PDA

View Full Version : versatile ukes

J'aime
06-03-2012, 09:38 AM
One thing I love about ukes and uke people: it is okay and normal to play different kinds of music. It seems like with most instruments, the first question people ask you is, "Well, what kind of music do you want to play?" and they don't like it when I say "All of it." :p

It seems like uke people consider it okay to play bluegrass, then classical, then strum & sing a pop song, all on the same instrument. I feel like playing different kinds of music on different days. I think it's good for me, as a beginner. So what if I turn into "jill of all trades, mistress of none."

I'm hoping to add some jazz standards to the mix eventually, but I might need to learn some more chords first. ;)

The Big Kahuna
06-03-2012, 10:15 AM
I can't even begin to describe the extent to which I approve of this post. I took my Ukes to show my mother this weekend, and she was amazed when I played some jazz and classical music on them. She was expecting Tiny Tim or George Formby, the same as everyone else.

Mandalyn
06-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I love playing jazz standards. Nothing like playing the music you love. :)

Booksniffer
06-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Excellent point!

I don't know about most other instruments, but I looked into learning to play two different ones a while ago (concertina and mandolin - SO glad I ended up picking the ukulele!) and it almost seemed like you had to pick a certain kind of music you wanted to play, almost before ever touching an instrument.

My music collection is very eclectic, I don't see why the selection of music I (try to) play shouldn't be!

Manalishi
06-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Realistically, I play a lot of different stuff.But my favourite
since taking up the uke,has to be old time stuff, which a
lot of was written with the uke in mind anyway!
I can still play the old 60's stuff I learned on guitar at that
time but aside from nostalgia,it doesn't have the same buzz
that I get from the music hall stuff!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
06-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Hi J'aime, my son recently graduated from CWU in Graphic Arts. He still lives and works in Ellensburg.

I'm writing to invite you to click on the links below my signature, esp the Boot Camp, to assist you
in learning more chords to help you play all kinds of music :)

keep uke'in',

amandadverse
06-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Love your enthusiasm! I must admit that when I first purchased my uke, I had very little idea of the range of music available. I'm still learning my chords, but I can't wait to learn some oldies and jazz, and pop. I find myself listening to music with "Gee, would this make a good uke tune?" on my mind. Haha.

J'aime
06-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks, Uncle Rod, I had your Boot Camp already but hadn't seen the Songbook. Great stuff!

jonyoon
06-05-2012, 01:32 PM
I can't even begin to describe the extent to which I approve of this post. I took my Ukes to show my mother this weekend, and she was amazed when I played some jazz and classical music on them. She was expecting Tiny Tim or George Formby, the same as everyone else.

Agreed. I dumbfounded an open mic this past Sunday when I busted out Hanson's MmmBop on the uke.

Nickie
06-07-2012, 09:35 AM
J'aime,
You sound like a really cool gal. You've got the right idea. Before I started learning the uke, I was a music snob. All I wanted to listen to were Bluegrass and Classical music. Now. i want to play everything I can possibly learn. Bluegrass and Classical are still my faves, and will probably be the last I learn, I think they're the hardest to play, even on the uke...
Ukulele is the first instrument I've ever been successful at learning. and now I'm learning my love of all loves, piano...
You go, girl!

barefootgypsy
06-07-2012, 10:38 AM
One thing I love about ukes and uke people: it is okay and normal to play different kinds of music. It seems like with most instruments, the first question people ask you is, "Well, what kind of music do you want to play?" and they don't like it when I say "All of it." :p

It seems like uke people consider it okay to play bluegrass, then classical, then strum & sing a pop song, all on the same instrument. I feel like playing different kinds of music on different days. I think it's good for me, as a beginner. So what if I turn into "jill of all trades, mistress of none."

I'm hoping to add some jazz standards to the mix eventually, but I might need to learn some more chords first. ;)Like you, I love all these things! Real oldies, folk, classical, bluegrass, ANYTHING. Whatever I'm in the mood for. It's music! See ukulelemike Mike Lynch and Glen Rose "jazzy ukulele" for jazz chords - they sound just great!