New to this

ivan209

Reaction score
Hello so was thinking of buying a ukulele some time this month; however I'm not sure on what kind I should get. I've played a little bit before, usually on friend's, where I've been able to pick out some 4 chords and such. I would like to know however what kind I should get. I've decided on either a concert or tenor. I was thinking a tenor since I'm a fairly big guy (6' 2"). I happen to play piano so I was hoping the bigger size would help better in the long run. I also like how the tenor sounds more as well

Also if possible where I should go and get one. I know my local guitar center carries some, for decent price., or if anyone knows of a good store in my area (Las Vegas) to go down and buy one. I'm wanting to not have to spend to much, maybe about $250-300 at most if possible. Also thanks for the help.

Hello, and welcome!
I have a solid mahogany Kala uke that fits right about in your price range. I got it from Mim's Ukes. There are some pretty decent ukes in that price range. I recommend getting one from a dealer like her, rather than a guitar shop, they tend to mostly regard ukuleles as toys for people who can't afford a "real guitar". You want to get your uke from someone who will deliver it set up already...
If your hands are proportionate to your height, I'd say a tenor might be about right for you. That size requires a little more dough than a concert, for the same make of uke. There are also some pretty good deals from time to time in our Market Place.

Welcome aboard!

I am not quite as tall as you, but I have big fingers. I started with a concert but I am much more comfortable playing my tenor. The main thing will be how it feels to you.

Nickie is right about the attitude of some guitar stores, but you may be able to find one that will do a proper setup for you. If you don't feel like you're being taken seriously, then definitely go with a dealer like Mim's or Hawaii Music Supply - they send out ukes ready to play.

For that price you should consider a Mainland Ukulele. http://www.mainlandukuleles.com/

I have four, personally, and for the price, you can't beat them (in my opinion)! I would suggest checking out video reviews of various brands. If not Mainland, then definitely go through someone like Mim who will send you a wonderfully set up ukulele with a personal touch!

Welcome

Hi Ivan. I would recommend a concert style. Concert is great for beginners and and a good size. I have a 15cm uke (some beginners think when we say 15 cm., they think the hole thing is 15 cm... NO!) but anyways. As far as brands go, it never matters. ukes usually vary from ($100-500) it's really your choice how much u wanna spend but i would lean more towards 150-200. Just because i dont believe in making a huge investment in something you're just getting started on. They ar all made the same. Start small and go up from there

Welcome Ivan. You might consider going to your local music shop to try out the different sizes, but I agree with everyone. Buy from a real Ukulele Dealer Those mentioned above will all treat you right as will Uke Republic.

Keep us posted and we need pictures on "New Uke Day"!

Top Bottom