my priority list)!

I recently made a video that includes comparing my Ohana SK-25Z to my KoAloha Pineapple. Two very different sounds! Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKYpV...ature=youtu.be

If you like "bright", the Ohana is great. If you like "warm," you may prefer the KoAloha.

I've never played a long neck soprano. But I've played several Ohanas and several Koalohas. But, I agree with Tudorp. Although it's a very nice instrument, an Ohana isn't in the same league as a Koaloha as far as sound.

The KoAloha will have a much better resale if you ever wish to sell it someday. Ohanas, being less expensive, can be ordered new, with free shipping and warranty, from numerous sellers...few would buy an inexpensive ukulele used.

KoAlohas seemingly sell for about $100-$150 under what you paid for it at any time you wish to sell it. And, the prices keep rising for all the big K brands in 2012, making future resale even more assured.

So, all in all, the Koaloha is cheaper to own.

Most used ukuleles sell for 50%-75% of what they cost new. I've even seen Koalohas in that range, but if you buy an Ohana for $300, and sell it for 50%-75% later, you will probably come out about the same. I usually solve that big first depreciation hit by buying used to start with - then you can probably get what you paid for it.

As far as tone and volume, I'd rather have a Koaloha any day, based on comparing them to my Lanikai and Ohanas at uke meetups.

Top Bottom